Powder Coat Bumpers??

So I was considering pulling off my bumpers to drop off for powder coating, and wanted to get everyones input. I attempted to search the forum with no luck on the topic. First off, is it going to be a huge pain removing the bumpers and all of the plastic, lights, etc? Should I look at other options like paint or wrap? If you have done any of the above please feel free to respond. I would just like to know what kind of project I would be getting myself into. Thanks in advance.

Powder coat is fine as long as you can match the color and if there isn't a lot of orange peel from lack of proper curing... I'm pissy about that. Removing the bumpers isn't difficult front or rear but I would paint and clear wrap if it were me.

RT

Powder coat is fine as long as you can match the color and if there isn't a lot of orange peel from lack of proper curing... I'm pissy about that. Removing the bumpers isn't difficult front or rear but I would paint and clear wrap if it were me.

RT

I spoke with a paint shop today and they actually recommended powder coating.

Plasti dipped bumpers, moldings, wheels, emblems etc...Any questions feel free to shoot.

212txdl.jpg

Looks great but I'll probably stay away from plastidip on the bumpers. I'll use it all day on emblems though!

Yes, to take the front bumper off is very time consuming but worth it in the end.

I had my front and rear bumpers media blasted, powder coated red then painted victory red to match. The powder coat will keep the bumpers from rusting long term and I felt that it was the only way to go. Spend the extra money and do it right. Powder coating isn't very expensive.

The above grill guard from a Jeep looks like a factory by the masses powder coat which is more like a paint job; corners cut for profit. Powder is extremely durable when the prep work is done right and a quality powder is being used.

I couldn't justify painting a 40k+ truck with anything out of a spray can but to each their own.

Yes, to take the front bumper off is very time consuming but worth it in the end.

I had my front and rear bumpers media blasted, powder coated red then painted victory red to match. The powder coat will keep the bumpers from rusting long term and I felt that it was the only way to go. Spend the extra money and do it right. Powder coating isn't very expensive.

The above grill guard from a Jeep looks like a factory by the masses powder coat which is more like a paint job; corners cut for profit. Powder is extremely durable when the prep work is done right and a quality powder is being used.

I couldn't justify painting a 40k+ truck with anything out of a spray can but to each their own.

As a Victory Red fan and owner, I'd really like to see pics of yours. DId you have the 3M clear film installed over the powder/paint combo?

Is an evening enough time to get the bumpers stripped? Or should I set aside longer?

As a Victory Red fan and owner, I'd really like to see pics of yours. DId you have the 3M clear film installed over the powder/paint combo?

Who installs the 3M clear film? A body shop?

I will get some pics up within the next week. New to the forum.

I don't have the 3M clear film. I'm getting my front windows tinted next week and am going to find out what it cost for the 3M. Probably not a bad investment.

Is an evening enough time to get the bumpers stripped? Or should I set aside longer?

Who installs the 3M clear film? A body shop?

An evening is enough time to get the bumpers off.

Most tint shops or car vinyl companys do the clear film.

I will get some pics up within the next week. New to the forum.

I don't have the 3M clear film. I'm getting my front windows tinted next week and am going to find out what it cost for the 3M. Probably not a bad investment.

An evening is enough time to get the bumpers off.

Most tint shops or car vinyl companys do the clear film.

There's an eBay store that sells the 3M bra pre-cut specifically for the bumpers on our trucks. Here's a listing for $150 for the lower bumper and the upper painted bumper cover, and they have options for having the parking sensors precut or not- http://www.ebay.com/itm/131549187867?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For $270, they have a kit for the upper and lower bumper, painted mirrors, hood and fenders. http://www.ebay.com/itm/141709207123?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They have installation videos in their store. Seems easy enough with the pre-cut products. I'm thinking the film for the lower and upper bumper would need to be precut, but the fenders, mirrors and hood could be done fairly easily with a roll, X-Acto knife, and patience. I really hope someone buys one of the bumper kits and reports back about the install.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived