Scratched Rims

I had new Cooper Discover AT/W's installed today at a local tire shop and when i picked up the truck, i noticed that 3 of the 4 alloy rims are scratched around the perimeter from the tire changer.

I told the owner and he came out with some polish and tried to get them out but alot of it is too deep. I told him this is a fairly new truck and didn't appreciate getting my rims gouged. He said he will call a body shop and do some research and call me tomorrow to have them fixed.

Anyone with experience with this? what would get the scratches out? Poor workmanship drives me crazy. They were just rushing and didn't make sure the changer was off the rim.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would push for him to replace the rims with new ones. If he doesn't seem like that is an option, make sure he knows you will take it to the BBB and leave bad reviews all over the web about his business and other places. He might not care, but some take reviews and word of mouth seriously. Best of luck getting the situation fixed.

First of all sorry this happen to you. This happened to one of my cars. To get the gouges out they need to dismount all the tires from the affected rims. Then sand down the rims get it all smooth again and re-clear them.

This is costly to get it done right. Make sure you take a lot of pictures and get something in writing. Unless they are super honest its going to had to get a tire place to perform this work.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was pretty disgusted when I checked the rims. I'll take some pictures tonight. Some people wouldn't notice or care, I bet he was hoping that i was one of those guys.

I figured a wet sand and clear is the ultimate solution but i know he'll fight that for a $50 tire change.

I would push for him to replace the rims with new ones. If he doesn't seem like that is an option, make sure he knows you will take it to the BBB and leave bad reviews all over the web about his business and other places. He might not care, but some take reviews and word of mouth seriously. Best of luck getting the situation fixed.

Way to go straight for the jugular! Make the company owner spend $1,500 on a new set of factory wheels for you, then never go back, and then go write a nasty review. You keyboard hero's sound tough sitting behind your monitor.

Back to reality and being a decent human being; the tire guy prolly didnt know better, or made a mistake. And he's prolly only making $9/hr.

Refinishing wheels is common practice. Now if your wheels are chrome, you got a problem on your hands. You can't simply buff them out. I've seen gouged up HRE's refinished and you never would have known it.

Way to go straight for the jugular! Make the company owner spend $1,500 on a new set of factory wheels for you, then never go back, and then go write a nasty review. You keyboard hero's sound tough sitting behind your monitor.

Back to reality and being a decent human being; the tire guy prolly didnt know better, or made a mistake. And he's prolly only making $9/hr.

Refinishing wheels is common practice. Now if your wheels are chrome, you got a problem on your hands. You can't simply buff them out. I've seen gouged up HRE's refinished and you never would have known it.

That's not what I was saying. I was saying ask him to make it right and replace it. If he agrees then no reason to leave a negative review. If he doesn't that's when you would get nasty. At least I wouldn't be happy about someone messing up my wheels and not doing anything to fix the problem. Maybe you are okay with shops messing up your sh$t just not for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not what I was saying. I was saying ask him to make it right and replace it. If he agrees then no reason to leave a negative review. If he doesn't that's when you would get nasty. At least I wouldn't be happy about someone messing up my wheels and not doing anything to fix the problem. Maybe you are okay with shops messing up your sh$t just not for me. Different strokes for different folks.

He said in the original post that the owner was going to do some research and call him back! He never mentioned he was getting screwed over, at all. But you're ready to start threatening the guy behind your iPhone.

You sound ridiculous talking about "maybe you are okay with shops messing up your sh $t just not for me"

He said in the original post that the owner was going to do some research and call him back! He never mentioned he was getting screwed over, at all. But you're ready to start threatening the guy behind your iPhone.

You sound ridiculous talking about "maybe you are okay with shops messing up your sh $t just not for me"

My bad.

Anyways, to the OP, I hope you get it all worked out.

I had a similar experience, they gouged my wheel pretty bad when patching my tire. The dude is like "oh yeah ill get this out with aluminum polish" im thinking to myself bull s i can feel it with my finger nail. Anyway i let the guy do his thing. He gave up after a minute or so and sent the wheel out to be refinished.

So it's acceptable to you to have wheels destroyed on a brand new 50k truck? Not my problem the tire jockey is an idiot, hire competent staff next time, and yes if the wheels need anything other than buffing push for new wheels. Let the shop owner use the damaged ones as coffee tables.

I had a shop mangle 1 of the wheels on my 2009 G8 GXP, the wheels were 19" and forged aluminum. Cost was $1500 each for the wheels from GM, shop said they could send it out and have it repaired. I let them do that. Got the wheel back and it was such a piss poor job, the wheel had so much clear coat on it that it wouldn't go back on over the hub. The clear was horrible on the entire wheel.

The shop agreed and offered to buy a new wheel, I offered to get it at my cost and save them $500 dollars. New wheel got shipped in and was damaged in transit, so they had to have the dealer order another wheel.

Case in point they can be fixed, just make sure the wheels match and look good. Otherwise I would push for new wheels.

Each employee working for their employer represents the employer, so hang that argument of the wages, jog description, training or competency, it does not amount to anything other than that man's rims were damaged end of story period!

Secondly re-read and understand what the post you quoted stated, if the store owner did not make it right then contact BBB leaving bad reviews with them and various other sites. Not take new rims, run, badmouth etc. as you stated above

Third before you accuse someone else, I am not a keyboard hero and you have an open invitation to test it if you wish.

I don't want to give it to the guy. I just wanted my truck back the way i sent it in for a very simple service, changing 4 tires. The scratches aren't really bad, i've seen worse, but they are scratched. The worst part is they did 3 of the 4. If it was just one and they told me about it, I could understand. Who continues to wreck 3 rims and not tell me? I'm glad I looked.

I can't figure out how to upload photos. Any tips?

Archived