Couple Looking for Intro to Home Defense

My brother-in-law and his wife have asked me several times in passing about handguns for home defense. They looked to me because of the many guns I've had. I did some casual IPSC and Steel Challenge shooting many years ago. But I just don't like teaching this particular subject matter, because I'm not a professional home defense expert and I think of home defense as a wholistic subject, not just a gun shooting thing. So I haven't been to forthcoming in offering training. Last night, after dinner, I did show them the difference between a revolver and a semi auto pistol and provided some of the advantages and disadvantages of both.

I'm wondering if any of you have had professional home defense training or know of a quality curriculum in the LA- OC area? I might even be temped to go with them.

I'm no expert, but for home defense, I like a 12 gauge automatic. No aiming, just point and it would be hard to miss an intruder.

Completely off the subject, but I'll respond.

A shotgun isn't some kind of spray wand. It won't be much bigger than your fist in most distances encountered within your home. You will definitely have to aim and you will be wielding a 3 ft long 7-8 lb gun to do it. This is a good video to watch on the subject. Thunder Ranch is a reputable outfit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NVJVaxrxWo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the thread topic....

I found a place on the net that has a lot of credentials. Seems legit and well qualified instructors. http://www.firearmstraining.com/classes

Edited by spurshot
  • Like 3

I asked my wife if she was interested in taking a class with them. She said she was. I think we're leaning toward the link in my post above. Lots of credentials. So, I'm going to join in and take as many classes as I can keep everyone interested in.

I started buying the basic rig for my wife and the gun I expect her to shoot, a Sig P239 and as alternates, 2 Colt Gold Cups, and a 5 shot 44 Special revolver. I bought a Midway double belt Velcro system for both of us. I have a cheap nylon field holster for that gun that works, but I also bought a Galco Fletch High Ride for this gun. She will have a choice. Very quick and convenient to take the rig off during breaks and a solid base to draw from.

I'll shoot a compensated old 1911 45 clunker I never finished the outside of. It is ugly, but has a fitted Bar-Sto barrel, comp, Bomar sights, checkered front strap, checkered mainspring housing, big magazine well, STI comp trigger, skeleton hammer, etc., etc., which I did back in the day when I did that kind of work. It's reliable and accurate. That's all the matters. One of the Gold Cups will be my alternate. I also bought a Galco Fletch High Ride for the 1911. I have a few competition holsters from a few decades ago. They would work, but I'm not sure if the instructor will balk at them.

I've been thinking about a Trijicon RMR or a Leupold Deltapoint Pro for the bedroom gun and frankly for my 1911 as well. I am actually thinking of a full size Sig for the home gun. The P239 was for my backup gun on hunting trips near the border.

Have you considered a rifle for home defense? I would have laughed at the idea not long ago, but it is a very practical idea for people who can't handle recoil, and the aiming can be more instinctive than a handgun.

I'm very curious about a reflex sight for a pistol, I'd like to try one out before hacking up my XD though.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I asked my wife if she was interested in taking a class with them. She said she was. I think we're leaning toward the link in my post above. Lots of credentials. So, I'm going to join in and take as many classes as I can keep everyone interested in.

I started buying the basic rig for my wife and the gun I expect her to shoot, a Sig P239 and as alternates, 2 Colt Gold Cups, and a 5 shot 44 Special revolver. I bought a Midway double belt Velcro system for both of us. I have a cheap nylon field holster for that gun that works, but I also bought a Galco Fletch High Ride for this gun. She will have a choice. Very quick and convenient to take the rig off during breaks and a solid base to draw from.

I'll shoot a compensated old 1911 45 clunker I never finished the outside of. It is ugly, but has a fitted Bar-Sto barrel, comp, Bomar sights, checkered front strap, checkered mainspring housing, big magazine well, STI comp trigger, skeleton hammer, etc., etc., which I did back in the day when I did that kind of work. It's reliable and accurate. That's all the matters. One of the Gold Cups will be my alternate. I also bought a Galco Fletch High Ride for the 1911. I have a few competition holsters from a few decades ago. They would work, but I'm not sure if the instructor will balk at them.

I've been thinking about a Trijicon RMR or a Leupold Deltapoint Pro for the bedroom gun and frankly for my 1911 as well. I am actually thinking of a full size Sig for the home gun. The P239 was for my backup gun on hunting trips near the border.

Before the fullsize Sig, look into the 229. Almost identical to the full size 226, but the barrel is 3.9". Not sure what your 239 is. I cross shopped a 226, a 229, and a Beretta 92FS. I felt the 229 to have an excellent feel and size to it. I will now almost always choose to shoot it over my 1911.

Before the fullsize Sig, look into the 229. Almost identical to the full size 226, but the barrel is 3.9". Not sure what your 239 is. I cross shopped a 226, a 229, and a Beretta 92FS. I felt the 229 to have an excellent feel and size to it. I will now almost always choose to shoot it over my 1911.

Chris, 239 is a 3.6" barrel, single stack. I was thinking of a full size for two reasons. If my wife sticks with the classes, the full size gun is much more easily handled than a subcompact, and is better for the same reasons as a home defense gun. But, I don't know if she can handle a double stack grip.

Me personally I have the 12 gauge for home defense. It came with a short and long barrel so I can also use it to hunt with. I'm pretty good with the short barrel but still working on my aim with the long barrel. I keep the short barrel installed while in the house. I also have a S&W SD40ve but that is tucked away until I get better aim and control first.

Just something to keep in mind. Where does the bullet go after it passes through your target.

You obviously want stopping power, but you don't need to be hitting the neighbors house. I'd be cautious of a rifle for this reason.

For me personally, I'm far more accurate with a rifle than a pistol. Especially when under stress.

My pistol skills need refining.

Edited by Squirrely

That's what training is all about, making it a habit so it comes naturally in times of stress. By the end of the seven classes a student will have shot thousands of rounds in numerous situations. Of course, it can't replicate real life or death stress.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience I have always found it very easy to introduce a new shooter to a polymer pistol such as Glock, Springfield or S&W. The great thing about these guns is they are as simple as it comes because they lack features that other hand guns like 1911's, European styles guns, etc. On the flip side this can also be a positive or a negative since these types of pistols do not have manual safety's (exception of the XDm as it does have a grip safety). In my opinion I find it a positive that these pistols do not have a safety as it doesn't give a new shooter the comfort of having a fall back. It instills in them the importance of handling a firearm safely. Now this also comes down to the teacher and how they feel is best to teach a new shooter. I've read several of your other posts or threads regarding firearms and it seems like you are a very knowledge fellow with your head screwed on straight, I don't think you'll have any problem helping them. Best of luck!

I'm no expert, but for home defense, I like a 12 gauge automatic. No aiming, just point and it would be hard to miss an intruder.

DO NOT take this advise, you can't get much worse than thinking this is true, it's dangerous, careless, reckless, and couldn't be farther than the truth....and I can tell you that you DO NOT have an "automatic" shotgun, not going to happen, ever. This is the type of misinformation that everybody should stay away from, especially new shooters.

PLEASE, don't anybody take the above careless, reckless, dangerous suggestion about a shotgun seriously. It's obvious the person is not even close to being familiar with firearms and IMO is a danger to others with that type of practice. You should stay far, far away from anybody that tells you you do not need to worry about aiming a firearm. I hope nobodyu around you is injured or killed with that type of behavior, wow, just wow!

OP, the first thing they want to do is get to a gun shop and find a pistol that is comfortable in the hand and fits them well. Try a few differnet ones and see which model they are the most accurate and comfortable with at the range.

Practice, practice, practice, that's the only way to become proficient and comfortable with any firearm. You want the operation of the weapon to become muscle memory, you don't even have to think about what to do if the time comes to use it for defense.

Not sure of any in that area but a good class with a known, credible instructor would be a great idea. If the ylook around online, I am sure they would be able to find one to attend. The NRA should have a listing of pistol classes on their website, may want to check that out.

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado
  • Like 1