Footwell lighting

On 12/9/2017 at 10:11 AM, Jaychevy81 said:

Driver side mounts right under the hood pull. Where the duct mount is there is a rectangle slot. Pass side is in between glove box and the plastic cover for the A/C box. There is a tab with a rectangle notch. I was blown away that it was already there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any way you could get a pic of the mounting locations? I got under my dash and looked for 5 min. And didn't see any slots where that light could fit anywhere around my hood release lever. Haven't checked passenger side yet. 

Any way you could get a pic of the mounting locations? I got under my dash and looked for 5 min. And didn't see any slots where that light could fit anywhere around my hood release lever. Haven't checked passenger side yet. 

383a3c06c2eff83c7c940a4136c41c6b.jpg
First pic is passengers side drivers side is a little tough to get the phone in there.
It’s the bracket that holds the floor duct to the front knee panel. Right behind the screw closest to the center console. f0e193d522cdedeea131edd95f9d17d0.jpg

AhHaaa! A picture is worth 1,000 words. I was looking for a more square hole facing down, didn't realize the mounting tab was on the side I figured it either top or bottom mounted. Thanks alot, ordering the lights and harnesses now. 

I already have LED's that I was in the process of creating a circuit to make the bright when dome light comes on then dim down when dome light goes off. This saves me the headache of building the dual brightness circuit. 

• Like 1

AhHaaa! A picture is worth 1,000 words. I was looking for a more square hole facing down, didn't realize the mounting tab was on the side I figured it either top or bottom mounted. Thanks alot, ordering the lights and harnesses now. 

I already have LED's that I was in the process of creating a circuit to make the bright when dome light comes on then dim down when dome light goes off. This saves me the headache of building the dual brightness circuit. 

Yea I was also trying to come up with something before I seen these. As you can see phil is already ahead of me lol. Between the holidays and the freezing cold temps here I can’t get crap done lolol.

I’m doing the same. I want these lights for the softer ambient light, then brighter white lights (same color as dome) for the footwells.

I made these and plan to mount somehow to these ambient lights. I got these off a Cargo Express Van and harvested just the LED parts.

7b468aa38e6f636ca80992e541c53ab8.jpg

2904bdf0f35318b5ff928e158d513013.jpg

Hey did you make the harness yet? I still gotta find the best way to run it along the factory wiring.

No harness yet. Essentially, it’ll be 3, maybe 4 wires. One for dome lamp, one for ambient LED, 1 or 2 for Ground.

No harness yet. Essentially, it’ll be 3, maybe 4 wires. One for dome lamp, one for ambient LED, 1 or 2 for Ground.

Yea I’m not sure of my routing or grounding yet either. Your gonna dual purpose them I didn’t think about doing that lol.

• Like 1

Yea I’m not sure of my routing or grounding yet either. Your gonna dual purpose them I didn’t think about doing that lol.

Yeah - I held off on these footwells for over a year because I kept going back and forth on how and what... now that you found an OEM mourning location and OEM light, this gets me one step closer. Gonna see if can use the housing on the ambient light to mount the footwell light to.

I had purchased 3 of these 

https://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led

Back in June to use as footwell lights and a light in the upper cubby at the back of the center console. The neutral white matches the dome light perfectly. They are super small but bright as hell which is why I never installed yet. They are 10mmx10mm so super small and can be mounted with a piece of 3M tape no problem. Once the GM lights and connectors come in it should be pretty easy to get it all rigged up. The GM lights will run just like the OH console light and the small 5050 LED's I have will get tied into the dome light circuit. Looking at the ambient light housing I bet I could stick the 5050 LED directly on it without a problem. 

Now I just need to find the time. I had my passenger running board light come off after a long road trip over the summer and it still isn't back on yet. I have more EL wire to add to the console side pockets that I haven't gotten around to installing either. Got the first strip in each one and since it's working haven't had the time to go in and put the second strip in yet. 

I had purchased 3 of these 
https://www.oznium.com/prewired-surface-mount-led

Back in June to use as footwell lights and a light in the upper cubby at the back of the center console. The neutral white matches the dome light perfectly. They are super small but bright as hell which is why I never installed yet. They are 10mmx10mm so super small and can be mounted with a piece of 3M tape no problem. Once the GM lights and connectors come in it should be pretty easy to get it all rigged up. The GM lights will run just like the OH console light and the small 5050 LED's I have will get tied into the dome light circuit. Looking at the ambient light housing I bet I could stick the 5050 LED directly on it without a problem. 

Now I just need to find the time. I had my passenger running board light come off after a long road trip over the summer and it still isn't back on yet. I have more EL wire to add to the console side pockets that I haven't gotten around to installing either. Got the first strip in each one and since it's working haven't had the time to go in and put the second strip in yet. 

I gotta stop finding stuff to add lol. One thing I love about the wife’s Durango is the ice blue door pocket lights.

• Like 1

Im in the same boat Jay. Luckily I am keeping things on the truck to just small things that aren't over the top but you notice them and they make the truck seem just a step above. The sidestep lights look great at night and surprisingly I never see it here. I used el wire that matches the blue console lights in my side pockets so it's just a glow in the pockets vs full on LED lights. Everyone that gets in the truck at night notices them. Once I get the footwell and rear console cubby light finished I think I'm done on the inside except maybe adding lights to the back door handles to match the front. 

• Like 1

I tied them into the puddle light circuit. I just got the led strips that are covered with clear rubber weatherproofing. Cut the strips so that they go from the front of the black pad by the front door to the back of the back pad for the rear. Cleaned under the truck, wiped the metal with the 3M adhesion promoter and used the adhesive on the strip to stick it up there. They are pleanty bright when lit up but I put a fade on them so they fade on then once the puddle light goes off they fade out. 

Other than the passenger side letting loose I do not like how I can see the individual LED's from the side and reflecting in the chrome step. I am ordering aluminum channels that are made for LED'S that has a diffused lense on it. I figure I paint the side of it white to match the truck the diffuser should stop me from seeing the reflection and the channel should eliminate seeing the LED's from the side.