02 2500HD sputtering and losing power

Driving back to college this last weekend I started having a weird problem with my 02 2500HD 6.0. It would kind of sputter and loose power, you could step on the gas and the engine would rev but it wouldn't go anywhere. It never stopped running. I had a similar issue on an 01 2500 when the fly wheel broke but that was quick and it just died right there. I was able to drive this truck back about 150 miles with it randomly sputtering and acting like it was going to die. It's the first time this has ever happened but it almost didnt make it back to college. There are no check engine lights but I'm not sure if that would actually be true or not because the motor was swapped by the previous owner and he might have had it turned off. I don't have a code reader here so I can't know for sure. The alternator has been squeaking but I had the output checked a few months ago and it was fine. Any ideas?

Buy some Throttle body Cleaner ( NOT carb cleaner) and clean the piss outta the throttle body, plate and whole area.. Spotless.. Get the plates too. You'll have to remove the air box and the big hose clamp on the Throttle body area. Good luck !

One of my buddies that works at a mechanic shop asked about it and he said the transmission needed a rebuild. Could that be the problem? I really don't want to have to do all that if that's not what's wrong with it

If the engine is sputtering and acting like it is going to die, the problem isn't the transmission.

Just offhand, I would suggest checking the fuel system, that you are getting good fuel pressure at the rail (there are a fuel rail on each side of the motor, along the intake manifold, should be a port for testing the pressure on the passenger side rail).

The '02 has a fuel filter along the frame rail on the drivers side, you might consider changing that if you haven't in awhile.

If the engine is sputtering and acting like it is going to die, the problem isn't the transmission.

Just offhand, I would suggest checking the fuel system, that you are getting good fuel pressure at the rail (there are a fuel rail on each side of the motor, along the intake manifold, should be a port for testing the pressure on the passenger side rail).

The '02 has a fuel filter along the frame rail on the drivers side, you might consider changing that if you haven't in awhile.

I had the fuel lines replaced awhile ago with nylon and a new fuel filter put in. Probably less than 2000 miles on it. Could it be a notoriously bad GM fuel pump? I'm not sure if that's ever been replaced

This really does sound like an air/fuel supply issue...... fuel pump, fuel pump relay, fuel filter/sock, fuel regulator if you have one, OR, an air supply issue like a bad MAF sensor but that should throw a code.

DEWFPO

Well I managed to get it home. It was fine for about the first 45 minutes and then it started sputtering and died 3 or 4 times the rest of the way. Actually had to have my dad pull me home the last 10 miles because it wouldn't start at all. It would turn over and try to start, but the RPM immediately dropped below 500 and could barely keep itself going and then I'd get a "check engine oil pressure message"

Sounds like it could be a crank position sensor. Similar to what happened to me. Sensors are cheap, pop one in and see what happens. If that's not it, as others said:

-relays/fuses

-fuel pump

-fuel filter

-dirty TB

-possible bad injectors

-maybe even plugs/wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Raptordude

• 3 years later...

Yeah mine just started sputtering coming back after I filled the tank. Its never really done anything that bad before. Sputter then after a little feathering the throttle it would pick back up. I filled it at a new place I've never filled at before wondered if maybe it was bad diesel or something? Mayne dirty tb it does have now 300,000 miles on it?