Growling noise-dashboard pass side

Hey guys, 2017 Yukon Denali 6.2. 7K on her now. This is my 4th truck in this platform Silverado, Sierra, Yukon now this second one. All of them had loud HVAC systems especially on recirculate. But this is the first one with a very annoying sound at low speed local driving. In goes with the rpm of the motor and stops if I shut the A/C off. So I figured sounds like a messed up compressor. But when I go under the hood nothing sounds out of normal. But inside on passenger side it's growling at low rpm's. It's driving me nuts in town driving. Can actually hear it over a low radio. Like I said it sounds like a cycling a/c compressor in an older car. It does not go at the fan speed it seems to be rpm. My service rep already said never heard of such a thing and manager would have to drive in truck and agree it's there. Anyone have this issue or TSB, or resolve it????

I’ve had issues in the past on my other cars where mice have gotten into system and died or have tried to build a nest in the blower motor.  When that happens, it creates an imbalance in the blower and it makes a low frequency rumble.  It’s probably not what you have, but you never know...

I had a single dead leaf fall into the blower fan when changing the cabin air filter. Made a similar noise. It’s an easy fix if that’s the issue. Remove the cover under the dash and remove 2 or 3 screws (can’t remember) to drop the blower and inspect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys, I am hitting the A/C button off and it stops, the fan is still blowing, don't think it's that. I did have that happen on another vehicle and understand your advice. But this changes with engine rpm's not fan speed. I can mask the sound with hitting recirculate which actually just drowns out the sound but it's still there at low rpm's. Thanks for your input

UPDATE:

The tech said the compressor sounded cranky and agreed it was louder than most for a brand new vehicle. Took 3 hours and they had the compressor in stock.(I wonder why??)

Big improvement. I can still hear it slightly, but I am listening for it and am sensitive from being tortured for weeks with it. But overall I am happy. I did look at where it comes into the firewall and feel the A/C line is conducting the compressor sound into the cabin as that is right where it is heard the loudest. Its a direct path from the compressor to the firewall. Bad design, but now with a quieter compressor I think I will look into sound insulation for the inside and maybe the outside to deaden it completely. 

Thanks guys

• 1 month later...

My 2014 Sierra never made the noise and my 2016 was quite the first year, still have the noise (not as loud) after they replaced the blower motor and the compressor. I will look into insulating the lines, let us know if you figure it out because GMC has no clue. 

I had a '14 Silverado, '15 Sierra, '15 Yukon Denali XL, and now this '17 Yukon Denali XL. Never heard it till the '17. Although the '17 is improved in many areas from the previous trucks this noise is unnerving anf very annoying. It ruins the entire experience of owning a nice vehicle. It has to be the lines because the noise is the compressor and the noise is entering the cabin at the junction block on the firewall. I put a stethoscope on the line at several points and near the firewall and do not hear it. But under the theory of the 2 cups and a string transmitting sound, I cannot understand how it is so prevalent near the glove box inside but not heard in the engine compartment. It is definetly the second the compressor cycles on.  I bought some dum dum insulating putty which is heavy and dense and will cover the exposed aluminum line near the end at the firewall with the hopes of deadening and transmission of sound. ?? We will see. 

Between this and the most uncomfortable seat ever, I am ready to cut my losses and go find a very low mileage 2011-2013 Suburban. Comfortable and bulletproof. 

• 3 weeks later...

As the weather warms I have noticed the A/C noise is getting loud again almost as loud as before the new compressor and fan motor, this is driving me crazy! I have purchased 7 new Sierras and this 2016 is a first for A/C noise. Too bad because I love the truck but really starting to change my opinion, whats worst is no one knows how to fix it. GM needs to buy these back if they can't be repaired. 

My '17 is driving me nuts. I dont always want the radio loud to cover this up. Sometimes I just want peace and quiet driving and all I can hear is this whirling from the compressor. Of all the trucks I have had in this platform this is the best one in most all categories! Finally loosened up on the suspension, trans shifts great, fast as hell, but this noise and the terrible seats are ruining this entire truck. Great truck but not for 70K!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you. I am hoping for some acknowledgement or TSB to mention to start a higher level complaint. This truck is leaps and bounds better than my 2015 and it's a shame how the seat and this noise are making me hate such a great truck. 

My friend just bought a 2018 and the seats are identical to my 2017. It's my understanding that they are changing the seat mid year, so build date will matter for the new seat coming.