New truck receiver doesn't work with our current trailer

If we're talking shock load, then those little loops on our hitches won't hold chit either. Neither will most safety chains. 
You'd be surprised what that little bit of webbing will support...seen that first hand.

The less informed use those for chain/strap points for yanking when they lack a hitch. I have not seen one fail that didn't also bend the receiver frame.

I don't think that receiver is just your typical run of the mill mild steel...

But whatever, I have no dog in this fight...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

23 hours ago, SouthpawHD said:

If we're talking shock load, then those little loops on our hitches won't hold chit either. Neither will most safety chains. 

reminds me of a comment my dad made years ago to a guy who questioned  factory safety chains ... "if that trailer comes in hooked from the Ball and drops ....I don't want nuthin' to do with it anymore anyway ... let it go ....Call the insurance company."

reminds me of a comment my dad made years ago to a guy who questioned  factory safety chains ... "if that trailer comes in hooked from the Ball and drops ....I don't want nuthin' to do with it anymore anyway ... let it go ....Call the insurance company."
Until it smashes headlong into oncoming traffic and kills a family...

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

a response I expected ....
the comment was in relation to the manufacturers only making chains at minimal standards ...!!!

Most chains will handle the trailer coming loose, at least the ones on my trailers would if the receiver stays on the truck. It's a short length, the actual drop is minimal if we have them setup correctly.

I have had a hitch break, it's not a pleasant experience by any stretch.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

6 minutes ago, sdeeter19555 said:

Most chains will handle the trailer coming loose, at least the ones on my trailers would if the receiver stays on the truck. It's a short length, the actual drop is minimal if we have them setup correctly.

I have had a hitch break, it's not a pleasant experience by any stretch.

Steve
2012 2500hd 6.0l

yes  on my 07 Silverado I came back from Maine with my 4wheeler trailer  and noticed a small rust hole in the crosstube  on the truck side  hitch ....I decided to replace it before  I towed my Camper ....thankfully I did as  both mounts at the truck frame flange were 3/4 rotted away .. would have never seen it ....

Archived