2019 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Debuts with 755 hp - Pics and Details

Gorehamj

2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-002.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

11-13-2017

Chevrolet debuted the fastest, most powerful Corvette in history this weekend in Dubai. GM says the new car will have a top speed of over 210 MPH when it goes on sale this spring. The big news is that the new Corvette ZR1 will have 755 hp and 715 lb-ft of torque. This from a new LT5 6.2L V-8 engine with dual fuel injection. The direct fuel injection is the primary system and port fuel injection is supplemental. Lexus has been using such a system for over a decade. The biggest difference for this GM engine is that the ZR1’as supercharger has 52 percent more displacement than the Z06’s LT4 supercharger has. Also under the hood bulge are 13 “radiators” according to Chevy. (We’d say intercoolers, heat exchangers, and radiators). The ZR1 will offer customers the choice of a 7-speed manual or 8-speed paddle-shifted automatic transmission.

“I’ve never driven a Corvette like this before, and nobody else has either, because there’s never been one like this before,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “Its unprecedented performance puts all other global supercars on notice that the ZR1 is back.”

2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-007.jpg

Aerodynamics plays a key role in the Corvette’s ability to stay planted. “As the highest-performing Corvette ever, the ZR1’s design supports its capability in every way,” said Kirk Bennion, Exterior Design manager. “The new wings, for example, help generate more downforce without adding drag, enhancing road holding and top speed.” The wings are part of two available aero packages. The first offers a standard rear Low Wing, designed for low drag and the highest top speed. It helps to generate up to 70 percent more downforce than the Z06’s base aero package. The second is, a two-way-adjustable High Wing that offers maximum downforce on a road course track for the quickest lap times. Chevy says it develops 60 percent more downforce than the current Z06 with the available Z07 Performance Package. All models also include a new downforce-enhancing front underwing.

2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-006.jpg

The adjustable High Wing is part of the new ZTK Performance Package, which also includes a front splitter with carbon-fiber end caps, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer-only tires, and specific chassis and Magnetic Ride Control tuning for greater cornering grip. Both of the ZR1’s wings connect directly to the Corvette’s chassis, like GM’s Corvette Racing C7.R racecar, for strength and stability.

2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-010.jpg

The Sebring Orange Tintcoat  Corvette ZR1 shown in the images here has the available “Sebring Orange Design Package.” The package also includes orange brake calipers, orange rocker and splitter accent stripes, orange seat belts, orange interior stitching and unique, bronze aluminum interior trim.

2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-009.jpg

I'm sure my enthusiasm will be dampened by the sticker price ... :uhoh:

Wouldn't be surprised to see it even higher, since we now live in a time where some pickup trucks are selling for $80 LARGE ... and people are buying them!  :shakehead:

On 11/15/2017 at 12:14 AM, snowbrdd said:

Any guesses on sticker price? With the z06 starting at 80, my guess is that it starts at 110 or 120.

I've heard $135k being thrown around. It's definitely in the realm of cars with this sort of performance but, sadly way out of my budget.

2 hours ago, RubiconJoey said:

I've heard $135k being thrown around. It's definitely in the realm of cars with this sort of performance but, sadly way out of my budget.

Bet the insurance cost is skyhigh with something with that much power.

6 minutes ago, snowbrdd said:

Bet the insurance cost is skyhigh with something with that much power.

Last time I quoted a Vette it was over $1400 for 6 months which is nearly 3 times as much as it cost me for my truck. That was for full coverage with a clean record and being 29yo.

HA! I was paying $1,800 per year for BASIC insurance on a '85 Monte Carlo in 1996. Lived in Worcester, MA (strike one - highest insurance cost in the state, besides Boston and Springfield, and the rest of the cities), was in my 20's (strike 2), and had a driving record that was a page and a half long (strike 3).

Insurance for a '93 Mustang back then for me was $3,900 per year - I didn't own one - was just curious and asked the agent at the time. Welcome to Taxachusetts!

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:14 AM, snowbrdd said:

Any guesses on sticker price? With the z06 starting at 80, my guess is that it starts at 110 or 120.

Supposedly Tadge Juechter has been quoted as saying similar to the old ZR1 pro base pricing.  The 2009 ZR1 started at $106,520, and by 2013 it reached $113,595.  $120k doesn't seem far fetched to start. 

Archived