2002 2500HD 8.1l worth it?

If you really think about purchasing it, get a pre-purchase inspection done first.  Does it have the allison tranny?  If not, and if the original has not been rebuilt, expect that to go out relatively soon. 

29 minutes ago, Colossus said:

If you really think about purchasing it, get a pre-purchase inspection done first.  Does it have the allison tranny?  If not, and if the original has not been rebuilt, expect that to go out relatively soon. 

Its got the allison. I've looked it over and it seems solid.

Other than service records, pull the trans dipstick out and smell the fluid.  If it smells "burnt" then shy away.  Its not a true test though because they could have changed it recently.  Its hard to tell without service records or at least some receipts.  

The 8.1 is a big thirsty powerful engine. You got 10000 lbs to tow?

My 2500hd, 6.0, tows 8000 lbs regularly.   It gets 12 mpg not towing.

You might not see double digits for gas mileage ever.

Just saying...

I have the same truck . I guess I am lucky 11mpg around town if i drive sensible, 12 mpg on highway running 65-70 got 13 once driving level 2 lane at 55mph before the leveling kit and larger tires. I bought it in 2010 with 110,000 miles for $11,000  it now has 195,000 miles only mechanical probles was one front hub and the fuel pump.. I occasionlly pull a 14 ft dump trailer loaded to 12-13000 lbs with no problems other than muileage drops to about 7-8 mpg.  The mechaical part of this truck is not the concern, its the rust part that is problematic, brake lines,fuel lines, cab.,ab corners, fenders even hinges on tail gate.  Almost forgot to mention the exhaust manifold bolts that rust off also. I still  love the truck, its a beast that is fun to drive. dont expect to find much after market performance parts.

21 hours ago, johnandchrisinmo said:

I have the same truck . I guess I am lucky 11mpg around town if i drive sensible, 12 mpg on highway running 65-70 got 13 once driving level 2 lane at 55mph before the leveling kit and larger tires. I bought it in 2010 with 110,000 miles for $11,000  it now has 195,000 miles only mechanical probles was one front hub and the fuel pump.. I occasionlly pull a 14 ft dump trailer loaded to 12-13000 lbs with no problems other than muileage drops to about 7-8 mpg.  The mechaical part of this truck is not the concern, its the rust part that is problematic, brake lines,fuel lines, cab.,ab corners, fenders even hinges on tail gate.  Almost forgot to mention the exhaust manifold bolts that rust off also. I still  love the truck, its a beast that is fun to drive. dont expect to find much after market performance parts.

Don't have to worry about rust as its been in vegas its whole life. The fuel economy deters me. That kind of money I can just re axle my truck and get closeish to that towing capacity.

I've got a 2004 2500HD with the 8.1L, and had it since it was brand new. It's an absolute beast for towing. Never had a single problem with it in the last 13 years, and it gets pounded on regularly. The fuel mileage is no worse than the 6.0s I've had (I've had a 2006 and a 2015 with the 6.0). When it comes to power, no 6.0 will touch it. 

Archived