Oil Consumption

I have a 14 Silverado with a 5.3, I was thinking that GM had this issue taken care of but apparently not. I just turned 40k on the truck I bought it with a little over 20. I'm on the 3rd oil change and haven't had any oil issues yet. Sunday my oil level warning came on, I checked the oil and was about 2qts low. I'm have around 3,000 miles on the last oil change and the oil life is showing 50%. I have been driving it quite lazily, does the oil consumption issue become worse the more the truck is in V4 mode? Will a range program fix this if so?

I do have a range unit for sale if you would like it, just saying. Truck drives much better while in v8 the entire time, even my dad could tell the difference in his 09, said it felt like a whole new truck

• Like 1

Are you sure it's a consumption issue? Could be a leak.

I have a 14 Silverado with a 5.3, I was thinking that GM had this issue taken care of but apparently not. I just turned 40k on the truck I bought it with a little over 20. I'm on the 3rd oil change and haven't had any oil issues yet. Sunday my oil level warning came on, I checked the oil and was about 2qts low. I'm have around 3,000 miles on the last oil change and the oil life is showing 50%. I have been driving it quite lazily, does the oil consumption issue become worse the more the truck is in V4 mode? Will a range program fix this if so?

did you put 8qts in? I've yet to see one of the 14+ trucks burn that much oil.

Capacity is actually 8 litres with a filter change. 8 quarts is about a 1/2 quart shy.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/May/Silverado-May-5/0505-silv-specs.html

But ya, it sounds like he didn't put in the full amount.

Still I find it odd that you guys are going through so much oil between oil changes. Mine hasn't burnt a drop between recommended oil changes.

gm changed the spec's and lowered down to 8 qts for both the 5.3l and 6.2l

Engine Oil with Filter

• 4.3L V6

5.7 liters

6.0 quarts

• 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V8

7.6 liters

8.0 quarts

• 6.0L V8

5.7 liters

6.0 quarts

• Like 1

gm changed the spec's and lowered down to 8 qts for both the 5.3l and 6.2l

Engine Oil with Filter

• 4.3L V6

5.7 liters

6.0 quarts

• 5.3L V8, and 6.2L V8

7.6 liters

8.0 quarts

• 6.0L V8

5.7 liters

6.0 quarts

Right from the 2014 manual (which he has).

Screen_Shot_2016_05_31_at_9_12_17_PM.png

• Like 1

Right from the 2014 manual (which he has).

Screen_Shot_2016_05_31_at_9_12_17_PM.png

They did change it to just 8 qts for the V8s because 8 1/2 was too much.

If you look at the 2016 manual (same engines with no changes) on the Chevy website it's updated to 8 qts.

Look on page 478

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2016-silverado-owners-manual.pdf

Edited by SouthernSilveradoGuy85
  • Like 1

They did change it to just 8 qts for the V8s because 8 1/2 was too much.

If you look at the 2016 manual (same engines with no changes) on the Chevy website it's updated to 8 qts.

Look on page 478

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2016-silverado-owners-manual.pdf

They changed it because the lower oil pan is smaller on the 2016's. Completely different part number.

Edit: it appears that there are two numbers, the same number can be found on the 2016's as well.

Edited by Deanjo