4.3 vs 5.3

Isn't my idea. Goes back about as long as power plants have been moving machines. Oh, and Brian, that LT1 isn't the motor in the current K2's. Just say'n.

Yes it isn't a new concept and it has limited value when comparing vehicles. My point was that drawing conclusions such as, "adding 840 pounds to any ride will make it a slug" is not reasonable based on this formula. I drive a CC 4X4 standard box with the 4.3 and I do not find it "sluggish" in any regard. However if this formula proves that it is rated as a slug then the Duramax CC according to this measure is even more of a slug!

Yes it isn't a new concept and it has limited value when comparing vehicles. My point was that drawing conclusions such as, "adding 840 pounds to any ride will make it a slug" is not reasonable based on this formula. I drive a CC 4X4 standard box with the 4.3 and I do not find it "sluggish" in any regard. However if this formula proves that it is rated as a slug then the Duramax CC according to this measure is even more of a slug!

Power to weight ratio has the single largest influence on performance. Goes back to Mr. Newton’s second law of motion. Force = Mass X Acceleration. Power is Force and Mass is weight. Acceleration is the result.

So yes it is the proper tool and yes, in and of itself it is absolutely error free. The catch is always the “in and off itself”. The rule of law is constant but humans muck it up all the time.

True story. I built a 400 hp 4200 lb car that I raced about thirty years ago and I took allot of money from guys with 500 hp 3500 lb cars. Mr. Newton gave them every advantage based on power to weight. But these people mucked it up. Could not drive and could not keep it hooked up. Too much gear. Too heavy on the flywheel. Too little tire. No suspension work. As Ron White says…”ya can’t fix stupid”. Thank you very much for the hundy.

There is also the abstract and subjective ‘feel’ thing. I owned and 64 Malibu SS that would not clear its own shadow. But it sounded powerful and thus felt powerful. 283 one barrel Carter with a Powerglide and a 2.73 open 10 bolt diff. Stone puke. 165 hp I think. But it also had some sweet Headman headers and matching Cherry bomb glass packs than made her sound like she was doing a hundred at twenty five. It was purdy and the girls like it so….

Lastly there is the point of reference thing. If you’ve been driving a 1958 36 HP VW Beetle for a decade even a bicycle feels pretty spunky.

Point is….there is objective and subjective. What it is and what it feels like. If it feels perky to ya. Great. Subjective analysis, check.

If the argument is about the objective physics? Argue that one with Mr. Isaac Newton. I don’t that sort of thing anymore. Retired.

BTW, add 840 lbs. to a setup and it is indeed a slug in comparison. I stand by it. Thank you Isaac.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

Power to weight ratio has the single largest influence on performance. Goes back to Mr. Newton’s second law of motion. Force = Mass X Acceleration. Power is Force and Mass is weight. Acceleration is the result.

So yes it is the proper tool and yes, in and of itself it is absolutely error free. The catch is always the “in and off itself”. The rule of law is constant but humans muck it up all the time.

True story. I built a 400 hp 4200 lb car that I raced about thirty years ago and I took allot of money from guys with 500 hp 3500 lb cars. Mr. Newton gave them every advantage based on power to weight. But these people mucked it up. Could not drive and could not keep it hooked up. Too much gear. Too heavy on the flywheel. Too little tire. No suspension work. As Ron White says…”ya can’t fix stupid”. Thank you very much for the hundy.

There is also the abstract and subjective ‘feel’ thing. I owned and 64 Malibu SS that would not clear its own shadow. But it sounded powerful and thus felt powerful. 283 one barrel Carter with a Powerglide and a 2.73 open 10 bolt diff. Stone puke. 165 hp I think. But it also had some sweet Headman headers and matching Cherry bomb glass packs than made her sound like she was doing a hundred at twenty five. It was purdy and the girls like it so….

Lastly there is the point of reference thing. If you’ve been driving a 1958 36 HP VW Beetle for a decade even a bicycle feels pretty spunky.

Point is….there is objective and subjective. What it is and what it feels like. If it feels perky to ya. Great. Subjective analysis, check.

If the argument is about the objective physics? Argue that one with Mr. Isaac Newton. I don’t that sort of thing anymore. Retired.

BTW, add 840 lbs. to a setup and it is indeed a slug in comparison. I stand by it. Thank you Isaac.

I sense by the lecture/font size I have upset you and for this I apologize. Judging by your references to 50's and 60's vehicles we may have similar experiences but have developed different jargon. I find that referring to a vehicle as a slug (especially mine) very negative. Your initial argument suggests that a truck like mine based on "objective" rationale is a slug. I am simply clarifying that the term slug as used here is even more applicable to a 397 hp Duramax. Maybe this is a term like "sick" which has positive and negative interpretations.

Edited by Donstar

If 0-60 or 1/4 mile is your guadge, past experience from my amateur drag racing days was your results may vary. Example my 94 Z28 according to hot rod mag was 14.7 mine did 13.5. My 94 impala ss was 15 according to hot rod mine did 15.50. I wasn't happy with that one.

I sense by the lecture/font size I have upset you and for this I apologize. Judging by your references to 50's and 60's vehicles we may have similar experiences but have developed different jargon. I find that referring to a vehicle as a slug (especially mine) very negative. Your initial argument suggests that a truck like mine based on "objective" rationale is a slug. I am simply clarifying that the term slug as used here is even more applicable to a 397 hp Duramax. Maybe this is a term like "sick" which has positive and negative interpretations.

No no, not upset at all. I write large because I see poorly. LOL. I write and think as I do. Length is the result. If I ever did get upset it wouldn't be in front of a crowd. I do that one on one. No worries.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

If 0-60 or 1/4 mile is your guadge, past experience from my amateur drag racing days was your results may vary. Example my 94 Z28 according to hot rod mag was 14.7 mine did 13.5. My 94 impala ss was 15 according to hot rod mine did 15.50. I wasn't happy with that one.

Absolutely. Different driver. Different track. Different day and the list continues. It's just these sorts of real world things that convince us of our opinions. Thing is, the laws of nature are not opinions. Good thing too. If gravity, for instance, had a different value or worked independently of law this world would be a real funny place.

• Like 1

This seems reasonable.

Is there any reason to think only the 5.3 might be faster than the Car and Driver tests though? The 4.3 might also be faster as well, the ratio of power to weight is certainly the same.

This seems reasonable.

Is there any reason to think only the 5.3 might be faster than the Car and Driver tests though? The 4.3 might also be faster as well, the ratio of power to weight is certainly the same.

Of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course.

Given that we all drive on streets where speed is regulated, I'd say 0-60 is about all that matters on performance.

7.3 seconds for the 5.3 vs 8 seconds for the 4.3 (both on regular gas) would seem a pretty irrelevant difference to me.

Given that we all drive on streets where speed is regulated, I'd say 0-60 is about all that matters on performance.

7.3 seconds for the 5.3 vs 8 seconds for the 4.3 (both on regular gas) would seem a pretty irrelevant difference to me.

If I was buying a p/u for personal use I get the single cab and put a 373 rear in it and be a happy camper with the 4.3. on E85.

• Like 1

Rawr, rawr, rawr, 5.3, rawr!

I've got a Airaid MIT tube, only mod on my engine, looking for a 6.2 with the same to race...

No offense, but you should hope you don't find any 6.2s to race, even stock. 4.3s aren't going to beat 5.3s, and 5.3s won't beat 6.2s.

The stock air filter is pretty high air flow already, but you might have a chance on 100% E85!

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f22/lingenfelter-tests-e85-through-new-silverado-119387/

I haven't tried E85 on my 5.3 as yet, but it was definitely noticeable in the 2014 4.3 I had. I wonder if the dealer had E85 in it on the lot when I test drove the 4.3 and that would make a lot of sense. I drove to the dealer in a 5.3l with 315hp/330ft lbs torque. I test drove a 4.3l that would have had 297hp and 330 ft lbs torque on E85, and would have been totally indiscernible from my 2010 5.3l.

Would be a pretty crafty sales tactic for the dealer, so I'm inclined to think they would be smart enough to figure this out.

I love the little 4.3 engine it is much more practical than the larger engines being pushed on people. I would like to get one and lock it into 4 cyl mode permanently and get a Sierra Club sticker on the tailgate keep it green brother...

I love the little 4.3 engine it is much more practical than the larger engines being pushed on people. I would like to get one and lock it into 4 cyl mode permanently and get a Sierra Club sticker on the tailgate keep it green brother...

April Fools! Interesting thought about the 4 cyl mode. It would be great if you could manually switch this feature on and off.