2014 Silverado transmission temperature

The transmission temperature on my '14 Silverado 1500 (31k miles) with factory tow pkg runs about 194* when not towing. It has been like this since new. When towing my 6k lb travel trailer it goes as high as 210*. I do have the factory tow pkg which only has the transmission cooler that is within the radiator. But all non tow pkg vehicle's have that too.

I recently needed to tow my camper using my buddies 2010 Hemi Ram 1500 with tow pkg & 104k miles on the clock. Out of curiosity I set his guages to display the transmission temp. It never got above 154* even after a 50 mile pull. Mine is NEVER below 194* pulling on that same route.

Seems like the Chevy has an inferior tow pkg when compared to Ram. Transmission life is largely dependant on the transmission coolant temperature.

I like the Chevy truck but it seems to fall behind when it comes to towing.

Edited by ata3001

Starting in 2014, GM started installing a Thermal Bypass Valve on the transmissions. It acts like a thermostat, staying closed until the temp reaches approx 190 degrees, then opening to allow fluid to flow through the cooler. Mine did the same thing. During the hot as hell SC summers, mine would run up to 210 degrees before opening (unloaded) and never go below 190. I added a 20K btu Tru Cool tranny cooler and modified the bypass valve. Now I can sit in stop & go traffic at 175 degrees, or run the interstate at 75 mph at 145 degrees. If you guys are interested, I can turn you onto the mod. I doesn't cost anything.

Just got my '16 a few days ago, haven't even found the screen to check the trans temp yet. I'll be towing a 4-5,000lb boat around soon and am definitely interested in keeping the trans temp down. 210 sounds a bit high...but, then again, I'm not a GM engineer..

...what's the mod Dad?

Body of the valve & its parts. Just reverse the order. Put the spring inside the valve on the right, and flip the plunger over. It keeps the orifice between the transmission lines blocked so fluid is constantly flowing through the tranny cooling system. They didn't use these valves prior to 2014. Same transmission, same fluid. My torque converter and pump going out at 10K miles prompted me to change the system to 2013 & earlier temps.

IMG_0442_zpst9lvpxy5.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Vroom said:

14’ chevy silverado 1500LT 207k miles towing     
3-4k lbs tranny running at 257*(degreesF)?

That’s way too high.

check the passenger side line off the trans cooler, if it’s ambient when the transmission is above 200 degree’s, it means your trans thermostat is stuck closed

• Thanks 1

Also get your trans fluid changed when you figure out solution, that’s past the limit where I’d be comfortable keeping it in there.

just to give you more info on trans thermostat, it opens up around 190 degrees. It still allows a little leakage when closed.

correct operation

180 degrees = drivers side trans cooler input line hot, passenger side line cold

200 degrees = both lines hot AF

thermostat stuck closed

drivers side is always about the temp your trans says it is, passenger side is ambient

dealerships could not diagnose this, took me months to figure out why my trans was hitting 230 degrees

Edited by truckguy82

Freaking have a 2014 GMC Sierra Slt 4x4 5.3 lifted in 35s,,,,, just drive to Northern Michigan for the 4th from saintpetersburg Florida .     Well on way back pulling a snall 8x9 trailer when I hit Georgia 94 degrees out, felt hesitation and RPMS sky rocketing up to 4K and truck not moving no where just slowing down ,    I was on 75s, Temp was 235...., check engine light came on and went to limp mode and had to Manuel shift it back to where I bought it from in dade city , took it there straight from road trip with trailer and bikes in back this pastSaturday July 11 2020 ....... waiting to find out .     Truck was shacking like crazy  and Making so much clanking and winding noises .      Limped it back 35mph all way to dealer ...... just hit 102,000 

• 3 weeks later...

My 2014 Silverado 2WD, transmission temp stays about 189-190 not towing anything at about 60-65mph.

My question is, is this normal?

In a few months I will be towing my 5000lb trailer 1900 miles to Arizona, and I am a little worried about it.

Any recommendations anyone?

24 minutes ago, Bear1956 said:

My 2014 Silverado 2WD, transmission temp stays about 189-190 not towing anything at about 60-65mph.

My question is, is this normal?

In a few months I will be towing my 5000lb trailer 1900 miles to Arizona, and I am a little worried about it.

Any recommendations anyone?

Normal? Yes for the K2's and newer. That is the thermostats regulating temperature. But not a single 6L80-E preceding 2014 had one nor any other GM automatic. They all had coolers and ran unregulated. They don't "LIKE' to run hot. No machine does. Yes GM engineers designed it but not for reasons of longevity. Flipped the pill in mine early on and now nearing 125 K she is still thanking me. 

I think this question has been asked in about a half dozen threads just this week and dozens over the five years I've been here. One of these needs to get pinned or a neon sign put up for the question. Use the search tools.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, danreyes49 said:

I have a 2014 silverado 4x4.. had 101k miles .. had transmission replaced a couple of weeks ago, runs average about 198 degrees.. without towing.  Don't really ever tow much, at least nothing very heavy when I do. Is that temperature normal?.. especially for a new transmission..

Yep. 

• 2 months later...

My 14' was overheating to 260, felt a knock when slowing down coming out of 2nd. I pulled over and towed it to the house. Code p0777 control pressure solenoid b stuck on. So i changed the Techm and valvebody, had it programmed. Now it wont go in reverse, forward works but its a bit sluggish. When programmed the tech said the tcm seemed to be working and responding correctly. Maybe a bad valve body? 

Update:

I was missing one of the valve body to pump seals. Truck is up and running. I am running between 201-203 while driving in town. 190 on the highway. At idle it crept to 216 but it maintained that. Still going to keep an eye on the temp.

Edited by Wnxtony
Update to post