Cleaned throttle body & MAF sensor

Trust me, stay away from MAFS cleaner. A temporary solution at best. If you don't let it dry fully it will cause the screen or sensing elements to actually attract contamination which is the primary cause of MAFS failure.

As for the ETB cleaning near the butterfly valves can help. Lots of times the OE units failure is due to the TPS as a lot of the OE units used a contact type sensor in the TPS. A main reason why a good aftermarket ETB will use a Hall effect type TPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

on my ford i'd clean that TB and MAF, .. makes a word of diff... it also looked like OP's TB... .. takes 15 mins.. .easy job, and the results speak for themselves... .. i have 21k on mine gmc now.... i'm going to take mine of this weekend and take a look. .it shouldn't be that bad.. but might touch it up anyway.

also my neighbor has 45 on his ford.. never new about cleaning that stuff.. .. he's new to the truck world.. so i'll throw him a bone and help a brotha out!.. lol

Edited by Crstfr

• 1 year later...

So i have a 2016 1500 silverado ltz 5.3. My truck been park lately it driving it like i use. Well while i was driving steadying going 60 mph i looked at the rpm gauge and say the needle went up a tick and came down....and keeps doing that between the 60 to 75 mph...they keep on telling me to clean my throttle....any suggests???

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So i have a 2016 1500 silverado ltz 5.3. My truck been park lately it driving it like i use. Well while i was driving steadying going 60 mph i looked at the rpm gauge and say the needle went up a tick and came down....and keeps doing that between the 60 to 75 mph...they keep on telling me to clean my throttle....any suggests???
This is also a symptom of transmission/torque converter problems. Does your truck shutter or shake? Some people describe it as a similar feeling to briefly driving on rumble strips.

Check out this thread, specifically post #6 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=33003&share_tid=216529&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egm-trucks%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F216529-16-NA-175-8-Speed-Shudder-UPDATE&share_type=t

This is also a symptom of transmission/torque converter problems. Does your truck shutter or shake? Some people describe it as a similar feeling to briefly driving on rumble strips. 
Check out this thread, specifically post #6 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=33003&share_tid=216529&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egm-trucks%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F216529-16-NA-175-8-Speed-Shudder-UPDATE&share_type=t

Yes at first it did everytime it the rmp went up it shake the sterling wheel and then stop when it went down and then shake when it went up...i took it with a guy at the dealership where i bought the truck. My mom knows him and see if he can check my truck with out paying the extra if i made a appointment. So he said that it needed a alignment and balanced. So i got it today and it stoped the shaking but the rmp still go up n down

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

been having drops in rpm when at a stop light, want to try cleaning TB before i start doing more research on what is causing it, but i’m a first timer how hard is to take it off the TB and what not to on the TB while cleaning it? 

Should i also clean my MAF sensor too while i’m at it and what could i use to clean that? 

The throttle body only has 4 fasteners holding it on so that is easy. Then unplug it of course. Just spray it down with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. I don't ever open the blade with my fingers. It shouldn't be caked with anything but it may just be dirty.

MAF sensors have a specific MAF cleaner you can buy, I only use that on expensive electric parts like this.

21 hours ago, CamGTP said:

The throttle body only has 4 fasteners holding it on so that is easy. Then unplug it of course. Just spray it down with brake cleaner or carb cleaner. I don't ever open the blade with my fingers. It shouldn't be caked with anything but it may just be dirty.

MAF sensors have a specific MAF cleaner you can buy, I only use that on expensive electric parts like this.

what would be best to clean it with toothbrush or a towel?  and what about parts around the blade how could i clean around there? Thanks again...

I guess see how bad it is. Half the time the cleaner will just remove it all. It's not often that you find throttle bodies on newer cars caked with junk because almost none run EGR systems that plumb back into the intake behind the throttle body. We just have to deal with carbon build up on the intake valves instead because of the direct injection fuel systems.

• Thanks 1