Wireless charging isn’t working iPhone 8

• 3 weeks later...

From what I have read, anything before 2018 models did not follow the certified spec so they will not charge any of the new iPhones and also some of the Galaxy phones.  There is talk about swapping out the charger that comes in the 2018 models, but it does not look like anyone has done that yet.  I just got my iPhone X yesterday and am disappointed that I can't use the charger either.  If the swapping of the charging unit works and it just fits right in where my 2017 does, I will gladly do the swap out and even try to get the Dealership to cover it.

I have a 2017 Yukon Denali and I use this case on my iPhone 7 and it wirelessly charges with no issues...so that implies to me that the Qi standard used by GM in 2017 does work.  Can't figure out why it doesn't work with the iPhone 8.  Maybe I'll take my iPhone 7 and charging case to the dealer and see if it charges on the 2018 version.

https://bezalel.co/pages/latitude-universal-charging-case

I just got back from the dealership.  I went there just to test my iPhone X to see if it would charge and it did with no issues.  There is a difference between the 2017 model and the 2018 models.  This is a problem that GM needs to fix as they did not follow the proper certification specs until the 2018 model year.

The charger, the connector for the charger and the rubber pad are all different, updated parts for 2018. As soon as the parts are available, I'm sure a member will chime in with part number and pricing. They are so new, the dealerships just have part number without pricing info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here ya’ go...

https://www.needgmparts.com/oem-parts/gm-f-module-13521066

Just installed. Works perfectly with my iPhone X. Even gives the little green lightning bolt on the phone icon.. The male connector in my 2017 Yukon XL Denali needed a couple of tabs Dremelled off to fit the socket on the new module, but it plugs securely works fine. Much easier than changing out the plug as some have suggested. 

Archived