Signal mirror upgrade !! Need help

If I was you I would just hard wire the mirrors. I did that on my truck since when I got my tow mirrors the door harnesses weren't available. I ran my wires to the BCM for signals and all since my truck was just heat and power

Can you give me some info on what you did ? What wires , what color , and I feel dumb about this but where exactly is the BCM located ?

Can you give me some info on what you did ? What wires , what color , and I feel dumb about this but where exactly is the BCM located ?

So first of all my wiring is hard wired to the BCM under the steering wheel. I cut the wires needing to be hard wired then just plug the plug into the mirror harness for power adjust and defrost like the factory mirrors did. The wires you have the cut are:

Orange- Amber lights

Yellow- Reverse LEDS

Red/Blue- Turn Signals

Also on the mirror plug you have to connect a ground wire as the mirrors have two grounds but our truck has one. I just simply tapped the extra one to the one our truck is wired for which is PIN 11. The second one is PIN 5 so I cut and tapped PIN 5 into PIN 11.

As for connecting the wires I used these taps that made removing the wires easy in case I ever needed to remove or replace the mirrors. Once I connected the wires on the mirror side I ran them through the door into the cab to the BCM. Which I then connected the wires to the following:

Reverse Lights- Light Blue/ Brown wire, Pin 26, Brown plug

Left Signal- Blue/White wire, Pin 2, Brown Plug

Right Signal- Green/Purple wire, Pin 3, Black Plug

Ambers- Pin 22, White 26 Pin Plug

Edited by stevencox93
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is the latest update with my mirror swap got the mirrors and harness from a truck that had power fold and signals. So I did have to buy a new switch which I installed and still doesn't work next step is to get the dealer to re flash it because all trucks are built for this feature but need to get a new program so it can operate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had DL8 mirrors and I ordered the upgrade kit through my dealer.I had it (mostly) installed today and it took two techs about 4 hours to do. Then I sat around the rest of the day waiting for some updated programming to make the heaters in the mirror work. I finally came home and they tell me that hopefully tomorrow they will get the updated software to make them work fully.

I do have to say the mirrors look nice and are HUGE. It is going to take a little getting used to. It was also stupid expensive and I honestly can't believe I had to pay that much to get mirrors that the turn signals work in. I made my dealer do them just because I have under 10k miles on my truck and I wanted the warranty to carry over to these mirrors too.

While I absolutely can't justify the amount of money they charge to do this upgrade, the mirrors seem like they are top quality. The glass is very clear and distortion free, the lower manual adjust mirror gives a great lower view and I feel like they really cover all areas behind me. So, if you have a bunch of money to blow, get this upgrade - I used the clip on mirrors for one season camping and I can't wait to finally feel safe pulling my camper again. I guess safety doesn't have a price, but this safety feature smarts a little.

• 1 month later...

No. You would need to run the tow mirror upgrades to make just the signals work, so new door harnesses and a special jumper harness that is required for 2014 trucks. The truck is sort of wired for mirror signals, but the circuits for them are not to the body side door harness connector. The jumper completes the circuit to the door body side connector, then the new door harness would complete it to the mirror.

Now...if there is any open cavities in the connector for the mirror on your truck, you could add a terminal end, some wire and try and tap into the flasher circuit. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper, if it can be done.

I have a set of DL3 mirrors with tungsten iridium covers if anyone is looking for some

mirrors still available ? How much?, thanks bratbowtie

• 11 months later...

I own a 2014 Silverado 1500 with heat and power mirrors (no signals ) and my buddy has 2016 mirror that has signals built in that he is selling and was wondering if they would work on mine. The mirrors will fit but not sure if the signal will work. I don't know if there is already a post about this I tried to search for one but had no luck thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a comprehensive thread that should answer your questions here.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/198157-2014-2017-dl8-dl3-towing-mirror-upgrade-mirrors-explained/

​GM does NOT have a supported upgrade path for those that want to go from DL8 to DL3 Mirrors. You will need a custom harness (supplied by me) that will make this plug and play. Your existing DL8 harness will not be pinned correctly to support the lighting portion of the DL3 mirror. In addition, if you try to install the DL3 Harness, that won't work either. You will lose all functionality on the passenger side, no power fold, and will lose some adjust functionality on the driver's side. Due to content differences between the higher trim trucks (LTZ/HC, SLT/Denali), these harnesses will simply not work on LT/SLE. There is no BCM/Memory Calibrations to make this happen.

Also, on 2014, there is a known issue where the puddle lamp circuits doesn't send the full 12 Volts to fully illuminate them. There is a workaround I have for this that essentially taps the puddle lamp circuit so that it follows the dome lamp. PM for more details. i have successfully helped several 2014 members achieve this upgrade.

AND, I believe you have to have GM turn on that feature thru a reflash of the computer... Once you do run the three wiring harness'.

GM will not "turn on" these features as this is not a GM support upgrade. The "three wire harness" if you are referring to the Jumper Harness (RZY - Part #23387133) is only needed if you are missing the Turn Signal, Cargo Lamp and Park Lamp circuits. Mainly required for those wanting Towing Mirrors. In every member I've helped, the turn signal circuit is present at the door connector (Pin #41).

Here is a simple way to tell:

If you don't have the memory seat buttons above the driver's door handle then you don't have the correct harnesses or BCM software to make the DL3 mirrors work (don't ask me why GM bundled it this way but they did).

Upgrading to DL3 Mirrors can be done for those without the Seat Memory. Just need a custom harness from me or modify existing harnesses and hardwire the lighting portion.

So I have a 2015 crew cab with DL8 mirrors. If I wanted to do this upgrade obviously I would need the mirrors and I would just need the dealership to reporgram the bcm for them? My cirrent mirror are power and heat but manual fold if that makes any difference.

No. There is no reprogramming that can be done to make this work. Your existing harnesses do not have the lighting circuits in them. A custom harness from me will have the lighting portion present to make this Plug and Play for you. So DL3 Mirrors, Power Fold Switch, and a custom harness set from me will make this upgrade possible.

That's true for powerfold and turn signals but you will not get the auto-dim or reverse-tilt without new harnesses and a BCM upgrade.

Auto Dim is not a BCM feature. Auto Dim is dependent on having an Auto Dim Rear View Mirror installed AND the wiring from the rear view installed to the Fuse Panel and X61A Junction Box. I have performed this upgrade and have helped another member achieve Auto Dim on the driver's side mirror.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/192050-a10-inside-rearview-auto-dimming-mirror-conversion-dd8/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am new to this forum, I have a 2015 gmc sirrea 2500hd crew cab SLT and i was wondering where did you buy your towing mirrors from ? I have been reading and researching and I don't no which way to go, any help would be great

Thanks Papa1958

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone on here that can please tell me what the correct pin size you need to buy to add these features to the tow mirrors harness wire there isn't any pin size that like boost auto shows to use to add to the harness.

Any comments would greatly be appreciated and if anyone has a schematic that shows where exactly the pins go in the mirror and gray harness that would be wonderful..

Thank you all

20 minutes ago, Not enough knowledge said:

Hello everyone,

Is there anyone on here that can please tell me what the correct pin size you need to buy to add these features to the tow mirrors harness wire there isn't any pin size that like boost auto shows to use to add to the harness.

Any comments would greatly be appreciated and if anyone has a schematic that shows where exactly the pins go in the mirror and gray harness that would be wonderful..

Thank you all

Check with @pgamboa at https://harnessdr.com/
I bought a harness from him which connects to the stock harness and has outside mirror turn signal capability.

Thank you for that I think he is the owner of boost auto isn't he ? Or is it the harness dr.

Boost would give the information about rather they ate the 22-24 gauge Pins or the 18- 24 it looks like there is a slight difference in those Pins that install into the mirror harness.

And all I need is that correct pin size I have bought pretty much everything else they sell the harness addon for 52.95 now when it used to be 45.00 I understand the economy is going crazy right now but right along with rising consumer prices my wages unfortunately stayed the same so if I can get 6 wires and just buy the pins for around 23.00 for everything I think that is the way to go for me.

And that is just me speaking I am not downing or criticize anyone else for what they choose but economy  wise that is about all I can do if you can find those correct Pins sizes I would be very grateful.

Thank you Sir

Ron