In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

LIVINtheLIFE

Clunk/popping noise after level

Hey guys I bought a 2015 GMC Sierra this year. I recently installed the RC 2.5" levelling kit and am now getting an odd popping/clunk noise from the drivers front end. Now I'm aware of the noise that's from the top a-arm hitting the bump stop but that is not it. I have inspected it and triple checked all torque settings. It happens usually at changes in elevation while turning for example pulling up into a back alley etc. But it seems to be related to the brakes. From what I can tell it happens whenever the brake is applied in these situations. Not always but often. I've even felt it applying the brakes on a flat road with no bumps while turning around a corner. Any ideas? I've done some research and heard it could be a broken brake pad spring but I haven't taken the caliper apart. The truck only has 10,000miles and the nearest dealer is 100miles away as I'm in a remote area for work more then 600 miles from home.

Hey guys I bought a 2015 GMC Sierra this year. I recently installed the RC 2.5" levelling kit and am now getting an odd popping/clunk noise from the drivers front end. Now I'm aware of the noise that's from the top a-arm hitting the bump stop but that is not it. I have inspected it and triple checked all torque settings. It happens usually at changes in elevation while turning for example pulling up into a back alley etc. But it seems to be related to the brakes. From what I can tell it happens whenever the brake is applied in these situations. Not always but often. I've even felt it applying the brakes on a flat road with no bumps while turning around a corner. Any ideas? I've done some research and heard it could be a broken brake pad spring but I haven't taken the caliper apart. The truck only has 10,000miles and the nearest dealer is 100miles away as I'm in a remote area for work more then 600 miles from home.

Did you ever track this down, I may have just picked up the same noise.

Sent from Off Driller Side

Sorry for the late reply, I never did track it down it just kind of went away after I installed the bigger tires shortly after. I -think it was caused by the UCA hitting the bump stop with enough flex, which I guess is a good thing considering its designed that way to help your upper ball joint. Either way after installing my bigger 285/75-17 tires it all went away.

Anyone ever figure this out? Having the same issue

Also a sqUeak when going over bumps, thinking I'll start with new sway bar end links and bushings. Hope I don't have to end up doing lower ball joints and have to take crap apart again.

i had this exact issue, backed off the axle nuts and torqued to spec and noise gone so far

\de-lurk

Me too. I'm trying this as well. I think torque for ax nutz is 180s (foot/pounds).

With the creaky rear leafs, its hard to tell, but there is def noise in the front... Now re-torqued we'll see what the next few days hold.

WL

/re-lurk

i had this exact issue, backed off the axle nuts and torqued to spec and noise gone so far

• Like 1

It's more than likely strain on the a arm bushings from just putting in keys. Proper leveling is kys, shocks and upper a arm. Other wise the geometry get outta wack and stuff starts to wear wrong then fail. Any new noise is not good. I learned the hard way but I just traded it in.

I am having this same issue after I installed the 2.5 inch leveling kit from auto spring on my 2014 Sierra Z71. Sounds just like the CV joints. My kit was a 1 3/8 spacer on top of the strut. I also replaced the passenger side axle shaft due to a torn boot and still have the same popping noise while turning the steering wheel and moving. I will be getting my new 275/70 R18 BFG AT TA KO2 tires today with an alignment. Hopefully the noise goes away.

Has any one found a solution to this issue, my truck seems to have developed this noise 

truck has 8k miles on it and i get this noise when backing up my drive way and slightly side loading the suspension