Towing question

jorge1958

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just traded my 2011 ltz z71 for a 2017 lt z71 all star.   The 2011 towed my 9200 lbs camper up mountains just fine, no heat problems with the motor or the transmission. Just had to be sure it was at 4K rpm at the base of the mountain or it was a slow ride up!

When I shopped for the 2017 Silverado I looked for the RPO code z82 (silver sticker in the glove box has all the RPO codes) and an external transmission cooler ( KNP), I also had to have the factory trailer brake.  Here is the RPO url ,    http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/silverado/2017.tab3.html#top_s

The 2017 has more HP an torque than the old vortec, so it should do the job just fine!  The transmission cooler is the key to towing, if you don't have one you can add an aftermarket cooler.

My 2011 and 2017 can display the transmission temperature on the dash, yours probably does also.

Hi guys new here and I'm looking at replacing my 2010 f150 supercrew4x4 xlt. I'm looking at the 2018 sierra 1500 with5.6 and 3.42 gears. I have to tow a travel trailer wet  weight (loaded) is about 7600. Gmc is rated 9800 lbs. Will it tow my trailer the same as the ford or worse? I have to haulmy travel trailer up the highway through hell. Don't wanna be one of those broke down on the sode of the road.thanks in advance

Hi guys new here and I'm looking at replacing my 2010 f150 supercrew4x4 xlt. I'm looking at the 2018 sierra 1500 with5.6 and 3.42 gears. I have to tow a travel trailer wet  weight (loaded) is about 7600. Gmc is rated 9800 lbs. Will it tow my trailer the same as the ford or worse? I have to haulmy travel trailer up the highway through hell. Don't wanna be one of those broke down on the sode of the road.thanks in advance
I tow a travel trailer in the same weight with a 2017 5.3 and 3.42 without difficulty

I am currently pulling a sunset trail 262bh. Dry weight is 5318 and my wife,daughter (1yr old-25lbs), dog (60lbs) and I and tools and cooler in the bed. We have traveled from Houston to Arkansas through the ozark mountains and are now in the great smoky mountains in Asheville, NC and plan on getting to the east coast and working our way back to central Texas. I have a fastway E2 hitch but recommend the equalizer. We are averaging about 6-8 mpg highway at 70-75 mph and 9-11mpg at 60-65 mph.

Through the mountains I have actually don’t use as much gas because I use gravity and downhill momentum as much as possible. Also, 18 wheelers are your best friend when getting your mpg up to 12 on rolling hill highways.

My set up is:

2014 LT 5.3 and 3.42 gear

Factory trailer brake controller.

Aftermarket tow mirrors which were a must for keeping my family safe.

Trans temp only got up to 210* when I got off the highway and hit several stop and go stop lights. It never got high enough to worry about it.

Long hills: Don’t kill your tranny, you won’t make it going the speed limit and neither will the 18 wheelers, so just tuck in with the big rigs and get over the hill. There were a few hills around the ozarks that I was at the bottom going 70 and when I crested the hill I was going 45 but so were the big rigs.

Our next stop is Lynch,KY for the coal mine from 1920

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Clint623 said:

By drafting at a safe distance at the back of a convoy

Oh. So you are following at about 5-6 full vehicle lengths behind the nearest truck then.   Wouldn't be good to eat a 100 lb of tire tread that flies off the back wheel of the trailer and turns your pickup into a convertible.  I have seen that happen.  I have even thrown a tread sideways into a car that couldn't figure out how to get around my semi in a timely manner.  They did that 1 mph faster than me type of passing and the tire blew up right at their front fender.  For any appreciable "drafting" effect to occur, the distance has to be within 3 feet.  Else turbulence takes over.

Oh. So you are following at about 5-6 full vehicle lengths behind the nearest truck then.   Wouldn't be good to eat a 100 lb of tire tread that flies off the back wheel of the trailer and turns your pickup into a convertible.  For any appreciable "drafting" effect to occur, the distance has to be within 3 feet.  Else turbulence takes over.

Whatever tickles your fancy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't affect me.  I will just keep on rolling.  I never worry about anyone following my semi truck too close.  If they want to eat 53' of trailer with 23 tons of cargo in it, that is fine with me.  Or if they want to eat a tire that come off, oh well.  I might notice that something happened.  Like the drunk who slammed into my trailer about 20 years ago.  I never felt a thing.  It was only when I saw his vehicle flipping in the ditch in my rear view did I know anything had happened.   If one doesn't value their life, why should I show any concern.

Archived