Display mode (day / night)

I have my display mode set to day but as soon as I drive in shade or when it starts getting dark the display goes dim. This is really irritating. I check setting but it shows display is in days mode. I've taken to GM for service but they say it does not change with them. Help! Thanks in advance.

My answer may be off base, but I'll try anyway.

The displays dim when the headlights switch on in auto mode. The dash lights respond by going dim, into night mode. Pulling in to my garage does it. Is that the answer?

Ya it's the auto headlights. It's to protect your eyes since they will dilate for being dark to let more light in so you don't want a bright dash or center screen while driving at night. Same as to why it's not a good idea to have dome or map lights on unless they need to be on for a short time. Good thing the map lights in these new trucks doesn't seem to blind you, but still bright enough to see what you need to see. I keep my Galaxy phone's screen set to auto and when it's dark the screen also dims.

But when you take it out of "auto" mode, the dash lights will still dim, just not the headlights.

I am not a fan of having to turn the dash lights up during the day and back down at night. Mine will switch going under a two lane bridge on the freeway.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Sorry guys I'm not talking about the headlight. My radio display and dash display I have changed the settings to day mode not auto. The inside display on screen and dash keeps going back to night mode. How is this possible and how can I fix it

Sorry guys I'm not talking about the headlight. My radio display and dash display I have changed the settings to day mode not auto. The inside display on screen and dash keeps going back to night mode. How is this possible and how can I fix it

When the headlights turn on (manually or on auto) there is ALSO the dimming of the Dash & Radio & Nav Display brightness, so not having the auto headlights turning on in the daytime (under bridges & tunnels) will leave the dash & radio brightness in day mode (full bright).

Edited by Cosmic Charlie

Headlights - set on auto

Dimmer switch under lights control - pushed all the way up

On radio display screen - under setting the display is set to day mode

How can I get the display on the inside to stay in day mode? It keeps going dim or to night mode when I go under bridges or when it starts getting dark. If I have it set to day mode it should stay in day mode. It's not in auto mode but it acts like it is.

According to my dealer, there is no way. A mystery why they allow you to override the auto headlights, but not the dash.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

sorry I was wrong - Denali must be different from the SLT ...

I own a 2016 3/4 ton Denali, my dash lights will dim or go into "night mode" when the sensor recognizes that it's dark enough regardless if the light switch is in auto or if it is turned off manually. Also, I can only adjust dash/display lights when it is in "night mode", turning lights on manually still does not allow me to adjust them if the sensor thinks it's to light out. That is a little annoying.

Edited by grnmtnboy

• 1 month later...

Headlights - set on auto

Dimmer switch under lights control - pushed all the way up

On radio display screen - under setting the display is set to day mode

How can I get the display on the inside to stay in day mode? It keeps going dim or to night mode when I go under bridges or when it starts getting dark. If I have it set to day mode it should stay in day mode. It's not in auto mode but it acts like it is.

I believe I have a similar problem on my new '17 that I am currently in "discussions" about with my dealer.

You said "On radio display screen - under setting the display is set to day mode"

In my Infotainment manual, page 100, it says Settings -> Display -> Mode gets you to three choises: Mode, Calibrate Touchscreen and Turn Display Off. Is that what your display shows? Mine only shows two choices (Calibrate Touchscreen, and Turn Display Off) and always acts like it is in Auto mode. Please let me know if I understood your post correctly. I'm getting real tired of the display dimming every time I drive through a shadow. Thanks.

I believe I have a similar problem on my new '17 that I am currently in "discussions" about with my dealer.

You said "On radio display screen - under setting the display is set to day mode"

In my Infotainment manual, page 100, it says Settings -> Display -> Mode gets you to three choises: Mode, Calibrate Touchscreen and Turn Display Off. Is that what your display shows? Mine only shows two choices (Calibrate Touchscreen, and Turn Display Off) and always acts like it is in Auto mode. Please let me know if I understood your post correctly. I'm getting real tired of the display dimming every time I drive through a shadow. Thanks.

All if this has been done before I posted. None of it works and the dealer can not duplicate the problem. They say it must be the software and needs reprogramming. Go figure. It is irriating for the radio and the dash to just go dim during daylight. I will eventually go back to the daylight settings but it takes some time. GMC needs to address the problem.

All if this has been done before I posted. None of it works and the dealer can not duplicate the problem. They say it must be the software and needs reprogramming. Go figure. It is irriating for the radio and the dash to just go dim during daylight. I will eventually go back to the daylight settings but it takes some time. GMC needs to address the problem.

Thank you for your response. At least your dealer says its a s/w problem which I actually agreed with. Now when is GM going to fix the problem? I am pushing on my dealer and will let you know when and if they come up with anything.