Tackling Factory Controls or: How I learned to stop worrying and love

Hey people, you might have stumbled across some of my other stuff in the realm of retrofits, or perhaps the main topic of this video, getting the factory heated/cooled switches to work without requiring BCM programming (AKA, Cheap). Well, I threw together a video talking about the LIN bus which is used on our trucks and the basics of how it works. Let me know if you like this and I will keep making videos talking about these subjects and as always feel free to ask questions, and it doesn't have to be about this. If you have questions about other systems on our trucks that haven't been asked before let me know and I will dig in to try and find the answers. There isn't much I am not willing to do on these things. So enjoy and forgive the part where the camera falls or where my dogs decide to play in the background! If you like this let me know and I will kick some more out in the near future!

Thanks,

Kyle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28pi-P65Qwg

Looks like it cut off my title. A little Dr. Strangelove reference.

Edited by Darth_Vader
  • Like 9

I joined this forum to learn about what I can and can't do to my truck. It is guys like you that I enjoy following for the wealth of information you share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

LIN Bus, MOST Bus... all new protocols for me for sure. I enjoy reading, watching and learning the stuff from this forum.

• Like 1

good work darth, i have been working on this type of project my self, might be the cheap controller i have but so far i can only get full heat or no heat for the seats using factory switches. lol i will keep watching your post and maybe i might fiqure this out. many thx to your hard work

good work darth, i have been working on this type of project my self, might be the cheap controller i have but so far i can only get full heat or no heat for the seats using factory switches. lol i will keep watching your post and maybe i might fiqure this out. many thx to your hard work

I'll have a video later today talking about this specifically.

@Darth_Vader - I finally watched the entire video after getting interrupted 4 times. Was there an action for me? LOL. I heard you say "Phil" and wasn't sure if that was meant for me.

If so, let me know what you need from me and would be glad to provide you the info needed.

@Darth_Vader - I finally watched the entire video after getting interrupted 4 times. Was there an action for me? LOL. I heard you say "Phil" and wasn't sure if that was meant for me.

If so, let me know what you need from me and would be glad to provide you the info needed.

Yep! Can you measure the resistance of the factory seat heater elements for me? No hurry or anything, just don't have any to see what kind of resistance they have.

• Like 1

Hey everyone, part 3 is up and we have heat! Sort of, lol, heat on my kitchen table. But that being said, I have ordered the elements for the passenger seat, if I have time next weekend I plan on tossing them in the truck and heating the stock seats up using the factory switches. At this point and time the control for the driver side heated seats are 100% complete. Once that is beaten I will start turning towards the cooled seats and possibly talking about putting out a heated seats only retrofit kit if there is interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69FibPjjK_U

• Like 4

@Darth_Vader - I enjoy coming back to this thread and the continued learning I get from it. Thanks! All of my work has been simply adding missing circuits to a harness [emoji51]. This is Engineering at its best. :).

Edited by pgamboa
  • Like 2