Will BDS rear leaf springs soften up/break in?

Well dang, and you did reset you computer to acknowledge the upgraded tires? I know you have 35's but maybe have it set for a 295/60r20 in the computer so the actual size is more closely set to correct size. I'm sure you have already thought of all that I'm just reaching for straws as I purchased 35's and the BDS kit and wouldn't want the troubles your experiencing.

Well dang, and you did reset you computer to acknowledge the upgraded tires? I know you have 35's but maybe have it set for a 295/60r20 in the computer so the actual size is more closely set to correct size. I'm sure you have already thought of all that I'm just reaching for straws as I purchased 35's and the BDS kit and wouldn't want the troubles your experiencing.

zero issues with mine. 6" bds and 35's, I think alot of the problems are from poor installs or alignment issues. If you don't do it yourself have a reputable shop install your lift and you will be fine. Call bds and ask them about the issues Payton is experiencing and they will tell you they've sold 1000's of these kits with almost zero issues. If something is messed up bds will make it right with you. They have awesome customer service and make the best quality lifts in the business. Pull the trigger on the bds and you won't be disappointed.

I already did pull the trigger on the 6" BDS lift w/ Fox shocks, and am just waiting for it to show up to have it installed. I had to buy everything I wanted from different places to ensure I paid the least possible amount rather than getting a package deal.

Edited by Robert.jean1

I replced wheel speed sensors and it doesn't happen anymore.

I would be willing to bet that this might be his problem. The installer that installed his kit probably did a poor job and didn't re route lines and cables. There is alot more involved than just throwing these kits in than people think, proper clearances, etc. Bds is top of the line and i've used lots of there kits with zero issues and on some of my trucks i've pounded on them pretty bad, but i've since out grown those days.

Here is another question, will the rear be the same height as the front if installing the 5" rear blocks or will the front some how sit higher? Or will the stance of the truck maintain a little bit of rake? Looking at pictures online of trucks with the 6" BDS lift makes me uncomfortable as I have zero interest in that type of lower in the rear look.

Here is another question, will the rear be the same height as the front if installing the 5" rear blocks or will the front some how sit higher? Or will the stance of the truck maintain a little bit of rake? Looking at pictures online of trucks with the 6" BDS lift makes me uncomfortable as I have zero interest in that type of lower in the rear look.

With the block my truck sat 1 inch lower in the back.

I already did pull the trigger on the 6" BDS lift w/ Fox shocks, and am just waiting for it to show up to have it installed. I had to buy everything I wanted from different places to ensure I paid the least possible amount rather than getting a package deal.

I have been following every forum on lifts and have held off from pulling the trigger on ordering BDS 6" coil over when I heard about Payton's problems. Some others have had Stablitrac issues but only at higher speeds. I am concerned with comments that the rear spring pack is too stiff but that blocks will be more prone to wrap. Right about now, I am so confused, I don't know which way to go. Please post your experiences once you have your lift, or PM me if easier. I am really interested in how you make out. Ride, fender height, handling, glad you did it, etc. Thanks

Oh I will post any and all information I get. It is because of Payton's truck that I decided to go with the BDS lift and his truck is the closest example of what I want mine to look like, and I hope that I don't experience the same Stabilitrac issues that plague him and a few others.

My lift was installed correctly the quality of the job is top notch. when I had talked to BDS in the past 6 weeks they do acknowledge I am not the only one with stabilitrack issues but these complaints have only been in the past 3 months. They had 0 complaints before and they are confident GM has made the programing more sensitive. Today I went a BDS authorized shop near me today to see about them lowering my coilovers 1.5" since I couldn't get the collars to turn. They can't do it for a few weeks but they said I should be able to they may just be tight. If I can't do it they said they will. I also told them everything about my lift and whats going on and they called their tech guy at BDS but he was out. So later n the day I called Jeremy at BDS and he was awesome. He immediately had logical answers for all my questions. 1st he said the stabilitrack issue does happen but it can be fixed but it is all in the alignment. He said the oe specs may need modifications depending on lift amount wheel offsets and tire size. He said these new truck sensors are extremely sensitive and if one wheel reads a few enthuse different speed it triggers stabilitrak. I need to find a shop that does alignments on lifted truck and a tech that does not simply rely on the laser alignment computer because it needs to be tweaked possibly may need slight negative camber to counter the tires edge scraping in turns. He also said the Fox coiler are adjustable on the truck but with preload removed, lube the threads and using a 1/4" punch or steel rod. The BDS spanner wrench will not fit on the collar with the frame and reservoir hose in the way. HE said they will be very tight and the best was to adjust is off the truck with a spring compressor. The stiff rear springs he said will break in more if I am towing or hauling and compressing them more. He also suggested when the bed is empty run lower PSI in the tires. I am running 40 in front and 42 in rear which is correct for the truck weight and the Mickey Thompson calculation but 42 in rear is for when bed is fully loaded or towing heavy trailer. He strongly suggested dropping to 35 maybe even to 30psi in rear. Jeremy was awesome and made a point not to hesitate and call him they will make sure everything gets worked out. He also said it may be difficult to get the alignment just right since so many shops do not know how to do an alignment with out a computer telling them what to do.

So now I need an alignment shop if Mchenry County IL anyone know of any that specialize in lifted trucks. NTB messed the alignment up when mounting the tires and the dealer totally screwed the alignment when I had sensors reset. I can go to the shop my BDS dealer uses but its over an hr away.

• 3 months later...

So BDS emailed me couple weeks ago and said they have a new Spindle design to fix the stabilitrack and shipped to me for free but they will not cover any install costs even though it is a design flaw on their part. I am not even sure if I will bother installing them I am to the point I hate my truck. Aside from the stabilitrck the ride with the BDS leaf springs is horrible and don't understand why other forums people say the BDS springs are a little stiffer then stock but mine rides like the rear is on steel beams. There is no movement or flex. I think they have had plenty of time to break in. 6 months and 3000miles on the lift. My ride is so bad its undrivable. I just hauled a couple loads of mulch this week and I think the ride is firmer after I emptied the bed. I cant figure it out. There is also a thud/clunk from the rear when going over bumps.

Well, that is disappointing to read. I too have the same set up as you do and am quite happy with the ride. The springs are a little bit firmer than the stock ride was. I live in New England where the roads are terrible. Pot holes and patches are everywhere due to the frost heaves, but I think the truck rides just fine. I have trailered with it, and it rides great with that hooked up too.

I wonder if you have something else going on? Bad shock? Shackle mounts too tight? Wrong springs? I have 700 miles on my lift and I just re-torqued everything this weekend. The u bolts needed some tightening, but everything else looked good. Also,(knock on wood) I have not seen any stabiltrac issues either. Other than height, my wife has commented that it rides like it did before the lift. Something must be wrong with your set up. Have you tried to remove the shocks and see if it makes any difference? In any event, good luck with your search, and I hope you figure it out.

I thought the wrong springs maybe I got 3/4ton springs but the part number matches. I checked shackles they are good. I took the shocks off to clear coat them to protect from salt this winter. And before I bolted the bottom mount back up I pushed down on the bumper to see how stiff the springs were and I was amazed how soft they are. The truck had plenty of flex with shocks disconnected. My issues is the shocks which was the last thing I expected. When I bolted the shocks back to the axle one I could compress and connect and it felt like other shocks I had in past on old trucks. It seemed to have the right amount of resistance. Then the passenger side was nearly impossible to compress. I used both hands and it was definitely much more difficult to get mounted. This is also the same side of the truck where the rear sits 1/2" higher than driver side. I think I have a bad shock or maybe the wrong shock. There are no parts on the shock body to check though.