Couple Looking for Intro to Home Defense

Justin I appreciate the advice. However, I'm recommending they take the first class in a series of up to 7 progressively more advanced defense classes. This first class will primarily expose them to a revolver. After that I'm offering to have a session of slow fire range time with a couple different auto pistols. In CA, you cannot purchase a handgun without some type of approved training. So, the gun store trip has to be after a class.

Justin I appreciate the advice. However, I'm recommending they take the first class in a series of up to 7 progressively more advanced defense classes. This first class will primarily expose them to a revolver. After that I'm offering to have a session of slow fire range time with a couple different auto pistols. In CA, you cannot purchase a handgun without some type of approved training. So, the gun store trip has to be after a class.

Maybe in LA. In Kern, we just basically take a quick common sense test at the counter

Chris,

Yes, you're right. A passing score on a test is what's required. But the outfit I found is authorized as a "Comparable Training Organization" and a "certificate of completion" from them supplants as having passed the state test. They need it anyway. I want them to take at least a few of the series of classes. Frankly, I want to take them too.

I'm no expert, but for home defense, I like a 12 gauge automatic. No aiming, just point and it would be hard to miss an intruder.

first off it is a semi-automatic. I personally use a shotgun as home defense as my wife is much more comfortable with it. That being said people hear shotgun and think 28" barrel and entirely too long...Its called SBS folks and they make a damn fine close quarters defense weapon. Remember when a bullet/s leave a barrel you are responsible for it until it stops. People often dont take into consideration what is beyond the walls of a home and what you could get yourself into if to hit something that you weren't intending.

I love the 45 stopping power argument too. If you are extremely well trained a 22 is as deadly as a 500SW. Bottom line if you aren't very proficient with any weapon system you are more dangerous to more than just the attacker.

Edited by sprayed99

Here is some good information for home defense. Shotguns are not just spray and pray. It is possible to miss, especially at close range.

They need to also test a SBS, mine is loaded with #9. Their test is also with standard OSB on the exterior and no one leaves OSB as an exterior finish. Most houses are some sort of masonry product. What is does tell you is make damn sure you know what is beyond your target in every scenario.

Edited by sprayed99

They need to also test a SBS, mine is loaded with #9. Their test is also with standard OSB on the exterior and no one leaves OSB as an exterior finish. Most houses are some sort of masonry product. What is does tell you is make damn sure you know what is beyond your target in every scenario.

Right. I posted to show penetration from room to room and show that at close range the shotgun pattern isn't much different from slug to bird shot at the point of impact. It's good information to understand what could happen in you kids room if you shoot in the kitchen, etc.

I wasn't aware of that Cali. law, I know they are not very 2nd Amendment friendly but that's a terrible law!

California is out of control when it comes to restricting firearms ownership. If you hjave to take a class BEFORE purchasing, do what you ahve to do but I see that as a money making scheme for sure. Whatever it takes I guess, learn proper safety, handling, and technique and you're good to go.........Is there some type of certification that is issued to people once they complete the Cali. course?

• 4 weeks later...

Is there some type of certification that is issued to people once they complete the Cali. course?

The requirement has changed a few times over the past decade or two. I just bought a Sig 226 for my wife yesterday and found my Firearms Safety Certificate had expired after 5 years just a week or so ago. So, the requirement is a 30 question written test. Pretty basic stuff, but requires that you know the laws about guns, heavy on safe/legal storage, a little on self-defense gun law, some functional questions about guns. I ace'd it, but I could see where some people would flunk it. You get a FSC card for 5 years.

12ga pump here. Never had to use it but I hope the sound of a shell being loaded will deter anyone before I have to shoot. Other than that, i just have a couple Marlins, Benjamin, Arisaka, swords and a bat! lol.

• Like 1

I never could bat worth a darn. But I was always pretty decent with a gun. Lol

The odds are in your favor that you make it through life without getting into a shooting. You can increase those odds by your own actions as well.

Edited by spurshot

• 2 weeks later...

Our group attended the class yesterday. Great success. The three totally new shooters did very well. They didn't shoot themselves or anyone else, no ADs, and hit in the general area they were aiming. They were using the class supplied S&W 686 revolvers.

I was impressed with my wife's shooting. Tight grouping except the rapid fire of course. She didn't end up shooting the new Sig P226 40 I bought for us recently. She fit my older compact P239 40 better and went with it. She was comfortable with it and had no soreness after 250 rounds.

I stayed in my comfort zone and shot my old 70 Series NM Gold Cup. Although I hadn't shot that gun in more than a decade, it was like an old friend. I hadn't fired a handgun in 5 years and that was probably 20 rounds when I bought the compact Sig. Before that, it was probably 10 years since I shot handguns. Although I had shot IPSC and Steel Challenge, I hadn't taken any formal shooting training in more than 50 years since I first started shooting and hunting. I actually had fun with it and I'm looking forward to moving thru more advanced training with this instructor.

My little group was all excited afterward and chattered like chipmunks about the experience and what guns they were considering buying before the next intermediate class we're planning in a couple months.

I recommend this outfit for anyone wanting to start new adult handgun shooters interested in self defense.

I respectfully disagree with this statement, I live in California and have purchased several hand guns. I took a written test, and upon passing, was issued a "Handgun Safety Certificate" that is valid for 5 years.

Upon purchase of the firearm, I had to demonstrate proficiency handling the firearm (load it, unload it, engage safety, etc.). After a 10 day waiting period (after DROS background check) I was able to pickup the firearm.

I respectfully disagree with this statement, I live in California and have purchased several hand guns. I took a written test, and upon passing, was issued a "Handgun Safety Certificate" that is valid for 5 years.

Upon purchase of the firearm, I had to demonstrate proficiency handling the firearm (load it, unload it, engage safety, etc.). After a 10 day waiting period (after DROS background check) I was able to pickup the firearm.

You're right. You must not have read all the posts after that. It's been covered.

Although at one time, CA required you to watch a video as "training".

Edited by spurshot

When we are under our normal procedure in the house I have a Remington 870 tactical express with a Knoxx stock on it in the house, loaded with Federal tactical 00 and Winchester PDX1 shells. I also have my sidearm and now the wifes sidearm in the room as well, I also keep a strap with extra shells and a extra mag for the sidearm I have with me as well.

While you do still need to aim with a shotgun, the 8"+ spread at about 15' does promise a better chance of hitting the bad guy. 00 buckshot is the same caliber as a .22 for each of those balls. As said though always know what is in the house, unless you shoot thru a window to the outside of the house you wont see any shotgun shells or handgun rounds exit thru several walls and thru an exterior wall. Heck one of my LEO buddies showed me a class they went thru with them shooting thru everyday materials- clothing, sheetrock, doors, and glass. The data was eye opening for sure, first round thru a window is so distorted and destroyed that it is almost luck if it hits and injuries anything. Same goes for sheetrock, man issue is that on JHP stuff the tip get clogged with material and doesn't expand properly.