Interior dome lights won't turn off!

I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 1500 extended cab. NBS Also have a build thread!

I have been chasing a problem with my interior dome lights not wanting to shut off for a couple years now!

Its not the dimmer switch turned to full on! I use the dome override and have just lived with no dome lights for the time being!

I really doubt it's my body control module going bad as everything else functions properly, I.e. key in ignition chime when door is open.

I am hoping someone​ can point me in the right direction with my multimeter to hunt down the cause!

I'm not 100% familiar with what all this truck uses to trigger the dome lights I.E. if it has door ajar modules and there location. The lights also do not shut off after 20 mins, I think I read somewhere they are supposed to do that.

This is the model that the dome override switch does not shut off the automatic headlights if that makes a difference in wiring schematics if someone can find some for me![emoji2] I found a schematic on AutoZone of all places but am not sure it is correct for my model year since I have a half breed year truck!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I own a 1999 Silverado 1500 and have had a similar issue. I'll say this, my security light would continue to blink even when the doors were shut. I replace the door actuator. After disconnecting plugs and looking at schematics I used a jumper to test my theory if it was the problem. Went and got a used one and presto, security light stays off, courtesy lights go off and on like they should. It's worth a shot to try. Mine ended up being the driver side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I own a 1999 Silverado 1500 and have had a similar issue. I'll say this, my security light would continue to blink even when the doors were shut. I replace the door actuator. After disconnecting plugs and looking at schematics I used a jumper to test my theory if it was the problem. Went and got a used one and presto, security light stays off, courtesy lights go off and on like they should. It's worth a shot to try. Mine ended up being the driver side.

Security light goes off when doors are shut. I actually made a build thread for my truck! After I get done doing some cosmetic repairs I'm going to get into fixing this, only time I miss my courtesy lights is when its dark and I'm grabbing something from the passenger side and I have to walk around to shutoff the override. Then walk back to passenger side, grab item, and walk back again to driver side to turn on override.

Kind of a PITA but manageable. I also just discovered my third brake light is not working, but the cargo light operates fine, but that is a separate issue. Also keyless entry door locks do not lock anymore, but they will unlock, I think they are just tired from old age and I found that I have to buy the whole latch assembly to fix them, maybe​ this will also fix my courtesy light issue as well, but it's probably not that easy. Never is!

In case that gets confusing, I meant that the security light only blinks when doors are open, and it does not blink when doors are closed, also alarm operates perfectly, so I think it is a separate issue in the form of an exposed wire that is grounding the circuit to keep lights on constantly, so I need a circuit diagram to find all the wires and trace them for bad spots

Hmm, that tells me the door actuators and the components do work then. Since the security light stops blinking when doors are shut. It could be a wire issue. Another 1999 Chevrolet I use to own I had an issue where a power wire for the window controls broke somewhere in the harness. I'll try to look at my schematics and pin outs to see if I can help you out!

• 4 years later...

Please please please tell me you figured out how to fix this? I am having the same issue but whenever I press dome over ride they won't even turn off.

I have some thoughts on what my issue is but I want to see if you figured it out first.

• 2 months later...