I know, I know ...

There are a million topics started about tires. I've looked and I can't find anything posing the question that I have.

So I bought a set of 33x12.5R20 Cooper STT Pro tires, used from one of my buddies. On his stock rims, they only scrubbed a little at full cut when backing up. He has a 2" RC level on a '16 Sierra Elevation. Now that I have them on my truck, they scrub at full cut in every direction on both sides, and are rubbing off of both the sway bar and the upper control arm. So much so that they've rubbed the paint off. I have a 2.5" RC level on a '16 Silverado Custom (same truck, same trim essentially). I don't understand why they're scrubbing so much worse on mine. Does anyone have any insight?

post-163698-0-57897900-1495728196_thumb.jpg

Use the Zip-tie trick. I have 285 ko2s on 2" and no rub. Buddy has same truck 2" with 305/55 ko2s with no rub. I think they're all a little different but can pull it off with AT's over MTs -especially with 2.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar situation but just with one tire. Could you explain the "zip-tie trick"? Do I just drill a little hole in the plastic wheel well?

I should say that my truck is a '10, so I'm assuming the wheel well dimensions are different for the newer models.

Thanks

Use the Zip-tie trick. I have 285 ko2s on 2" and no rub. Buddy has same truck 2" with 305/55 ko2s with no rub. I think they're all a little different but can pull it off with AT's over MTs -especially with 2.5

What's this zip-tie trick? If you're talking about zip tying something back, I don't see how that will stop the tires from scrubbing on my UCA or sway bar.

What's this zip-tie trick? If you're talking about zip tying something back, I don't see how that will stop the tires from scrubbing on my UCA or sway bar.

You're right about that - only for fender rub.

There are a million topics started about tires. I've looked and I can't find anything posing the question that I have.

So I bought a set of 33x12.5R20 Cooper STT Pro tires, used from one of my buddies. On his stock rims, they only scrubbed a little at full cut when backing up. He has a 2" RC level on a '16 Sierra Elevation. Now that I have them on my truck, they scrub at full cut in every direction on both sides, and are rubbing off of both the sway bar and the upper control arm. So much so that they've rubbed the paint off. I have a 2.5" RC level on a '16 Silverado Custom (same truck, same trim essentially). I don't understand why they're scrubbing so much worse on mine. Does anyone have any insight?

image1.JPG

What is the wheel offset?

Is his wheel offset different than yours?

Do you have stamped steel, aluminum, or cast UCAs? Which ones does he have?

I'm betting the problem lies in one of those areas. It seems like folks with the stamped steel UCAs are more likely to rub, all other things being equal.

It seems like folks with the stamped steel UCAs are more likely to rub, all other things being equal.

This 100%

Is his wheel offset different than yours?

Do you have stamped steel, aluminum, or cast UCAs? Which ones does he have?

I'm betting the problem lies in one of those areas. It seems like folks with the stamped steel UCAs are more likely to rub, all other things being equal.

Wheel offset is the same, both have stock rims.

My UCAs are black and a magnet sticks, so steel it is. Not sure on his.

Wheel offset is the same, both have stock rims.

My UCAs are black and a magnet sticks, so steel it is. Not sure on his.

Are they the same stock rims (I'm not familiar with the wheels on those two trims). Not all stock rims styles have the same offset.

I would bet yours have the stamped steel seem (see wildchevy's pic). There's definitely a difference between the stamped and cast steel, so the magnet alone isn't definitive.

They're different rims but the same offset. 20" on both trims are same offset.

Stamped steel it looks to be. Closest to that picture.

Archived