Front bumper air dam

Anybody else have a love/hate feeling with the front air dam? You know i get it, it has a purpose for airflow or aerodynamics or whatever but my god i feel like i'm going to leave it behind going up an incline or on a uneven dirtroad. I've kind of done some mild experimenting with it and clearance and it seems like they designed it close enough to the front wheels to maintain clearance..has anybody just taken theres off? Post pics if your rolling without it. My thing is i'm afraid i'm going to take it offroad and its going to get ****ed up and take the bumper alignment with it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look strange to me with it off because of how the steel bumper is shaped in the center. If you want to fill the void, Boss Snowplows has a filler piece they offer for their snowplows that has a front plate bracket frame on it.

The Boss filler piece: http://www.mc-te.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/s/msc09279-3_cat.jpg

Pic of my friend's 15:

IMG_9070_zpsikrxeram.jpg

IMG_9069_zpsbmi51fkm.jpg

I haven't messed with mine. I am frequently off road on the property and have never found it to be an issue. Yeah, it can be argued that looks leave a lot to be desired. If it was all about looks, I would just get rid of the front bumper and put on something that not only looked better, but was actually more effective. Something that could run into a deer on the road and throw it to the side with no damage to the pickup.

Something like this, which I have considered.......

post-122677-0-05673500-1486912197_thumb.jpg

I tore the air dam off my 2000 GMC 2500 when working on our woodlot. I don't know if GM does it on purpose or what. Look @ the GMT900 Sierra looks like w/o the airdam:

http://hitechcarparts.com/image/data/parts/GM/combos/CBGM04_07-13_sierra_bumper_valance_spoiler_combo.jpg

At least the 2016 & earlier Super Duty has a "clean" & simple bumper/air dam design. Removing the air dam doesn't detract from the appearnce of the truck.

I remember years ago reading an article about a new GM pickup in 4 Wheel & Offroad. They noted that the lowest part of the front bumper was below the centreline of the front axle.

I may have to look into the Boss part.

Mine was removed for the plow frame....went with a Boss plow and one of the main reasons was the insert they offered. I don't miss the air damn....truck looks fine without it.

Can you post a pic of it?

Archived