Future Full Size Van Plans?

Is there any plans in the near future for a new full size? The current 'G' van (if that's the correct label) is over 20 years old. They didn't run the '73 to '87 C/K truck that long untouched. I know there is the 'rebranded' small Nissan van available which I've seen a few.

Anecdotally, I haven't really noticed many new G vans (not that they are readily identifiable), but have seen a lot of the large vans offered by other makes.

They made some changes 15' or 16'. They now use the same keys as the new Silverado (side cut high security). They have the 2.8 baby Duramax in them now as an option. Couple tweaks to the dash, you can do a spray in bedliner option for the entire floor in back. I think the new 4.3 from the 1500 trucks is available but not in the states. Might be a Mexico only deal.

They sell in strong numbers still, and have seen a decent uptick in sales the past two-three years so why change what works I think is their mentality right now.

Also on an interesting note, the GM twins are the only one that can tow up to 10,000lbs. The baby Dmax is good for 6300-7400lbs, the 4.8 is good for 8200-8900lbs and all 6.0 versions are good for 10,000lbs.

The Ford Transit is in the 2900-7500lbs range (depending on how its equipped) and the Ram Promaster is good for 5100lbs max.

I was thinking GM would eventually bring over the Opel Movano, but that seems unlikely now. But, with Savanna/Express sales holding strong, maybe all GM needs to do is offer a raised roof option and call it a day.

Archived