Clattering/Rattling Sound when accelerating...

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra. 6.2L w/ Max Trailering pckg. The issue I'm having is when the truck is under power while I'm towing something or while going up a hill, I can hear like a clattering or rattling sound coming from underneath the firewall area. Once the vehicle down shifts and gets to a higher RPM it stops. It almost sounds like the old "pinging" noise from bad gasoline in older vehicles. It's driving me insane! I have tried to do a video/audio while it's happening but it doesn't turn out with my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by rackaddict82

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra. 6.2L w/ Max Trailering pckg. The issue I'm having is when the truck is under power while I'm towing something or while going up a hill, I can hear like a clattering or rattling sound coming from underneath the firewall area. Once the vehicle down shifts and gets to a higher RPM it stops. It almost sounds like the old "pinging" noise from bad gasoline in older vehicles. It's driving me insane! I have tried to do a video/audio while it's happening but it doesn't turn out with my iPhone.

Fuel injector noise

Try higher octane fuel first IMO. :happysad:

Ok. Is it pretty common to run premium fuel in an every day driver? I don't have much money left after buying this truck! [emoji23][emoji389]

Thanks, is this noise normal? Or should I get it looked at?

Unfortunately normal is the answer you'll get from GM and the dealer. Injector noise in direct injected engines is higher, and for whatever reason seems to penetrate the cabin to the left of the steering wheel towards knee level.

Can be tough to distinguish pinging from operating noise. Higher octane will only solve pinging noise.

Edited by Bushleaguechew

That is called detonation. It is BAD. The 6.2 is a 11.5 to 1 compression engine. Anything but premium fuel is asking fo trouble. You seriously can't afford an extra few bucks every fill up? And you don't think your 50,000 dollar truck is worthy of 91/93 fuel?

YOU FINE SIR DO NOT DESERVE THE HONOR OF OWNING A 6.2 !!!!!

?

Well shoot rackaddict82 run a few tanks of 93 octane and see if the noise goes away to test the "Infidels" theory. I never ran anything but 93 octane in my 16 for over 19,000 miles and plan on doing the same for this 17 for however many miles I keep it. No strange detonation noises except one time when I had a hand held programmer on it. I of course removed the tune immediately. Are you using a tuner/programmer?

Oh and what kind of user name is rackaddict?

Some people might get the wrong idea there!!!!

busty-babes-flbp-26.jpg?w=500&h=375

Well shoot rackaddict82 run a few tanks of 93 octane and see if the noise goes away to test the "Infidels" theory. I never ran anything but 93 octane in my 16 for over 19,000 miles and plan on doing the same for this 17 for however many miles I keep it. No strange detonation noises except one time when I had a hand held programmer on it. I of course removed the tune immediately. Are you using a tuner/programmer?

I have the same truck, same set-up. My truck made the same noise when I picked it up from the dealer. I figured they gave me 50$ of reg gas.... yep. Topped up the tank with 93 it got better instantly. Next fill -100%. I don't always get a chance to put 93 but no pinging with 91 Octane. It's a 6.2 lt. giver what she needs. Fyi - you'll likely get better gas mileage. Just FYI - I kicked a 5.0lt 2017 Ford last weekend and I was pulling a heavier boat. He put $60 regular and my 6.2 took $46 same distance.... he didn't talk much about his Ford rest of the weeken!!! I'm Actually impressed with the gas mileage for a 6.2. and It never stressed me out when I bought it.

Who buys / drives a new truck and then comments they can't afford the gas...??? Sorry had to be said.

Edited by jbgrizzler
  • Like 1

That is called detonation. It is BAD. The 6.2 is a 11.5 to 1 compression engine. Anything but premium fuel is asking fo trouble. You seriously can't afford an extra few bucks every fill up? And you don't think your 50,000 dollar truck is worthy of 91/93 fuel?

YOU FINE SIR DO NOT DESERVE THE HONOR OF OWNING A 6.2 !!!!!

[emoji13]

Thanks for the info! Yeah I'm totally kidding about the extra cost of fuel. Lol! I put in a fresh tank of 93 last evening. [emoji6]

I have the same truck, same set-up. My truck made the same noise when I picked it up from the dealer. I figured they gave me 50$ of reg gas.... yep. Topped up the tank with 93 it got better instantly. Next fill -100%. I don't always get a chance to put 93 but no pinging with 91 Octane. It's a 6.2 lt. giver what she needs. Fyi - you'll likely get better gas mileage. Just FYI - I kicked a 5.0lt 2017 Ford last weekend and I was pulling a heavier boat. He put $60 regular and my 6.2 took $46 same distance.... he didn't talk much about his Ford rest of the weeken!!! I'm Actually impressed with the gas mileage for a 6.2. and It never stressed me out when I bought it.

Who buys / drives a new truck and then comments they can't afford the gas...??? Sorry had to be said.

I was totally kidding about the cost of the gas. (Hence the [emoji23] emoji) No worries, we're all friends here!

Yep I put 28 gallons of 93 in it last evening.

I'm sorry if my user name offends anyone, (not really though) hahahahahahaha. I'm a Whitetail fanatic and I am obsessed/addicted to antlers/"racks". Here's a rack I chased for three years before I was able to harvest him this fall. 2573333c9b9383b894e4a94b2f18b601.jpg I also love to look for shed deer antlers every spring as well. It's a passion, obsession, and an addiction!

• Like 1

I was totally kidding about the cost of the gas. (Hence the [emoji23] emoji) No worries, we're all friends here!

Let us know how you make out once you throw some premium in her. Cheers.

Let us know how you make out once you throw some premium in her. Cheers.

Will do![emoji1360]