2011 Silverado Remote Start?

So i purchased a key fob online that has the remote start button. Looked online and says if you have the Code AP8 on the top of the sticker in the passenger glovebox your truck has remote start.

Had the dealer program the remote and the locking doors work fin but the remote start does not. The signal is sent to the truck because the lights flash just like it does when it is supposed to start. I asked the dealer, they told me that i do not have the remote start feature but im reading everywhere online that the code AP8 means your truck has the feature. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

AP8 is NOT the remote start code, AP3 is for remote start, AP8 is the remote start prep package, which means you can add remote start, however just buying a fob and programming it will not turn on the remote start feature, you must purchase the GM remote start accessory package, the package gives you 2 fobs, a decal to place in the glovebox, and most importantly it gives you an unlock code that the dealer needs, with this code the dealer calls GM techline and gives them the code, techline then gives the dealer the proper reprogram code to turn the remote start feature on.

• Like 3

Heres a bulletin on adding the remote start....

#PIT4082J: Information On Adding The GM Accessory Remote Start Kit - (Aug 1, 2012)

Subject: Information On Adding The GM Accessory Remote Start Kit

Models: 2007 - 2013 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT 2007 - 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe 2007 - 2013 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

This PI was superseded to update recommended field, model and model years. Please discard PIT4082H.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The following is additional information on adding the GM accessory remote start kit.

Note: This does not apply to the bi-directional (2-way) remote start kit.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Vehicles must have the extended remote start option RPO (AP8) in order to add the GM accessory remote start kit. This kit is only available on automatic transmission models. Every step of the instruction sheet needs to be followed exactly in order for the remote start to operate properly. Here is a brief summary of what needs to be performed.

1. The BCM needs to be programmed for remote start by contacting the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) @ 1-800-828-XXXX and having them add the remote start function to the VIN number so the BCM can be reprogrammed by TIS2WEB. After reprogramming the BCM, the vehicle will need to be shut off for 1 minute and then the SIR restraints ID will need to be setup by using the "Set up SDM primary key in the BCM" under module setup category in the BCM.

Note: Once the remote start option is added to the VIN at TCSC, the option will always be available even if the BCM is replaced or re-programmed at a later date.

Important: The Brake Pedal Position (BPP) sensor MUST be re-calibrated anytime the BCM is reprogrammed on 2012 or newer vehicles.

2. The remote start instructions state that the BPP sensor will need to be re-calibrated. Starting with the 2012 Model year a BPP sensor was added to the trucks and the BPP Re-Calibration MUST BE PERFORMED. However, the 2007-2011 trucks are not equipped with a BPP sensor so the re-calibration cannot be performed and is not necessary.
  3. The Theft Deterrent Module will need to be SPS programmed with the remote start option selected.

Note: Please select TDM in the controller list and not VTD relearn when re-programming the TDM.

4. Clear all codes in all the modules on the vehicle.
  5. Program the new remotes (supplied in the kit) to the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver.
  6. Installation complete.

Troubleshooting: Remote Start Inoperative:

1. If the vehicle is equipped with RPO UK3 Steering Wheel Controls with the Drivers Information Center (DIC), make sure remote start option is turned on in the DIC.
  2. Make sure the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver is calibrated for the remote start option. Most vehicles with the RPO AP8 should already be programmed for remote start.
  3. Make sure the vehicle has adequate fuel (above a 1/4 of a tank).
  4. Make sure there are NO DTCs.
  5. Check for any of the disable conditions listed in SI Document ID# 1689813.
  6. If B1370 code is set and the RVS is inop then verify that the TDM has been programmed for the RVS selection.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Edited by MS3DALE
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

MS3DALE is absolutely correct. My brother just went through with this on his '11 2500. Absolutely no way around buying the GM package deal if you want a factory remote start. Oh well, at least he has 3 fobs with remote start, and his original one without.

• 3 years later...

AP8 is NOT the remote start code, AP3 is for remote start, AP8 is the remote start prep package, which means you can add remote start, however just buying a fob and programming it will not turn on the remote start feature, you must purchase the GM remote start accessory package, the package gives you 2 fobs, a decal to place in the glovebox, and most importantly it gives you an unlock code that the dealer needs, with this code the dealer calls GM techline and gives them the code, techline then gives the dealer the proper reprogram code to turn the remote start feature on.

I've checked everywhere trying to get the "GM Remote Start Accessory Package"  I have called several dealerships & am told that that part # is discontinued.  No one will help.  Can I buy the OEM Key FOBS elsewhere & have a dealership work on the unlock code part?  

Best advise to proceed?

Thanks, 

Steve

Heres a bulletin on adding the remote start....

#PIT4082J: Information On Adding The GM Accessory Remote Start Kit - (Aug 1, 2012)

Subject: Information On Adding The GM Accessory Remote Start Kit

Models: 2007 - 2013 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT 2007 - 2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe 2007 - 2013 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

This PI was superseded to update recommended field, model and model years. Please discard PIT4082H.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

The following is additional information on adding the GM accessory remote start kit.

Note: This does not apply to the bi-directional (2-way) remote start kit.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Vehicles must have the extended remote start option RPO (AP8) in order to add the GM accessory remote start kit. This kit is only available on automatic transmission models. Every step of the instruction sheet needs to be followed exactly in order for the remote start to operate properly. Here is a brief summary of what needs to be performed.

1. The BCM needs to be programmed for remote start by contacting the Techline Customer Support Center (TCSC) @ 1-800-828-XXXX and having them add the remote start function to the VIN number so the BCM can be reprogrammed by TIS2WEB. After reprogramming the BCM, the vehicle will need to be shut off for 1 minute and then the SIR restraints ID will need to be setup by using the "Set up SDM primary key in the BCM" under module setup category in the BCM.

Note: Once the remote start option is added to the VIN at TCSC, the option will always be available even if the BCM is replaced or re-programmed at a later date.

Important: The Brake Pedal Position (BPP) sensor MUST be re-calibrated anytime the BCM is reprogrammed on 2012 or newer vehicles.

2. The remote start instructions state that the BPP sensor will need to be re-calibrated. Starting with the 2012 Model year a BPP sensor was added to the trucks and the BPP Re-Calibration MUST BE PERFORMED. However, the 2007-2011 trucks are not equipped with a BPP sensor so the re-calibration cannot be performed and is not necessary.
  3. The Theft Deterrent Module will need to be SPS programmed with the remote start option selected.

Note: Please select TDM in the controller list and not VTD relearn when re-programming the TDM.

4. Clear all codes in all the modules on the vehicle.
  5. Program the new remotes (supplied in the kit) to the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver.
  6. Installation complete.

Troubleshooting: Remote Start Inoperative:

1. If the vehicle is equipped with RPO UK3 Steering Wheel Controls with the Drivers Information Center (DIC), make sure remote start option is turned on in the DIC.
  2. Make sure the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver is calibrated for the remote start option. Most vehicles with the RPO AP8 should already be programmed for remote start.
  3. Make sure the vehicle has adequate fuel (above a 1/4 of a tank).
  4. Make sure there are NO DTCs.
  5. Check for any of the disable conditions listed in SI Document ID# 1689813.
  6. If B1370 code is set and the RVS is inop then verify that the TDM has been programmed for the RVS selection.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

DO you know where I can get the GM Accessory Remote Start Kit?  Every deal I've called will only tell me that the part has been discontinued & I end up in a vicious circle between service and Parts.  

Steve

1 hour ago, Steven Tkachuk said:

DO you know where I can get the GM Accessory Remote Start Kit?  Every deal I've called will only tell me that the part has been discontinued & I end up in a vicious circle between service and Parts.  

Steve

Steve...Can you post me the last 8 digits of your VIN? They have discontinued some of the kits, but some are still available that may work for you, but I need your VIN to verify.

2 hours ago, MS3DALE said:

Steve...Can you post me the last 8 digits of your VIN? They have discontinued some of the kits, but some are still available that may work for you, but I need your VIN to verify.

Sure Thanks!  The last 8 :  BZ296670

The Part Number that I have been trying to get is 17801236

Steve

16 hours ago, Steven Tkachuk said:

Steve

Steve.….

17801236 is discontinued, however I called our local GM-ADI (which is GM's accessory distributor installer in our area) its been replaced by part# 22970855

Ok, I looked up the part on several parts websites & most of them has said that this part doesn't work for my truck.  Do know if this part comes with the Authorization code for GM? I'm hesitant to buy it until I can get some verification.  Should I take this part number to the dealer & have them verify that its correct?

I just dont want to shell out a bunch of $$ if it doesn't work.   

Steve

8 minutes ago, Steven Tkachuk said:

Ok, I looked up the part on several parts websites & most of them has said that this part doesn't work for my truck.  Do know if this part comes with the Authorization code for GM? I'm hesitant to buy it until I can get some verification.  Should I take this part number to the dealer & have them verify that its correct?

I just dont want to shell out a bunch of $$ if it doesn't work.   

Steve

Part# 22970855 replaced part# 17801236, Your local dealer can call their ADI as well to verify if you want.

Its discontinued.

GM shows no superseding part #s for 17801236 in EPIC either, nor does GM show 22970855 replacing it.    

Their engineering notes show no superseding number either:  

PART NUMBER 17801236. TRANSMITTER PACKAGE. IS DISCONTINUED. FOR REPLACEMENT TRANSMITTER. USE PART NUMBER 22936098

10 minutes ago, newdude said:

Its discontinued.

GM shows no superseding part #s for 17801236 in EPIC either, nor does GM show 22970855 replacing it.    

Their engineering notes show no superseding number either:  

22970855 is the number we've used here at the dealership, it's worked fine.

On 1/22/2020 at 4:14 PM, Steven Tkachuk said:

Steve

Chevy Direct Parts is showing 17801236 being available you could call them to verify.

https://www.chevydirectparts.com/oem-parts/gm-remote-start-17801236

• 8 months later...