Door lock actuator / motor not working.

Now that I am 1,000 miles over the bumper to bumper warranty on my 2015 Sierra SLE Crew Cab, I’ve got an issue with my passenger side rear lock motor/actuator.

I noticed the problem the other day when I opened the door and the alarm went off. After some testing, this door won’t lock or unlock with the remote or the switch on the door, which leads me to believe the issue is with the actuator itself. I pulled the door panel off and plan to troubleshoot it this week. Questions on troubleshooting this:

• I’d like to check power in to the actuator – anyone have wiring info to tell me which wire(s) I need to check with my multimeter? There are 6 wires total on the plug I think.
  • I will also check continuity at the actuator.
  • Assuming the issue is the actuator, what is the best place to purchase a replacement other than my local dealer?
  • Any other things I should check/test that I’m missing?
Edited by adaman04

I had one of these door lock actuators fail in my 2009 Impala about two years ago. I could not locate an aftermarket part for the rear door of that car, so it was dealer part only. About $ 100 with a discount, and real PITA to get it inside the door. Curiously enough, the three remaining actuators (and the replacement one) have not failed to date. They are rather large, made of plastic, and made in Mexico. It looks like reliability and quality of assembly of these actuators is hit and miss.

Everything can have a bad part now and again, I think the most annoying part is that the number of miles driven can nix the warranty on a door lock motor on a truck that is less than 2 years old. Sent customer service a PM, we'll see what they say. Nice to have them here to touch base from time to time.

Edited by adaman04

• 3 years later...
On 11/7/2016 at 10:56 AM, adaman04 said:

Now that I am 1,000 miles over the bumper to bumper warranty on my 2015 Sierra SLE Crew Cab, I’ve got an issue with my passenger side rear lock motor/actuator.

I noticed the problem the other day when I opened the door and the alarm went off. After some testing, this door won’t lock or unlock with the remote or the switch on the door, which leads me to believe the issue is with the actuator itself. I pulled the door panel off and plan to troubleshoot it this week. Questions on troubleshooting this:

• I’d like to check power in to the actuator – anyone have wiring info to tell me which wire(s) I need to check with my multimeter? There are 6 wires total on the plug I think.
  • I will also check continuity at the actuator.
  • Assuming the issue is the actuator, what is the best place to purchase a replacement other than my local dealer?
  • Any other things I should check/test that I’m missing?

Is there any more info on this? My 2016 Sierra double cab rear left door lock has stopped working with remote and both front panels. Most say this is due to the actuator but is there a way to test it after I remove the door panel? And is removing the 16 panel the same as a 15 Silverado? Is the part the same for a double cab as a crew?