Cleaned throttle body & MAF sensor

I bought my 2016 Silverado with 50 miles on it. I now have 43000. Mass air flow sensor didn't seem that dirty but it's hard to tell on those wires. But it 43,000 miles the throttle body was definitely dirty. As dirty as it was I'll probably clean it sooner next time. I am curious though I clean the throttle body without moving the butterfly because I heard on these butterfly valves you can mess him up by moving them off the truck. Anyone know if that's true because it would be a lot easier to clean if I could move that95e4e39a8e898fcac9116e217e048035.jpg5d0368bf69f28e67eb8a4a932367897f.jpgd49fca86161d30d8b9675506173b8b32.jpg74f323c6b2a66d81cd67f765249e0772.jpgbc75d1bc1ec3c6be40b1d509888d1374.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

About a 15 to 20 min project depending on your pace just a matter of unhooking the 2 hose on the breather and losing up the clamp from the breather unhooking the throttle body wire then 4 10mm bolts for the throttle body. I swap my 14 with the Jet throttle body and i liked it better than stock i traded my 14 in for a 17 back in feb but haven't gotten around in changing it yet.

Edited by Lance455

I moved mine to look inside and clean what was on the front and no issues. I should take it out like you and clean it but im going to get the Intake cleaning service done so maybe they will clean it during that. Im at 93k miles.

How hard is it to pull throttle body off? I need to do mine, the idle is a little shakey. Did it help yours?

Thanks,

Bob

It was a massive change for me. I have driven a couple days since and I shit you not it blows my mind the difference. It's also very easy just stop by AutoZone and pick up some throttle body cleaner. It smooth my idol out completely and the truck absolutely has more power. It is just for bolts just when you go to tighten it up don't crank it down cuz it's a plastic intake

• Like 1

I moved mine to look inside and clean what was on the front and no issues. I should take it out like you and clean it but im going to get the Intake cleaning service done so maybe they will clean it during that. Im at 93k miles.

It made such a difference on mine at 40000 miles I can't even imagine yours

• Like 1

I was about to take my truck in to have it serviced and I was even getting codes 4 rough idle cold start I had talked on the phone with the dealer and we were leaning towards an injector going bad. I decided to pull the throttle body in the mass air flow sensor off and clean both and wow no reason to go to the dealer. I was getting the P050D code everytime it cold started

• Like 1

If the area around the butterfly has a tacky dark substance around it do not mistake that for buildup/grime. Some vehicles come with a dry molybdenum coating there to help seal the throttle body for idle control. You can remove it and actually cause idle issues.

See how in the photo its pretty clean then theres a definite line where it looks dirty, that's likely dry moly film lube.

Edited by JRoyPDX
  • Like 1

If the area around the butterfly has a tacky dark substance around it do not mistake that for buildup/grime. Some vehicles come with a dry molybdenum coating there to help seal the throttle body for idle control. You can remove it and actually cause idle issues.

See how in the photo its pretty clean then theres a definite line where it looks dirty, that's likely dry moly film lube.

Well I had huge idle issues. In fact my truck was throwing the rough idle cold start on every startup. My black grime was exactly that... black grime. I cleaned it good and got my smooth idle back. In fact my truck pulls harder than I ever remember since the day I bought it. And I cleaned everything off of it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information here. I have 53000 on mine and was having noticed very rough idle while sitting at stop lights lately. Time to get some cleaner.

• Like 2

I'm going on vacation later this month so I want to maximize my mileage. Truck has 47k on it so i bought a can of TB cleaner. Cleaned my k&n and cleaned the MAF and took the throttle body off to clean it. It was surprisingly dirty. Took some scrubbing to get it nice and clean. We'll see later if it makes a difference.

• Like 1