Cold Temps No Sound From Radio or Backup Alarms

Last night it was -6F when I started my 2015 GMC Sierra. I let it warm up before driving it. I noticed that I had no sound from my radio, turn signals or any other audio devices in the cab. Has anyone else experienced this? After I parked it in the garage for the night everything worked in the morning.

This has been happing with a friends 2015 Sierra as well. He contacted the dealership and told them about the issue. They are putting a new radio in under warranty. The dealership has had about 5 or 6 cases of this in cold weather.

My PDC sensors go hay wire when its below freezing. I can driving down the road and the front sensors show something in front of me for a second then disappear. My truck has 3K miles on but I have a feeling that and the radio is going to need attention.

• 2 years later...
On 2/18/2016 at 1:01 PM, Sierra15AT said:

This has been happing with a friends 2015 Sierra as well. He contacted the dealership and told them about the issue. They are putting a new radio in under warranty. The dealership has had about 5 or 6 cases of this in cold weather.

I'm having the exact same problem.  Can you tell me the name of the dealership your friend went to.  I've had it happen like 6 times, but of course at the dealer twice now and they can't get it to duplicate.  I did video record it 2 times.  Someone from gmc is supposed to be calling .  The name of that dealership might help

I had that issue with my 2015. For a quick fix I would turn off the car, lock it while inside, wait for everything to shut off completely, insert the key and turn it forward to accessory mode(or whatever it’s called) and if the radio turned on I would start it up. If not, I would do the proceed over again. Very annoying especially when in a rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, NYSierra4 said:

I had that issue with my 2015. For a quick fix I would turn off the car, lock it while inside, wait for everything to shut off completely, insert the key and turn it forward to accessory mode(or whatever it’s called) and if the radio turned on I would start it up. If not, I would do the proceed over again. Very annoying especially when in a rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 15 CC same maybe 8 times since new I don’t drive it in the winter. I just turn it off then restart seems to “reboot” everything. 

• 3 weeks later...

Mine does the same thing only when cold out. Very irritating. I had thought it was my remote start causing this as hadn't heard of many others with this issue but now I see it is quite common. Out of warranty now have just resolved that I have to shut off wait until all lights go out and dash goes black and restart. most times only once but when very cold -5 or so have to repeat a couple times.

• 1 year later...

This has been  happening to me since day one in the cold. 2015 Silverado now with 92k and out of warranty. Took it to the dealership and they could never duplicate. I used to do the key on/off trick a few times and it would be ok, so I never thought much about it anyways. Now....it is doing it more frequently and I cannot get it to come back even with multiple on/off attempts. Anyone have a real fix?

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? I live in Anchorage, Alaska and drive a '15 Silverado.  Every time my truck sits out overnight when it's colder than 10 degrees, I have this issue the next day.  Since this does seem to be a relatively common issue, I contacted my dealership service to see if they'd had any other complaints of the same problem.  They said they had not, which was surprising considering the colder temps up here. I had read on another forum that replacing the radio unit may fix the problem, but I was hoping to get some confirmation on that before I spend the money to do that.  

• 2 weeks later...

i too started having this problem with my 2015 sierra. after driving a bit and warming it up. park to run into a store, come out and start and it works.
i never tested initial starting by key, always the remote to first start and key for second start.

• 1 year later...

FARM FIX:: I have the same problem with 2015 sierra. When it’s truck has sat in cold overnight the radio doesn’t work and my turn signal doesn’t make noise. If I pull the 20A radio fuse on right side of dash/passenger door, wait couple seconds and put fuse back in the radio works fine. Pain in butt yes, but cheaper then taking to shop.