High Pressure Fuel Pump associated engine squealing noise?

Took my truck in for air bag recall and a random squealing noise I can hear from the belt area of the engine. Truck is a 2016 Gmc SD 6.2L. My service rep says hmmm either a belt or pulley it sounds like... we will check it out... Another service advisor walks by and says that sounds like the high pressure fuel pump noise for the GDI engine we have had several people bring there trucks in regarding this noise. It is a standard noise for this engine. I find that noise being standard hard to believe so coming to the forum to find out if anyone else has experienced or received the same feedback. I have not received the truck back yet but thought I would start the topic to get feedback before I head back in to pick it up. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

Took my truck in for air bag recall and a random squealing noise I can hear from the belt area of the engine. Truck is a 2016 Gmc SD 6.2L. My service rep says hmmm either a belt or pulley it sounds like... we will check it out... Another service advisor walks by and says that sounds like the high pressure fuel pump noise for the GDI engine we have had several people bring there trucks in regarding this noise. It is a standard noise for this engine. I find that noise being standard hard to believe so coming to the forum to find out if anyone else has experienced or received the same feedback. I have not received the truck back yet but thought I would start the topic to get feedback before I head back in to pick it up. Thanks in advance.

I have exact same problem? 5.3L 8sp Sierra

Been to Dealer 2X now and get the blanket statement sounds like a Sierra? High Pressure Fuel Pump? Really? BS it's the waterpump/seals or something of that nature and others have posted same thing. Not my first time dealing with a noise from the engine Ya IDIOTS!

Let me know what happens, thanks

Currently my noise which is the same exact thing you describe can be heard in the freaking house while it idles after being started hot? They told me same thing, "sounds like the high pressure fuel pump" Piss off idiots! Just fix the stupid thing that sounds obnoxious will ya?

OK.. Update... Just received a call from the dealer... They say it is the purge valve making the noise.... Does any one know what a purge valve is for the 6.2L ? . Of course it is a "standard noise" made by the engine according to the tech... So let me get this right.. A high pressure fuel pump makes the noise and so does a purge valve? How many noises do they think will come out of the engine that are normal? All of them? I told them that answer will not work when I have my colleagues ask why my truck is making that noise... Oh it is a purge valve and it is supposed to do that... Was it malfunctioning the first 12,500 miles and not heard at all and then it started working right at 12,500 to now and making the standard noise. BS around...

Purge valve is part of the EVAP system. The EVAP line from the tank to the engine takes EVAP vapors and sends it to the engine. The purge valve is responsible for "purging" those vapors into the engine to be burned during combustion. Squeal would not be the high pressure pump at the engine. Those and the injectors make a noticeable ticking sound.

Did they throw a purge valve at it?

Edited by 15HDriver

Purge valve is part of the EVAP system. The EVAP line from the tank to the engine takes EVAP vapors and sends it to the engine. The purge valve is responsible for "purging" those vapors into the engine to be burned during combustion. Squeal would not be the high pressure pump at the engine. Those and the injectors make a noticeable ticking sound.

Did they throw a purge valve at it?

Not yet! I went to the dealer and had to help them re-create the sound..Apparently they did not listen that I said the truck had to be running for some time. The sound they thought I was referring too was not what I was hearing of course.... After the truck warmed up for about 30 minutes it started sounding like a turkey or squealing pig... They then all looked at each other and oh that sound is not right but not sure what it is... They kept the truck over night... I did have one of the technicians record the sound so at least we are in agreement finally something is wrong that is not "within factory specs".... And The saga continues....

Not yet! I went to the dealer and had to help them re-create the sound..Apparently they did not listen that I said the truck had to be running for some time. The sound they thought I was referring too was not what I was hearing of course.... After the truck warmed up for about 30 minutes it started sounding like a turkey or squealing pig... They then all looked at each other and oh that sound is not right but not sure what it is... They kept the truck over night... I did have one of the technicians record the sound so at least we are in agreement finally something is wrong that is not "within factory specs".... And The saga continues....

Good that they heard it. That's one of the toughest things I've noticed is that whole "cannot duplicate" deal. Anything done to duplicate it so they can hear it/know what triggers it helps them a lot.

i have a 5.3 the noise on mine ( sounded like an f150 power steering pump)

turned out to be the oil pump. gm was aware of the problem and replaced it.

good luck.

rick

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...