Silverado 1500 with 5.3 towing 7500 lbs

Jason Clark

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2016 Silverado LT with the 5.3L, I believe the payload is 1869 (confirming tomorrow). I optioned it out with the max trailering package, and I switched the tires to LT rated tires. The trailer I have weighs 5915lbs dry, and has 640 lbs tongue weight dry. We pack fairly light and never travel with full tanks. I use a Equalizer hitch with 4 point sway. Do you think this setup will work well? We're downsizing from a 3/4 tonne that's 11 years old and want a truck thats more drivable around town.

Trailer specs: http://www.rvguide.com/specs/keystone/travel-trailer/2013/outback/250rs.html

Thanks!

Edited by Zuneee

You'll be fine. I was towing about 8k regularly for a few months. Normal Trans temps all summer. I change my diff fluids every 25k, but it's rated to tow the 10.xk I believe. I have the 6spd (2015)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Zuneee,

Congrats on the new truck!!!

As for being a good match with your current tt, more info is needed. With 1800+lbs of payload, you are ahead of the game.

Total family weight? With a bunkhouse, guessing you guys have at least one kid, maybe two? Remember they will continue to get heavier if still growing.

How much cargo weight (coolers, bikes, firewood, etc) is usually in the truck bed?

Your tw is at least 800lbs, before loading the trailer with anything beyond the 2-30lb propane tanks and a battery on the tongue. The tanks and battery usually aren't included in the "brochure" dry weight.

Plus ~100lbs for the wdh set up.

Hopefully your good to go!!! Don't forget any accessories you add to the truck lowers the payload.

Enjoy the new truck!!!

Edited by Blue2500CC

I tow a Cougar 30RKS. Weight (dry plus carrying) is 8,200. Loaded up I am still under my trucks GVW (by 60 pounds) and under both axle weights. I also use a 4 pt hitch.

Went from a 2001 Duramax for much the same reason. I don't tow a lot and wanted something nice for my short commute. I've pulled through Banff, and Jasper and had no real issues. A bit bouncy where the road had heaved, but I'm thinking some air bags will settle that out.

You will be fine.

• 4 years later...

We are having an issue with our 2005, 5.3 V-8 4X4. Our GVWR for our truck is only 6400, our trailer max is 7700. Our trailer weighed in at 5620 on the scales but can't seem to get under the gvwr for our truck. Even with our truck being relatively empty (just us, our yorkie, a tool box and small grill in back). The rule of thumb when you get your rig weighed is for the steer axle and drive axle total weights to be under your trucks GVWR. Any ideas

On 1/31/2021 at 11:42 AM, Irene said:

We are having an issue with our 2005, 5.3 V-8 4X4. Our GVWR for our truck is only 6400, our trailer max is 7700. Our trailer weighed in at 5620 on the scales but can't seem to get under the gvwr for our truck. Even with our truck being relatively empty (just us, our yorkie, a tool box and small grill in back). The rule of thumb when you get your rig weighed is for the steer axle and drive axle total weights to be under your trucks GVWR. Any ideas

Are you confusing GVWR and GCVWR?