Driver side wind noise

They are burning all my gas with all their test drives where they "can't hear anything".  Mine is right in my ear also, in the corner. I am thinking the window seal needs replaced next, but it is obviously a defective design, so i'm not too enthused about doing that just to have the same issue.

In hindsight, i wish i hadn't told them and just lived with the first noise i had. It is practically undriveable now, need a set of ear plugs to drive the damn thing. Not happy.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it took me so long to get back to the forum since my mirror was replaced for the wind noise. I had a knee replacement and have been laid up for awhile and couldn't take the truck on a trip down the interstate.  Finally the wind noise has been eliminated!  The factory rep that Chevy sent to the dealer to verify my problem said he was not going to replace the mirror even though I had taken the truck to the dealer with tape around the mirror and there was no noise. He said to install two inner mirror seals to eliminate the noise.  After 40 miles down the interstate the noise was back intermittently. At 70 miles down the interstate it was constant again although the two seals reduced the volume.  I took the truck back to the dealer and told them that every gasket and seal on the truck side and door side has been replaced, some parts more than once.  The only part not replaced was the mirror assembly.  The service manager told me that they were going to a three day product seminar in Atlanta and he would see and talk to the factory rep that would not authorize a mirror replacement.  He said after a 30 minute conversation and discussion of the 10 trips I had made with no resolution, the factory rep agreed to replace the mirror.  They removed the mirror and installed a new mirror.  The two inner mirror gaskets were replaced with a single gasket.  Finally, the wind noise has been eliminated!  NO MORE NOISE! The new mirror fits flush with the truck and the outer rubber gasket is much thicker than the old gasket.  The rubber gasket was rather thin on the original mirror and there was a small gap at the top of the mirror where it comes to a point at the top.  I had taken the truck to the dealer with tape around the edges of the mirror and there was no noise.  I did this three times.  I rode with the tech and he insisted the tape changed the aerodynamics of the truck and that the noise was from a defective seal on the door or truck.  This lead to many visits and for replacement or every rubber seal on the truck.  The service manager proved my point that the air was coming in from the outside around the mirror.  He took off the door panel and then took an air hose and blew air along the mirror edges.  This caused the inner mirror seal to vibrate.  That seal is a rubberized foam seal that goes on the inside of the mirror.  This is when the factory rep said to install two seals to keep the air out but they did not hold up from the air coming in from the outside.  The plastic trim that runs around the top of the window is hollow. The air was coming in from the mirror and getting into this piece and traveling around the window.  The noise appears to the coming from to top front of this window trim.  Now its gone and finally I am completely satisfied with the truck.  I hope this helps someone get their issue resolved.  If by chance it comes back, and I don't think it will, I will update my post. 

Glad you were able to resolve it!

I carefully added silicone caulk around the base of my drivers side mirror, where it mounts to the door, but it didn't reduce the noise.  Mine may not be as severe, and likely just a design issue.  I'll probably just roll with it for now.  

Good luck with your knee recovery.

I have this same noise but only after I removed my mirror to install the Intellihaul cameras. I made sure the seals were positioned perfectly before putting the mirror back on. I guess I triggered this issue which I did not have previously.

• 2 weeks later...

The only wind noise that I have had/noticed, on high wind days (like today), when I have a crosswind, it sounds like the wind is trying to pry open the leeward side door(s), at the top(s). 

• Like 1

The only wind noise that I have had/noticed, on high wind days (like today), when I have a crosswind, it sounds like the wind is trying to pry open the leeward side door(s), at the top(s). 

I have the same problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dealer put a bead of weatherstrip adhesive under the window seal corner where it was leaking, to push it out against the window. It changed the air leak from an annoying high pitched sound, to a very low 'hiss'.

I am still not happy, but while my truck was at the dealer, I got a brand new 2018 Suburban for a rental with only 4 miles on it. Well, its door seal was leaking like a sieve at the top, like so bad there was a gap between the seals.  This sounds like the same leak that some others have mentioned.

So I've decided that they are all junk, and I guess mine is not as bad as it could be.  This, apparently, is what you get for $50,000 these days.

My next truck will be at least 20 years old, at least then I will expect the problems my 2017 has.

• Haha 1

In my last post I stated that my noise was eliminated after the driver's side mirror was replaced.  On my truck, the air was getting in because the mirror and/or rubber seal around the mirror were defective.  There was a small gap at the top of the mirror that was letting the air inside the mirror opening.  The first two images are the front and back of the flimsy foam mirror seal that is on the inside, behind the mirror.  The third picture shows the top of the seal.  The service manager at the dealership shot a stream of air from an air hose at the outside of the door.  The top part shown in the third image vibrated back and forth, hitting the mirror side and the door frame side.  When driving the truck the noise appeared to be coming from the top of the black trim around the window.  This piece is hollow and when the vibrations from the mirror seal hit where this piece curves towards the top of the window, the noise could be heard.  After I bought the truck it would only make the sound when on the Interstate.  The longer I had the truck, the noise would come back at lower speeds, down to as little as 30 miles an hour. Even when GM sent a representative to the dealership to verify the issue he refused to replace the mirror even though I took the truck to the dealer with tape around the mirror on several occasions and the noise was eliminated. Even after witnessing the air hose test his solution was to put two foam seals in there to tighten it up.  It did not work.  First drive on the interstate and the noise was back with two seals although the volume was somewhat reduced.  I had ten warranty trips to the dealer before the mirror was replaced on trip 11.  Every seal on the door and truck side door opening was replaced, some more than once.  They would not replace the mirror after the tape test.  They would have save a lot of time (me too) and money to have just replaced the mirror the first time rather than trying to take the cheap way out.

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

• 7 months later...

Ok guys, last post I made in May I stated that the dealer had replaced the driver side mirror and my problem was solved.  It lasted until the temps dropped below 50 degrees and then the noise returned in it's full glory.  I made a couple of trips to the dealer and they replaced the mirror cap because they found a tab was broken off on the back during reinstall when replacing the mirror assembly.  Did not change anything.  I took it back a couple of more times and the service manager doesn't want to talk to me.  He says it is normal for the vehicle and there is nothing that can be done.  Well. I fixed it myself!  The dealer owns a Toyota dealership that is right next door.  I walked across the parking lot and I am now the proud owner of a 2019 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition!  Wind noise eliminated!  Fourteen trips to the dealer and two visits from the district manager in 18 months failed to fix the issue.  After 30 years of driving Chevy/GMC trucks I have moved on and will not be looking back.

Edited by FrozBot
Spelling