Weird 4x4 binding problem 96 K1500

Hi, thanks for taking the time to check out a new members post. I just picked a new to me 96 K1500, its a cool truck, old county rig i think, with a spot and nice winch mount. Seller said a new motor 5 or 6 years ago. Not sure if thats true but it soubds and pulls great. Has 31 in tires, and may or may not have a lift.

Now to my issue: it had a shattered front passenger wheel bearing and busted CV when I got it, but those were quick fixes for the price. In 2wd (floor shifter) it cruises awesome at 70, but I put it in 4wd hi while I was cruising some logging roads (dirt/mud/gravel) the other night and it was almost undriveable. Like it kept trying to buck me over the side, or like I had a flat tire. This is at about 10-25 mph. This morning I tried it again, and it really felt like it was taking way too much power to move the truck, and I could see how much the tires were tearing up the gravel just driving along in a straight line.

Any thoughts on this? It isn't just dragging a wheel, theyre all turning, and not even really skipping, it feels almost like the front and the back are fighting each other. Could I have messed up anything on the axle replacement? The new one looked a little different, but seemed to be the same dimensions as near I could tell, and the parts store said it'd work...

I wonder if that's why you had a bad cv? My bet is either the front or rear diff went bad and they swapped with another unit...what you describe is classic mismatch front/rear ratios. I'll be curious to see what you find.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Right on thanks for the input. I went by one of those flashing signs that read your speed today, and it showed I'm going 3 to 5 miles an hour slower than what it says on the sign, though that may just be the tires. I'll have to get it up in the air this weekend, and keep an eye out for some Craigslist parts.

Could possibly be a transfer case issue as well with some of the internal parts binding when in 4WD. I just had some issue with mine and it was causing the truck to "buck" in 2WD and 4WD so I replaced the transfer case and the "bucking" stopped. Now I have a grinding noise that I need to find :nonod:.

So I jacked up the passenger side today and it looks like spinning the rear wheel one full rotation pushes the front wheel about 10-15% further. With a little more than half a rotation of the wheel for every full rotation of the drive shaft.

Still have to figure out the math to find out what that means though... Not my strong suit

So I jacked up the passenger side today and it looks like spinning the rear wheel one full rotation pushes the front wheel about 10-15% further. With a little more than half a rotation of the wheel for every full rotation of the drive shaft.

Still have to figure out the math to find out what that means though... Not my strong suit

wow, that is way off.

that is like 3.42 to a 3.73..

bizarre.

would love to know the outcome.

also, my speedo is slow too, these are the first electronic, don't sweat it. Does the speedo flicker to 5mph while idling up in park or neutral? that is not unusual either. :)

I love the 96-98... hope you get it going for a good deal.

Archived