Some one get me a drink!!

Grumpy Bear

I know - that's why I said "any automaker". They all pull this crap, and we're seeing lately that they're all in on it. In years past there would be a couple models that a domestic brand would collaborate with a foreign brand ( Ford Ranger / Mazda /Yamaha, Dodge Stealth / Mitsubishi, etc.), but now it seems they collaborate with everything. With my '07 I started noticing similar parts in my truck that I had seen in Fords and Chrysler products. Then I hear they all designed that new 6-speed tranny, and possibly that 9-speed that Fiat uses.

If the auto industry is in that bad of financial shape that they have to rip us all off continuously, why don't they just come out and SAY it? Did obama ban corporations from saying they're in dire straits during his administration, so he won't look bad? Sure seems that way. We get 2.75 quarts of OJ for the same price that we used to pay for 1 gallon - definitely not a sign of a financially healthy country, or economy ...

If they made them to last 500K miles they would cost too much, people would keep them longer. People would start complaining they only last 500K miles for the cost. When I first started buying them we were happy we got 100K miles out of them, comparably speaking they cost the same. They are better now, people just complain more.

If they made them to last 500K miles they would cost too much, people would keep them longer. People would start complaining they only last 500K miles for the cost. When I first started buying them we were happy we got 100K miles out of them, comparably speaking they cost the same. They are better now, people just complain more.

I disagree.I've heard that argument since grade school. If you made a perfect hammer once everyone had one you wouldn't sell anymore hammers. Several problems with that thought. First and worse is he idea that we know all there is to know about a hammer the first time we make one. We just will never do better. That's pretty arrogant and at the same time defeatist IMO. If that were true we would still be using leaches at the doctors office and rocks in the creek for laundry.

Second, you don't sell more hammers by making junk hammers. You sell more hammers by selling BETTER hammers. Glitz isn't better. Gizmo's are not better. Shinny isn't better. Larger isn't better. Micro isn't better. Just different for the sake of being different isn't better. Cheaper isn't better. More expensive isn't better. BETTER is BETTER. If that were REALLY the case we would all have meaningful satisfying and economically viable work people would LOVE to do.

Third. Marketing media has convinced most that only the people that bankrupted the industry are "smart enough" to make it right and if they are made responsible for their actions that we wont be able to keep them in the industry. Really? The thief that robs me is the only one I can trust not to rob me twice? Get a grip. Who thinks up this *****.

Lastly. As long as we believe the device should write the operating manual instead of the designer/manufacture and creator the boat sinks. Blind lead the blind and they both fall into a pit.

I don't know Karnut ... seems like my grandparents and parents must be the only people on earth that got 200k+ out of the old bones, but then again, we knew how to fix 'em.

The drivelines have improved, no question. We get more power and better mileage out of smaller displacements. More gears for better mileage. But like I said, it's all wrapped in a big, expensive crap sandwich.

The best solution to this is to take a modern driveline and stuff it under anything built before 1973. If you want it reliable, rip the electronic crap off and stuff a carburetor on it. Problem solved. Now you've got something worth $50k.

Yeah, that would be great! The second gen engine was alot of fun as it was in our '89 that I sold last year.

If only the things would stop rusting ...

post-65085-0-79244600-1437007177_thumb.jpg
post-65085-0-34846300-1437007090_thumb.jpg

I did like the old body styles better, we tend just to remember the good. The bad, wind noise through the wing windows and door frames, rattling widows, road noise, and rust. I recently had a 65 GMC it had the drive line out of a 92 Tahoe, computer and all. I spent the years I had trying to make it quite. I replace everything, wind noise rattles remain. That and chasing rust, I never drove it in the rain. I traded it for a restored 65 elcamino, 327 4 speed factory air, black. Drove like a school bus, great to look at. I'll stay with the new ones.

I don't know Karnut ... seems like my grandparents and parents must be the only people on earth that got 200k+ out of the old bones, but then again, we knew how to fix 'em.

The drivelines have improved, no question. We get more power and better mileage out of smaller displacements. More gears for better mileage. But like I said, it's all wrapped in a big, expensive crap sandwich.

The best solution to this is to take a modern driveline and stuff it under anything built before 1973. If you want it reliable, rip the electronic crap off and stuff a carburetor on it. Problem solved. Now you've got something worth $50k.

Too each his own, as they say. I'll gladly trade a little wind noise for something I'm able to fix & maintain with basic hand tools, and I know 100% won't leave me stranded on the side of the highway. With computers, I just don't have that confidence.

My El Camino rode and handled better than ANY modern vehicle I've ever been in. All it took was polygraphite bushings in the front end, and a quality set of shocks.

A couple years back while 3,200 miles from home, my Silverado wouldn't crank! Luckily I turned the key off then back on again, and it started. It did this about 6 times over the course of 3 years ... but hasn't happened since! WTF ...

I have no confidence in electronics, for good reason.

At the same time I had my stock drum brake, stock front end elcamino I had a Genesis coup, 2001 Acura intagra r, trailblazer ss for work, wife drove a Z28. No caparson handling. The elcamino was a 327-250hp stock restore an original, I didn't have any fantasy of it keeping up in away with those.

Too each his own, as they say. I'll gladly trade a little wind noise for something I'm able to fix & maintain with basic hand tools, and I know 100% won't leave me stranded on the side of the highway. With computers, I just don't have that confidence.

My El Camino rode and handled better than ANY modern vehicle I've ever been in. All it took was polygraphite bushings in the front end, and a quality set of shocks.

A couple years back while 3,200 miles from home, my Silverado wouldn't crank! Luckily I turned the key off then back on again, and it started. It did this about 6 times over the course of 3 years ... but hasn't happened since! WTF ...

I have no confidence in electronics, for good reason.

Archived