Brake Controller Install locations

Another user mounted his P3 inside the cubby as shown.   If I were to mount mine again this is where I would do it.  Hated banging my knee on controllers with other trucks previously.  The 2014 All Terrain was nice since it had the JL3 integrated brake controller.

20180422_131603.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lgetz said:

Another user mounted his P3 inside the cubby as shown.   If I were to mount mine again this is where I would do it.  Hated banging my knee on controllers with other trucks previously.  The 2014 All Terrain was nice since it had the JL3 integrated brake controller.

20180422_131603.png

That's where my phone holder is.  Been toying with the idea of putting my brake controller, when I get one, in the side pocket of the center console, near the front.

On 5/8/2018 at 6:01 AM, Lgetz said:

20180422_131603.png

That's hideous.   Like having a tach or tuner on your dash.  

On 5/8/2018 at 7:01 AM, Lgetz said:

20180422_131603.png

I don't hate this!  Its not as elegant as other installs but I originally wanted a P3 controller but didn't want it down by my knees.  I think this option puts the prodigy controller in a very prim location.  Thanks for the pic.  I ordered a hopkins and plan to have it installed by this weekend but if I end up not liking it this may be the option I run with.  

On 5/9/2018 at 8:16 PM, bcbz71 said:

That's hideous.   Like having a tach or tuner on your dash.  

May not be the most elegant solution but from someone who has banged their knee one too many times on controllers works great.  Too each his own. 

4 hours ago, A_Ninja_Racer said:

I don't hate this!  Its not as elegant as other installs but I originally wanted a P3 controller but didn't want it down by my knees.  I think this option puts the prodigy controller in a very prim location.  Thanks for the pic.  I ordered a hopkins and plan to have it installed by this weekend but if I end up not liking it this may be the option I run with.  

Hope your controller install goes fine.  From someone who regularly pulls a 12,000+ pound gooseneck trailer for work I want the controller and it's functions in an accessible location.   Does no good hidden away somewhere or out of reach where I can't see it in an unforseen scenario.  

1 hour ago, Lgetz said:

Hope your controller install goes fine.  From someone who regularly pulls a 12,000+ pound gooseneck trailer for work I want the controller and it's functions in an accessible location.   Does no good hidden away somewhere or out of reach where I can't see it in an unforseen scenario.  

I totally agree.  My last truck was a Tacoma.  there was a pocket on the left side of the steering wheel that was Ideal after a few modifications.  when I wasn't towing I could close the pocket and when I was I could open it to reveal the controler I had very easy access and could reach all of the controls quickly as you can with your solution the center tray at the bottom of the dash is just to far to reach.  I plan on my hopkins tuner to be in relatively the same location as yours.

Maybe ya'll are left handed??    Having something on the left side of the steering wheel that I have to adjust or even glance at takes my eyes off the road way too much.   I run my fog lights whenever I drive, day or night, and even pushing the headlight center button is more than I want to turn my head to the left.   With the controller in front of me, to the right, I can reach down still keeping my eyes forward and toggle the brakes with the slider bar, or turn the dial to increase the brakes or let off them.   Much safer and easier for me.    Maybe it's because I'm right handed and right eye dominant...but that is probably the majority of the world.

Edited by bcbz71

22 hours ago, bcbz71 said:

Maybe ya'll are left handed??    Having something on the left side of the steering wheel that I have to adjust or even glance at takes my eyes off the road way too much.   I run my fog lights whenever I drive, day or night, and even pushing the headlight center button is more than I want to turn my head to the left.   With the controller in front of me, to the right, I can reach down still keeping my eyes forward and toggle the brakes with the slider bar, or turn the dial to increase the brakes or let off them.   Much safer and easier for me.    Maybe it's because I'm right handed and right eye dominant...but that is probably the majority of the world.

All K2 trucks 1500's, 2500's, and 3500's have the OEM integrated trailer brake controller to the left of the steering wheel. ?

10 minutes ago, Lgetz said:

All K2 trucks 1500's, 2500's, and 3500's have the OEM integrated trailer brake controller to the left of the steering wheel. ?

You are right.  Guess I'm just too right side oriented.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, bcbz71 said:

Nope not left handed.   Do you have problems turning on your wipers or using your blinkers? Looking down to the left doesn't take any longer then to look down at my speedo or down and right to change my radio station. 

Edited by A_Ninja_Racer

That looks good NoLand.

Was not aware of Redarc until you posted this up.

Way cleaner install and from reading I gather fairly easy to setup and use.

That looks good NoLand.
Was not aware of Redarc until you posted this up.
Way cleaner install and from reading I gather fairly easy to setup and use.

It works for my needs. I didn’t need a read out telling me all the details of what the controller was doing. The Redarc system is pretty intuitive and low key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk