Waiting for Michelins

Was going to have 6000 mi tires rotated and balanced this morning and as usual an issue came up. One tire had a large screw imbedded next outside grove and considered non repairable. Guess could have ordered another SRA but decided to replace all with Michelins. Waiting for them now and with two large tire distributors nearby should be delivered this afternoon. So all the other stuff I've been saving for is on hold

I'd still have them repair it and see if it holds. I've been told the same thing before on my tires and just went with a patch/plug. And why all four tires? Why not just buy one? Or even a used tire?

I'd still have them repair it and see if it holds. I've been told the same thing before on my tires and just went with a patch/plug. And why all four tires? Why not just buy one? Or even a used tire?

Most all commercial shops will not repair anything from the outside tread block to the sidewall for liability reasons. Sure you can take it to a less than ethical shop and have them do it, but why? I wouldn't want to take a chance on that repair. If the tire is under-inflated at all and heats up the repair could fail.

What model Michelin did you go with?

LTX M/S 2 haven't been out on highway yet but can tell difference driving around town. Guess could risk a plug or bought a new tire but was going to switch to Michelins eventually. I've driven delivery and service vans with M/S and Michelins on a Monte Carlo I owned few years ago

I've been debating keeping my 20" wheels and switching over to the Michelin At2's. 90% of my driving is highway and they seem like they would be a great improvement in dry and wet conditions compared to my OE LS2's. Post up some pictures!

I've been debating keeping my 20" wheels and switching over to the Michelin At2's. 90% of my driving is highway and they seem like they would be a great improvement in dry and wet conditions compared to my OE LS2's. Post up some pictures!

Truck looks kinda plain now with blackwalls, maybe need chrome mirror caps and door handles . Considering removing mud flaps

65-75 hwy this morning, truck shook all over,back to shop Saturday for rebalance Dang it! Took it first time for slight shake 70mph with Good Years

Have you had vibration issues on your truck before switching out to the Michelins? My OE Goodyears had to get re-balanced about 3k miles ago because I was getting a terrible seat vibration at around those speeds. I was luck since the issue was fixed by simply road-force balancing them at the dealer. Other members have not had the same luck and have had differentials, shocks, and other items replaced.

You might want to take your truck to the dealer and have them balance your new tires. I'm not all sure what "road-force balance" is different from the traditional "balancing".

Have you had vibration issues on your truck before switching out to the Michelins? My OE Goodyears had to get re-balanced about 3k miles ago because I was getting a terrible seat vibration at around those speeds. I was luck since the issue was fixed by simply road-force balancing them at the dealer. Other members have not had the same luck and have had differentials, shocks, and other items replaced.

You might want to take your truck to the dealer and have them balance your new tires. I'm not all sure what "road-force balance" is different from the traditional "balancing".

Truck had slight shake 70 mph and made an online appointment for dealer to check balance but never got a confirmation so just went to tire shop. I wasn't pleased this afternoon spending a good amount of money and having to clean gunk of my wheels from greasy balance machine. Will contact dealer tomorrow but so far the Michelins handle and ride great till 75 mph, and quiet which I enjoy after hours of high pitch whine from 8 deep lugged drive tires on a semi

I would recommend a road force balance for your new tires. The machine is the latest technology and has a large weight that rolls against the tire as it turns. This weight simulates the load of a vehicle on the tire/wheel assy and provides a more accurate balance. Both tires and wheels have a heavy spot. The heavy spot on the wheel is usually at the location where the valve stem is drilled. The heavy spot on the tire is where a spot or paint mark is placed. NEVER let an uneducated tire guy place the spot on the tire at the valve stem. Best place for the spot is 180 degrees away from the valve stem. If a lot of weight is required on one wheel, your dealer can break the tire off of the rim and turn it 90 degrees at a time until the minimum amount of weight is required to balance it. If the problem continues, tell them you want a runout gauge used and make certain your wheels and tires are within spec. A few thousands of an inch may not seem like much but makes a huge difference at 70 mph. At this speed your tires are rotating at about 900 ~ 1000 rpm and there is quite a bit of rotating mass to cause a vibration. You may have to find someone with vibration knowledge (or that cares) and work with them until this is resolved.

Called dealer today was told they had same equipment and suggested take it back to tire shop for rebalance. Everybody brags on their good service including my Bro inlaw, I messed up and went to the old shop ,they have two other large shops with better equipment.

Archived