Transmission Fluid Change

That's a fear tactic. OEM's and dealers want you to think you have to use OEM-Branded lubricants, which are typically more expensive, to comply with the warranty. Generally, the public is unaware that it is illegal for a vehicle manufacturer to tie the warranty of its product to the use of the manufacturers own brand of lubricant. Federal law seeks to ensure competition within the marketplace and that specifically includes guaranteeing continued warranty coverage outside of the OEM-branded lubricants. In short, you have the right to use the oil of your choice. If the lubricant did not cause the problem, the OEM warranty cannot be voided, period.

A warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of ‘unauthorized’ articles or service.

Very true: Its the Magnuson-Moss act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Took the GMC dealer several hrs to flush mine. Had to be done on the hoist. I was told the ATF has to reach a certain temp before it circulates. In other words, not an easy DIY. Local trans shop was unwilling to do it, a big pita was what they said.

Btw - The 8-sp requires Dexron-HP, not Dexron VI.

HP - High Performance

I knew it! I just cant see letting the dealer do such an important technical job. They literally mess up oil changes on the Zo6 which also has a different procedure than regular vettes. Sound like the procedure for the German cars. Has to reach and be checked at a specific temp to account for expansion of the fluid. It is a PITA!

My hubby wants to do a transmission oil change at 15,000 to switch over to the Amsoil synthetic. We took it to our favorite trans shop that we really trust. One of the mechanics was telling me that if we switch it over to Amsoil (or anything else for that matter) that it will void the warranty. Got any input or information on that????

Check the owner's manual for the ATF spec. If there's an Amsoil product that meets the spec, you can use it.

[

Edited by spurshot

OEM manufacturers are trying to keep the aftermarket business for themselves so the make it so you have little choice in where to take it for service.

Edited by elcamino

I knew it! I just cant see letting the dealer do such an important technical job. They literally mess up oil changes on the Zo6 which also has a different procedure than regular vettes. Sound like the procedure for the German cars. Has to reach and be checked at a specific temp to account for expansion of the fluid. It is a PITA!

Had no choice, it was under warranty for 8-sp torque converter shudder,

Edited by elcamino

My hubby wants to do a transmission oil change at 15,000 to switch over to the Amsoil synthetic. We took it to our favorite trans shop that we really trust. One of the mechanics was telling me that if we switch it over to Amsoil (or anything else for that matter) that it will void the warranty. Got any input or information on that????

elcamino covered it pretty well. AMSOIL currently does not have an HP ATF but one is in the works and will be available shortly. Just keep an eye out on the AMSOIL's vehicle look up guide to see when it is released.

So change the factory tf at 30,000?

wee

Not on todays vehicles. The 30,0000 miles change basically was for vehicles prior to 2000. Anything newer than that I would go with ATF changes at every 50k miles.

• Like 1

Had no choice, it was under warranty for 8-sp torque converter shudder,

My friend had the same issue on his 6.2 8 speed. They replaced the TC and he's been good since. Service guy told him they have done several as the programming for the 8 speed is tough on the TC.

• 6 years later...

I have a '16 Sierra with 87,000 miles on it. I bought it used in May, '21.  My transmission was changing "rough" occasionally, mostly at low speeds, but not consistently.  I took it in for a flush/refill.  Turns out, the temperature sensor in the transmission was bad, and had to be replaced.  I've never heard of such.  Anyway, the transmission is now SO much better!  Just FYI.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mike Nixon said:

I have a '16 Sierra with 87,000 miles on it. I bought it used in May, '21.  My transmission was changing "rough" occasionally, mostly at low speeds, but not consistently.  I took it in for a flush/refill.  Turns out, the temperature sensor in the transmission was bad, and had to be replaced.  I've never heard of such.  Anyway, the transmission is now SO much better!  Just FYI.

Not uncommon. See here: