PIP5337E & Black Bear Tune - Problems

GMC-AT

2016 / 6.2 / 8 speed / 10K miles.

ok, so I just got my truck tuned (remote Autocal) by Black Bear. I did a quick test drive after and the truck drives better at low speeds around the city. However, today I went for my first real drive since the tune... a 2 hour road trip. I noticed quickly that the truck RPM fluctuates and I get a very noticeable shutter at around 60-65mph. After that speed .. the truck is perfect.

I noticed this recall below and it's exactly what my truck is doing..exactly. Now I'm confused because I don't know if the Tune has something to do with this? It never did this before the tune. Any insight would be great.. I have contacted BB and waiting on a reply.

http://gm.oemdtc.com/6597/pip5337e-shake-or-shudder-on-acceleration-excessive-engine-rpm-fluctuation-between-30-and-65-mph-2015-2016-cadillac-chevrolet-gmc

Well flash it back to stock and see if you can replicate it.

If not put flash back in and see if it returns.

If so, it's probably something in the tune that needs adjustment.

If you can replicate it when it's back to stock, you'll need to take it to the dealer. Then your issue will become if they run the scan and see you've had a tune, you may be on the hook for the repair, even though they clearly have a TSB out for it.

Let us know what you find.

I have the same issue you are having. 6.2/8 speed and 15k miles. My problem was not exhibited until I was towing a 5k boat ~1200 miles. When I got home and did some driving around town, I noticed the shuddering issue. It was exactly as described in 5337. This is a well documented issue with GM and as such, they have 5 different revisions for this TSB. The issue I had was finding a dealer that was willing to admit that there was indeed an issue and that this was not something I was dreaming up. Several told me "no MIL, no problems". Finally, after dealing with several people that thought I had a made up problem, I contacted the last dealer. I told them the problem I was having and they insisted that they did not need my diagnosis and that their Techs would diagnose it for me. Following that, I told them my diagnosis was that for a $50K truck with 15K miles on it, it sure had a weird vibration and I didn't care much for it. I had run a log to see what the TCC slip was and it was most certainly out of spec. I finally dropped the truck off and a week later, much to my surprise, the torque converter was deemed "defective".

This topic struck me because I also have a tune but had 12K uneventful miles with it. I only had an issue after towing a relatively small boat for an extended distance (should not have been an issue). If I were you, I would look in your area and try to find a dealer that isn't going to run you around and offer to fix the issue. While it may take a lot of phone calls, it may save some time in the end.

If I have anymore information once mine is repaired, Ill be sure to let you know.

Also, I noticed you said that your truck didn't exhibit this issue until after a 2 hour drive. Mine would not do it until the trans was at or above 165. I work close to home so most times I don't notice. Its only after driving 30-45 minutes or more that it starts. I didn't know if that information would help.

Good luck with it.

If I'm not mistaken, you have the dreaded torque converter shudder that seems to be common among 6.2/8 Speed combos. A buddy of mine's 2015 Denali was doing the exact same thing, but it was bone stock with no tune. Dealer replaced the converter and it's been good since.

I'm going to be the tune back to stock today and see if I still have the shutter.

Also - the shutter didn't happen only after a 2 hour drive... it's started once the trans was warm. what I was saying is the that 2 hour drive was the first time I had a chance to really test out the new tune.... and quickly noticed the issue. Didn't ever notice before the tune.

I just had this torque converter issue at 8500 miles. For the past 4,000 miles I was running the Diablo can tune with AFM off and tire size corrected. Nothing aggressive and this tune did not effect the 8 speed TCM whatsoever. I experienced the shudder with and without the tune. I set it back to stock to test it out, no change. I brought it in the other week and took a ride with a tech, he immediately noticed it. They performed PIP 5337C, put in a new converter and new fluids. I have only done about 500 miles since, but the problem is gone. I am going to put back in my diablo tune this weekend.

I do not think a tune and this converter issue have any connection

Thanks. I just put the truck back to stock tune and tested for 20 miles highway - same thing is happening. So I guess it's a consistence this just started happening at the same time I tuned.

I'm going to take to dealer, I hope to God they don't find I have been jacking with software.

Thanks. I just put the truck back to stock tune and tested for 20 miles highway - same thing is happening. So I guess it's a consistence this just started happening at the same time I tuned.

I'm going to take to dealer, I hope to God they don't find I have been jacking with software.

keep us updated and good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

note to everybody

Beat on your truck before you get a tune

I also had a problem post tune that had nothing to do with the tune.

The tune makes the truck so much more fun that I think when you start getting on it any problems you might have or problems that are inevitable in the future, will show itself quickly from increased temps and stress.

UPDATE:

We'll now I'm really confused.. truck is running normal now... here is a recap of the last few days. All flat highway driving.

1. Yesterday - took truck for 100 mile highway trip - first time I really got to drive it since the tune. About 30 min into the trip, there was a slow area 60-65 speed limit posted.. so I slowed down and that is when I started to notice the RPM Fluctuation and shuttering started. It would do it like clockwork under 70 mph. Exactly has described in the TC Recall link .
  2. This morning - I drive another 30 miles highway truck was doing the same thing. So I pull over and re flash the truck to the stock tune. Drive another 30 miles highway and the truck is still having the same issue. Now I start to really think the issue has to do with the TC recall.
  3. This evening - Drive back home 100 miles all highway. Truck is still running the stock tune and it's running perfect, no shutter or RPM bounce. I figured I would give it some time to let the Trans temp warm up to 170 or so. 45 min of driving... still fine. So I pull over and re load the the modified tune back. 35 more miles of highway with the modified tune (both ECM and TCM) and the truck is fine.

I have no idea.. what are your thoughts?

Stock 2015 6.2/8spd 15k miles here. Same exact problems you are stating.

Took it to my dealer and of course the shuttering stopped when I took it in (still have rpms fluctuate below 2k). They passed if off as "no code, no problem". So I'm seeking a good dealer to diagnose it.

Results are in! Drumroll.......

Need a new torque converter. Went to a different dealer 30 mikes away. They diagnosed my truck in about 20 minutes. They said this is #4 in the last year or so.

I'm just happy I found a dealer that cares and did the work. Problem now is it may take a week to get parts in and I move to Georgia in two weeks. So I might have to find yet another dealer to do the work. At least it is diagnosed and recorded.

Archived