UofAZCats Victory Red Rally Silverado

UofAZCats

Since this is my thread I get to chose where to start it and I chose to start it long before I got my truck. My first car was a brand new 1993 red S-10 regular cab. It was beautiful with Camaro style wheels and black grille/trim package. It was the last of the "boxy" style S-10s and I loved it. I had to sell it a couple of years later after the birth of my first son. I last had a truck, full-size or otherwise, in 1999 when I sold my black 1995 extended cad Silverado in order to buy a suburban. With 3 young boys I didn't need a truck - I needed a family truckster.

I first saw the Rally Edition Silverado in the local Mall about 3 years ago. It was one of those new car Mall displays from the town's Chevy dealership. I had no thoughts of buying any new vehicles at that point but it was love at first sight. My boys were almost all growed up but the time was not right. What made it tougher was that I had to drive by the local Chevy dealership each day on my way to coach basketball and see the truck sitting out front of the dealership teasing me.

Fast forward to July last year. With the last of my boys going off to college and needing to shuffle vehicles my wife suggested getting me a new vehicle. As soon as she mentioned it I started my search. I found my new baby 3 hours away at an Autonation. I drove down that weekend and to pick her up. She was impressive at first sight. Unfortunately my first test drive was a little underwhelming.

The gas pedal hesitation and the drop in power while cornering almost had me say no to the deal - no matter how bad ass I thought she looked. In the end I obviously took her home and shortly after getting home I found this forum and started looking into the issues. This forum introduced me all the different mods were doing to their trucks. I was instantly "infected". Through this forum I was also introduced to Adam's car wash products, which have me hooked and feed my obsession over this truck.

Over the past year I have slowly been making mods, some inspired by what others have done and others I had already had in mind, Given how others had inspired me I finally figured I should be doing the same and detailing what I have done with my bad ass bitch.

My girl is a 2015 Victory Red Rally 2 Silverado Crew Cab. When I got her she was a year old and had 13,154 miles. i don't know who the first owner was but he did a great job taking care of this truck. It was in pristine condition inside and out. Below is my baby on the first day I got her home. The only mod that the original owner made was adding a tri fold toneau cover. It is nice, works great and I kept it.

post-160755-0-44981000-1500514361_thumb.jpg

post-160755-0-67190400-1500514417_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My first mod was not earth-shattering or incredibly exciting. I bought floor mats. A neat freak I wanted something that provided as much coverage/protection for the carpet as possible. I didn't want something that gave me the feel of a work truck. I picked the Aries StyleGuard mats. The have an almost carbon fiber type look and give full coverage in the front foot wells and all across the rear. I am happy with them except they are almost impossible to keep clean.

Aries mats:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014LBHFU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not that they are mods but on that same order I bought a change holder and an adjustable ratcheting cargo bed bar. The change holder I bought because I couldn't find any good places to put my loose change. In all my previous Chevy vehicles (and most other manufacturers vehicles as well) there was an obvious change holder/location. The 2015 Silverado is rife with storage possibilities, many more than my older vehicles but I didn't find anything I was comfortable using for change. So I bought a coin holder.

The cargo bed bar is fantastic. It helps keep things in place in the bed of my truck. I don't haul much but when I do the bar helps things from moving too much.

Coin holder:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001XPC7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cargo bed bar:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JL0QZA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My next addition to my girl was a Auto VentShade Chrome Hood Shield. I have a 2005 Suburban ( that just flat out kicks ass) and to my chagrin I didn't put a hood deflector on it. I have collected a number of paint chips along the front portion of the hood that I am convinced could have been avoided if I have put one on it. On my new girl I didn't want to take any chances. I chose the chrome because I liked how it jumps out at you.

Hood shield:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEXK8L2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post-160755-0-61925100-1500515278_thumb.jpg

post-160755-0-34216000-1500515285_thumb.jpg

post-160755-0-00441400-1500515293_thumb.jpg

Great story Good looking truck.I personally wouldn't buy a red truck myself but the 2014/15 red rally silverado does look good.

Congrats one mod at a time and keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I love talking about my truck but my wife isn't as enthusiastic about it.

• Like 1

My next mod was for something I had never heard about until reading about it in these forums. Oil catch cans are one of the more polarizing subjects on these forums. I keep my vehicles for long periods and I want this baby to last so I figured for a small cost I get a little piece of mind that I am doing everything I can to help prolong the life of my truck.

Having made the decision I originally ordered a Morimoto. However after having trouble securing it in the engine area I sent it back. After looking into it a little more I bought the Moroso Air/Oil Separator. Installation went pretty easy though it did take longer than I hoped. I was eager to get it installed and started it the evening I got it - an evening my wife and I were planning to go out for dinner. It took me about an hour to get everything installed which meant my wife had to wait and that is never a good thing.

I like the Moroso. There is a great Youtube video on how to install it and it is easy to empty with the little valve at the bottom of the can. The clamp that is included goes in easy.

I will add pictures of the can installed a little later.

Moroso Air/Oil Separator:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K964KM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My next big thing was a Diablo Sport I2 Tuner. As I mentioned in my first post I had been disappointed with my truck's performance, particularly the lag and cornering. This vehicle has been the hardest to get comfortable driving because of the lag. Most vehicles I had driven before this one, which is my first throttle by wire system, either had a stiff gas pedal or soft pedal but were at least constant. You had to learn how they felt but once you figured it out it was easy to get a comfortable ride or shoot of the line depending on how you felt. The built in lag was causing me no end of uneasy starting off the line no matter whether I wanted to be comfortable or to sprint. It is my nature to push on the pedal until you get a response. Given the initial lag a good portion of the time by the throttle engaged my foot would be farther down than the start I would want causing the truck to lurch and giving everyone the impression that this was first time driving. While I had adjusted, the lag just annoyed me to the point of robbing me of enjoying my big new purchase. Most of my forays initially into this forum were looking into this issue.

I had read a lot on the forums about tuners and different types available. Outside of oil catch cans there is probably not a more polarizing issue on these forums, either on whether or not to use one or which one to use. The warranty concerns were important and a big factor in why I didn't run out immediately and buy one and start playing. The other factor was that I knew/know little about many parameters that these little things could change. After reading for quite some time I got comfortable with what I ascertained is a very small risk that playing with the tuner would void my warranty. Once I did it came down to which one to get. In my looking at these price was certainly the overriding concern.

I chose the Diablosport I2 over a Black Bear tune after my research. Black Bear was/is highly recommended but it is the most expensive of the tuners. This makes sense - it is a custom tune for your vehicle. Unfortunately the price was more than I could afford at that point. The I2 cost was in my ballpark (especially after I found it on sale on AutoAnything) and it came with some pre-programmed tunes as well as allowing both custom tunes and user modifications. The flexibility was important.

Once I got it I immediately loaded the 87 octane tune with a small throttle boost. There was immediate improvement in the responsiveness of the gas pedal on start. I was pretty happy with it. The only concern left than was the warranty issue. A week after I got my tune installed I was scheduled to take the truck in for the computer update recall. I re-flashed the stock tune back into the truck and took it in. Not a peep out of the dealership. I re-installed the tune and bumped the throttle boost a little higher.

I recommend the Diablo Intune I2. I can't (and won't) say it is better than any other tuner/tuning service because I have no experience with them but I can say it worked great for me. I am still contemplating getting a custom tune from Diablew. Mostly I just haven't set aside the time to do the data logging he would need to prepare the tune.

One of the things I think is strange on the Rally editions is that they color match the grill but not the lights, which they leave chrome. It just seemed odd. Changing the headlights to a color matched red seemed to be the most difficult of the options I considered in addressing this awkwardness. I really didn't want to change the red grill out for a chrome one as this would be too much chrome. I finally settle on going black on both the grill and headlights. My inspiration for this choice was how the gloss black grill looked on my 93 red S-10. It really looked cool. In this case with the black stripes I thought the black grill and headlights would be an excellent compliment to the stripes.

That settles the next issue was how to get this look without breaking the bank and buying a new grill and headlights. Looking through the forums I researched the two cheapest options - plastidip and vinyl. I never really thought I could put the vinyl on something as complicated as the grill and lights and have it look even close to "original." Plastidip seemed reasonable given that application seemed pretty straightforward and if I didn't like how it came out it was easy to remove and redo.

After a terrible first attempt with the Rustoleum version of dip, I switched to Plastidip brand using black followed by glossifier. I made sure to put it on heavy so that I could remove it easy and so that it could hopefully resist chipping. Overall I liked the look but it came out far more matte that I hoped. I briefly considered redoing it but decided to stick with it as it was because I didn't think I could really make it much glossier if I went through the trouble to redo it. The matte look tied in with the matte vinyl stripes and looked much better than the red/chrome of the stock.

post-160755-0-49889500-1501735766_thumb.jpg

Edited by UofAZCats
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have always appreciated the lowered truck look, though I couldn't bring myself to slam the dang thing to the ground. At the least I knew that any truck I had I would want to have leveled by lowering the rear. After looking through the Lowering thread extensively and researching the topic I settle on installing drop shackles on the rear and pulling the rear lift block.

My initial thought was to do the install myself. The Belltech installation manual gives a great explanation of what needs to be done (meaning it has great pictures). I bought a pair of drop shackles online and visited the local Autozone to purchase jack stands. I even bought a torque wrench online. However after getting under the truck and looking at the bolt locations and the working space, further complicated by the tow hitch which would need to be removed I decided this wasn't something I was going to be able to accomplish with any degree of comfort.

I called the local Tire Kingdom where I usually get tire work done and they don't install parts they don't provide. Next I called the Chevy dealer and the service rep quoted a price of $300 after talking to their techs and finding one who knew how to do it. Last I checked with a local performance shop that just opened up locally. They initially quoted me a price of $200. A better price but I wasn't extremely comfortable after having to explain to him that the truck had a lift block and that I wanted to remove it. Despite my concern I set an appointment with them for the following week because the price was right.

First they got the time wrong on the appointment - I was scheduled to drop it off at lunch and they called at 9 am to ask why I hadn't dropped it off yet. Then after dropping it off they called because they didn't know how I wanted to handle the spacers needed for the U-bolts after the block removal and then quoted me a higher price of $400 because they didn't realize that the tow hitch had to come off. I had them stop right there and immediately went over and picked it up. What a terrible experience. Not a good way to start a business.

After I got over that bad taste, which took a few months, I called the Chevy dealership and got them to do the work. They did a good job including bending over the bed seam. They didn't remove the block because they were sure that the rear would be lower than the front, which I told them I didn't want to have happen. The rear is still about an 1" higher than the front. Since the rear block is typically noted to be 1.25" tall I have purchased 0.25" lift blocks that I will install to be sure it is either level or the slightest of rakes.

Unfortunately I didn't get true before and after photos but hopefully the following pictures help show the difference. The first picture is the pre-condition and the second is the post condition.

post-160755-0-92503600-1502774189_thumb.jpg

post-160755-0-70418700-1502774262_thumb.jpg

When the dealership installed the drop shackles I also had them change out the chrome center caps for black ones I found on eBay. The chrome didn't look bad but I think the black looks more natural in a way. Not sure why Chevy felt the need to sneak chrome onto the Rally editions. They color match the grill but not the headlights? Gloss black wheels but chrome center caps? They should have stuck with the two primary colors on the Rallys to complete the look.

I won't bother to re-post the pictures of the before and after as they can be seen in my post above. I won't bother to include a link to the black center caps since I bought them eBay.

I put in a couple of minor mods (additions might be a better description) that I haven't mentioned as yet. Little things that were useful. The first was not a common one but I liked it because I put them on my 93 S-10 and having them on this truck reminds of that truck. Uxcell door guards are rubber tubes that attached to your door to protect the edge from rubbing or scratching against something when opened. In addition to being useful in the garage or parking lots I like how they look. Also they are useful for closing the door after I have washed the Big Red Bitch to avoid getting finger prints (yes I am that kind of anal - a by-product of having a red truck).

Uxcell Door Guards

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012T3NA5W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

med_gallery_160755_4761_108658.jpg

The next thing I put in was a box in the bed. It was not a truck box as the truck has a tonneau cover and a truck box won't work with it. The one I put in is actually an ATV utility box I bought at Walmart. I use the cargo bed bar to hold it near the tailgate restricting it from sliding all around the bed of my truck. The box is water proof and could be used as a cooler, though that is not its purpose and it certainly is no Yeti. It has cup holders and slots on the top to hold small things or use as a tailgating table. I put all the little things you need but can't leave loose in your truck bed. Not flashy but important to me none-the-less.

med_gallery_160755_4761_2144084.jpg

Edited by UofAZCats

I lived with the plasti-dipped grille and headlights for almost 6 months. I liked the look but knew it wasn't what I ultimately wanted. I had always wanted to just replace the grille with a gloss black Chevy grille, preferably the LTZ because the I like the look of the grille insert over the mesh. Unfortunately the LTZ grille is about $200-250 more than the standard grille, so the standard grille it is. When I finally couldn't stand it any more I bought the gloss black grille from a Chevy parts store. I changed out the red grille for the black myself and while parts of it were a pita it came off without a hitch. The bottom screws on the grille were the hardest part - mainly because I don't have the hands of 12 year old girl. Overall the look was everything I hoped.

Grille

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/exterior/2015-silverado-1500-grille-black-body-color-surround-with-black-mes/23235956-p-92282237.html

med_gallery_160755_4761_1760822.jpg

med_gallery_160755_4761_4043903.jpg

I couldn't just change out the grille and leave the chrome headlights. It looked strange with the red grille and chrome headlights and it didn't look any less strange with the black grille and chrome headlights. I considered changing out the headlights for black ones but after looking through the cheaper options in the $200 range on Amazon and eBay and reading the crappy reviews I decided to stick with my headlights. Since my headlights are fine and work great I decided to go with Razor Gloss Black Headlight Trim. They went on easy and though I think $100 is an awful lot for some plastic and 3M tape. I was worried about fit and the tape holding but so far there have not been any issues. The look is great.

Razor Headlight Trim

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YI5W3NU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

med_gallery_160755_4761_3870177.jpg

I ordered the Inez Hot Rods 3/5 lowering kit the other day. I had been going back and forth about whether I should go 2" or 3" on the front. I initially thought that a 2" drop in the front might be the lowest I would want to go because I didn't want to go too low. I measured the gap space between the tire and the wheel well lip at least 20 times before I finally felt more comfortable that 3" wasn't too low.I finally decided to go with the 3/5 from Inez because I didn't want to use a drop spindle. The Inez kit changes out the lower control arm to accomplish the 3" drop. It is my understanding that this method preserves the alignment and avoids those issues from using a drop spindle. Not sure when I'll actually be able to afford having it installed (I don't have the tools, space or knowledge/balls to do it myself) but I am looking forward to it.

As far as after that I am looking at a couple of different things, money and wife permitting. I would like to add a sway bar to the rear and upgrade the front. This will definitely need to wait until after the truck gets lowered. Part of that is I am expecting that the sway will be reduced by lowering the truck. The other part is that I know the sway bar would need to be adjusted as part of the lowering and possibly even need an non standard part - which would likely mean needing to pull it off until I had the part. Better to wait.

The other thing I have come to realize I would like to do is color match the bumpers. This wasn't something I really thought too much about earlier but having seen the look on another lowered Rally I realized how cool it looked I knew I wanted to do it. The part I am not sure about is how to go about it. I am considering having the chrome bumpers painted, replacing the bumpers with already painted bumpers or buying bumper covers that have been painted to color match. I am leaning toward the bumper covers but damn if those aren't dang expensive and I am not just not sure since the front apparently comes in pieces that overlap at the ends. Not sure about that. Finding someone to paint it is another hassle since I don't have a "guy" that I know let alone trust. Small town living doesn't present a whole lot of choices.

That's all for tonight. Keep on truckin'.