USB Drive and SD Card Compatibility - MyLink

Hello,

I have been using a Transcend 16GB class 6 full size SD card. It works well, but I need more storage space.

I dug out a Sandisk 32GB microSD card, put it in the adapter. The truck would not recognize he card at all. I formatted to FAT32 and tried NTFS too. Nothing worked. So I am in the market for a 64GB or larger SD card or USB drive.

Looking at some other posts here it seems like the Samsung Cruzer Fit CZ33 is a popular choice. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005FYNSZA/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1461087164&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=sandisk+fit&dpPl=1&dpID=41z4piM6TWL&ref=plSrch

What are you using in your truck?

Mine worked 1st time, probably by accident. I'm using a generic 8 GB USB flash drive. Formatted to FAT32. Movies in MP4 format and all in root folder of USB drive. I had no guidance or help from dealer. They said my truck ('14 Silverado LTZ with NAV) could not play video, period. So I went with what seemed the simplest and most universal settings. I later read online somewhere, not here, people discussing video playback issues and it seemed as people went with higher capacity drives the more problems they had. I realize my 8 GBs is probably at the low end of the spectrum and I could go bigger but all my movies are 480x320 or 320x240 so very small file sizes. These 2 sizes seem to fit the screen just fine (any thing bigger and it would just be wasted on that screen size) and because they are small and simple the tiny MyLink system seems to play them easily. You're probably way more advanced than my setup, but I hope something here is helpful.

Edited by jimlem

Thanks for the replies.

I was also looking at a 128GB PNY USB drive. For $25 it is a steal. I have read on the forums that these drives are not compatible with the Silverado. The drive can be found at: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Turbo-128GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00FE2N1WS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1461032679&sr=1-1&keywords=128gb&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A10285018011%2Cp_85%3A2470955011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6931972011

I like the idea of a flush mount USB or a SD card.

I am looking at the SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive. It is a small USB drive. Has anyone used this? It is the new version of the Samsung Cruzer Fit CZ33 and can be found at: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-SDCZ43-128G-GAM46-Newest-Version/dp/B01BGTG2A0/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461108733&sr=1-2&keywords=128gb+sandisk

Or for an SD Card so I can keep a USB port open:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0143IIP4W/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1461121071&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=128+gb+sd+card+sandisk&dpPl=1&dpID=51DF7S4b61L&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Edited by Ngs428

I've got a 128GB SD card in my center console, formatted as NTFS, with 85+ GB of MP3's with jpg's for the album artwork. Has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. Set it for random when I go on the annual 5,000 km camping trip and never hear a repeat. The only thing I have found is when I reinsert the SD card after adding new music to it, I have to manually set up random play again.

I've got a 128GB SD card in my center console, formatted as NTFS, with 85+ GB of MP3's with jpg's for the album artwork. Has worked flawlessly for almost 2 years. Set it for random when I go on the annual 5,000 km camping trip and never hear a repeat. The only thing I have found is when I reinsert the SD card after adding new music to it, I have to manually set up random play again.

That sounds like what i am looking for. What brand is it? I assume it is a full size SD card.

I think the issue with my Sandisk 32gb card is that it is a microSD, not full size. Even with the adapter it does not work..

That sounds like what i am looking for. What brand is it? I assume it is a full size SD card.

I think the issue with my Sandisk 32gb card is that it is a microSD, not full size. Even with the adapter it does not work..

It's a full size Kingston 128GB Class 10 SDXC

https://www.amazon.ca/Kingston-Digital-Secure-SDX10V-128GB/dp/B0090J5XLS/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461179921&sr=1-8

I formatted it as NTFS and it works great, even though NTFS is not listed in the description on Amazon.

I do have both 32GB and 64GB microSD cards. I don't use these in my truck. The 32GB ones came with an adapter but the 64GB didn't. If I put the 64GB microSD card in the adapter that came with the 32GB microSD card it treats the 64GB card as 32GB. So there must be something about the adapters.

Edited by bert wise

Thanks for the confirmation. What capacity card are you using? 32GB, 64GB, 128GB?

I have the 64 GB card and it displays the album art when I download from the Amazon Cloud.