Light bar in bumper opening

I'm thinking of adding some LED light bars to my HD. Easiest location is in the bumper opening in front of the tranny or oil cooler (whichever it is). Will there be any issue due to partially blocking the opening limiting airflow to the cooler? I see a lot of trucks with lights in that location but here in Alaska we rarely run into problems with cooling. I'm moving south so will be operating in warmer climates.

My dealer told me putting anything in that opening will void the warranty if overheating occurs, however if I put a rock in there that causes damage to the cooler while driving it's not covered by the warranty because it's mechanical damage, so I put a grill in there to block any potential rock/debris damage to the cooler.

I have a grill in the opening now to protect the cooler. If I do the light will try to modify the grill, or make a new one, to cover the remaining open space. Several hundred dollars worth of lights should make a good rock stopper as well. ):

Wondering mostly about the effects on cooling.

shouldnt have an effect w the cooling aspect, i have seen this a lot down here and never heard of a problem resulting from it. what part of the south u moving to?

Out of curiosity, what did you use as a grill in front of the transmission cooler? I have seen products that can be purchased but wondered what you used.

Thanks,

I bought one from Mountains2metal but looking at their webpage now I don't see anything for Chevy, only Ford. It was very easy to install, used existing holes and I didn't have to remove the grill to install it.

shouldnt have an effect w the cooling aspect, i have seen this a lot down here and never heard of a problem resulting from it. what part of the south u moving to?

We're moving to NE Arkansas and at this moment it's 40 degrees warmer there than it is here. :)

We're moving to NE Arkansas and at this moment it's 40 degrees warmer there than it is here. :)

good luck w the move!! not sure if u like huntin ducks, but if so ur gonna be in the right place!

Did a bit of testing today regarding effect on tranny cooling with the bumper opening blocked. I cut a piece of cardboard at about the same size as two Rigid Industries 6" E Series LED bars and zip tied it to the grill I have in the opening. We ran the same route noting the tranny temps. With the opening not obstructed and running 65mph on the highway, outside temp 70F, tranny was showing 127-131, when in traffic moving slow is went up to 138. With the "cardboard lights" installed running 65 on the highway temp was 140-142 and when stuck in traffic it was 149-151. There seemed to be a more noticeable difference while stop and go in traffic.

Having lights in the opening is going to effect cooling. None of the temps I experienced today would be a problem but it wasn't very hot here (although 70 degrees in Alaska is HOT) and we're at sea level. Dragging a heavy load upgrade at higher elevations it might be different.

The E Series light is a two row LED, I might retest simulating an SR series light which is single row allowing more air through.

Did a bit of testing today regarding effect on tranny cooling with the bumper opening blocked. I cut a piece of cardboard at about the same size as two Rigid Industries 6" E Series LED bars and zip tied it to the grill I have in the opening. We ran the same route noting the tranny temps. With the opening not obstructed and running 65mph on the highway, outside temp 70F, tranny was showing 127-131, when in traffic moving slow is went up to 138. With the "cardboard lights" installed running 65 on the highway temp was 140-142 and when stuck in traffic it was 149-151. There seemed to be a more noticeable difference while stop and go in traffic.

Having lights in the opening is going to effect cooling. None of the temps I experienced today would be a problem but it wasn't very hot here (although 70 degrees in Alaska is HOT) and we're at sea level. Dragging a heavy load upgrade at higher elevations it might be different.

The E Series light is a two row LED, I might retest simulating an SR series light which is single row allowing more air through.

Thanks for doing this test. I'm really tempted since I don't have factory fogs, but concerned as summer temps in Mi can get up in the 90's and those are the months when I'm most likely to be towing and hauling

No problem Buckshot.

I'm thinking of adding some lights because of the gripes I've read about the stock headlights but I can't test the headlights myself this time of year with our 22 hours of daylight! :)

• 1 month later...

I just bought the Putco stainless grill to cover my opening and haven't install yet. It looks like it should not effect the air to trans cooler with the openings between bars. I pull a 36 ft. TT and will let ya'll know how it turns out.

Dale, I am further south in Little Rock a bit warmer than your destination and I tow every week all around here. Have not seen any change in my transmission temp since my bumper install about year ago. Have a safe trip north ark is a nice area.

post-90559-0-53349500-1501093107_thumb.jpg

Archived