Driver Assist Handle

I'm sure many of you have swapped this pillar piece to the assist handle. What's involved and is there anything to be aware of from an airbag point of view? Anyone experience issues with an annoying rattling coming from this new piece once installed? I always worry about that when removing trim pieces.

Thanks!

I see that there is a black tether; how does this get unclipped? I see lots of posts where people cut it but I hear it can be properly removed?

Nevermind, I just popped mine off and it's super easy to do. One of those things I was expecting the worst but it's actually very easy. Hopefully the new one pops on just as easily.

Edited by SilveradoSaver

It was just a Christmas tree type clip if I remember correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.

I just went into my truck and popped it off and it was super easy.

I found this post (post #323 to be accurate) that was very helpful for anyone else who may be interested: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158271-interior-driver-assist-handle/page-22#entry1685729

I'm sure it is a simple process to un-clip the tether, but it stumped me while I was installing my assist handle! I cut mine. It will not be needed unless I plan to use the old trim piece again! This assist handle will stay on this truck and I'll buy a new one for my next truck! A question I have related to this modification is does anyone know how these assist handles react when/if the side airbags are deployed? The tether keeps the trim piece from hitting the driver but I wonder if the bolted in grab handle interferes with the airbag doing its job properly.

I'm sure it is a simple process to un-clip the tether, but it stumped me while I was installing my assist handle! I cut mine. It will not be needed unless I plan to use the old trim piece again! This assist handle will stay on this truck and I'll buy a new one for my next truck! A question I have related to this modification is does anyone know how these assist handles react when/if the side airbags are deployed? The tether keeps the trim piece from hitting the driver but I wonder if the bolted in grab handle interferes with the airbag doing its job properly.

What was the issue when installing your new assist handle and that tether? Did you clip it back into itself like the post I linked to above mentions?

I would assume that it would still function properly if the air bag deploys. I don't think GM would put the mounting spots for this accessory if it interfered with the air bag deployment.

Edited by SilveradoSaver

What was the issue when installing your new assist handle and that tether? Did you clip it back into itself like the post I linked to above mentions?

I would assume that it would still function properly if the air bag deploys. I don't think GM would put the mounting spots for this accessory if it interfered with the air bag deployment.

The handle trim doesn't have a tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The trim piece has the tether so it doesn't hit you in the face if the bag goes off. The handle doesn't need it since it's held in with bolts instead. I'd hope/pray they wouldn't release it without ensuring the airbag still functions.

Sent from my kayak

The trim piece has the tether so it doesn't hit you in the face if the bag goes off. The handle doesn't need it since it's held in with bolts instead. I'd hope/pray they wouldn't release it without ensuring the airbag still functions.

Sent from my kayak

I feel like that would be a huge design flaw if that were the case. In the end, I hope I never have to find out either way :)

I see what you mean about the air bag but the 2500s come with the handle from factory. since the body's are almost identical I assume this was already thought of.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by rully1012