Let's talk wheels hub centric and lug centric

Hiserman79

Let's talk wheels! And this isn't your typical will it fit. I'm looking at wheels various brands. I'm nervous to change wheels as I've got the Chevy shake. Well did have now it's very mild and tolerable. I don't want to bring it back with aftermarket wheels.

My question is this, many of the wheels are lug centric not hub centric. To me this could possibly introduce a shake again. I was looking at lug centric wheels and ask if they could get me the hub rings so the wheels would properly fit the hub. I was told this wouldn't work and isn't necessary.

So now to my question.

Can I use hub rings with lug centric wheels. I want a good snug factory fit as to not give any room for any vibration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I've been in the custom car industry for 20 years. Done hundreds of sets of custom wheels. The only time I've ever seen an issue with lug centric versus hub centric is when either the wrong lug nut is used or the wheels are improperly torqued. You need matching conical lug nuts that have the same degree of taper as the machined part in the new wheels and it is ultra important that the nuts are tightened evenly and in a criss cross pattern as to not distort or shift the wheel. Hub rings would not remedy either of those situations.

Done wheels and tires since I was 18, started at discount tire, firestone recall is when I started, years and mean years of working on every type of vehicle, tire and wheel profile, to custom spokes and barrel's, IMO aftermarket is a hassle from road-side flats, to spare missing the OEM lugs, hub centric issues. generic is generic, OEM wheels fit and function is best, some look good, some don't.

heck! I have a Coats tire machine &Hunter laser wheel balancer in my garage, ran off a Quincy 80 gallon compressor. damn happy to be able to do my stuff, no scratching the wheels or ripping beads.

just wished I got a road force machine.

just stick with OEM, fit and finish, just spend your money on good tires, my fav is Michelin.

You can use hub rings, but some center caps won't fit if you do so, method wheels come to mind. I haven't had any problems with balance issues, just make sure you properly torque in a crisscross pattern and while jacked UP, not on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done wheels and tires since I was 18, started at discount tire, firestone recall is when I started, years and mean years of working on every type of vehicle, tire and wheel profile, to custom spokes and barrel's, IMO aftermarket is a hassle from road-side flats, to spare missing the OEM lugs, hub centric issues. generic is generic, OEM wheels fit and function is best, some look good, some don't.

heck! I have a Coats tire machine &Hunter laser wheel balancer in my garage, ran off a Quincy 80 gallon compressor. damn happy to be able to do my stuff, no scratching the wheels or ripping beads.

just wished I got a road force machine.

just stick with OEM, fit and finish, just spend your money on good tires, my fav is Michelin.

Good advice however I and many others would like a wider, slightly more aggressive stance that OEM wheels lack. These dang + 27 and +31 factory wheels look wimpy. I want just a little poke but nothing crazy.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Archived