Electrical Issues

Anyone have major electrical issues with their Silverado (2017 High Country with 6.2)?  I get Stabilitrac alarm, Park Assist, Trailer Brake, Check engine etc.  Speedo, tach, temp gauge all drop to zero and engine will surge.  If I stop and start driving again the truck won't shift.  The truck has even stalled out completely and not restarted once.  I've had the G218 ground TSB performed and ECM replaced.  Truck is now in the shop for the fifth time for the same issue.  Truck is only 6 months old with 4500 easy kilometres!!  Any one have ideas?

They said they’ve tightened all cables and grounds listed in the TSB. Replaced some relays etc. Almost got the truck back today but they took it for a drive and it failed again. Getting GM head techs involved now. Over a week without my truck. They have put more kilometres on it in a week than I do in two months. Canada needs a lemon law. 

Going to take a wild guess here cuz I seen this before in a Car. Alternator has a bad diode, causes a power surge through the system and the computer resets itself causing your gauges to act up and engine surge. If they have proper test equipment and are LOOKING for the issue the will see it swap the alternator and you can drive happily ever after.................................. 

20 hours ago, HighCountry17 said:

They said they’ve tightened all cables and grounds listed in the TSB. Replaced some relays etc. Almost got the truck back today but they took it for a drive and it failed again. Getting GM head techs involved now. Over a week without my truck. They have put more kilometres on it in a week than I do in two months. Canada needs a lemon law. 

Tightening the cables won't make a difference.  They need to check for voltage drop through the cables just like the Tech Bulletin says ...

• 8 months later...

Hello,

HighCountry17, did you ever get this resolved?

I have a 2018 Sierra Denali that is doing the exact same things as what you initially described.

I have now had my truck in twice (4400 miles of easy driving) and it is only 6 months old.

Saturday AM I was unable to drive it as it would not engage any gear, and the tach showed zero even with the engine running.

All gears acted like neutral (aside from park).

Dealer is telling me that they need their loaner back and they are unable to replicate the issue.

I did mention the TSB you provided above and they said that is simply a roadmap and they are not allowed to do anything until the problem is replicated.

I am really loosing confidence in my GMC pickup.

Thank you for your help.

the dish king,

My issue was not resolved. The truck is now back in the shop for the fourth time. Mine only has 13000kms on it. The shop has replicated the issue with test drives and computers hooked up a number of times now and they still can’t track down the cause. I too have lost confidence in GM. I will post here if they actually fix it this time. 

• 3 weeks later...

HighCountry17,

I am sorry to hear your issue was not resolved.  I was going to post an update (don't get on the forums often) that my truck had been repaired, as they said they found a connector that was loose last time.

I asked what the connector was for and the service advisor said he never got this info from the tech.

Anyway, my issue happened for the 3rd time last Tuesday (Nov. 6) and my truck has now been in the shop for 1 week.

Still have not heard any word at all from the dealer.

I will update if I learn anything.

Hope they find your issue soon.

FInally got my truck back!  After many connectors and wires replaced, GM engineers suggested replacing the Transmission Control Module and my problem seems to be corrected. Apparently this isn’t an uncommon issue. Have your dealer contact GM with your symptoms and they will probably suggest the same thing. Let me know how you make out.

• 3 months later...

Purchased a 2015 Silverado High Country last May (2018) with 87,xxx on it (one owner). Started having the same electrical issues around October 18 and took it to a local GM shop to have the issue addressed. 

Tech told me me it was a bad ground cable. So instead of forking out a stupid amount of money for the tech to replace it, I purchased the part myself and put it in. Literally 2 bolts and a connector. 

Also the tech advised that he tested the battery 10 times and it showed it was good. He told me personally that if I change that cable the problem will be resolved. It’s a common problem he said. 

So at this point I was happy, less than $100.00 and a few minutes of my time and the problem would be fixed!!

Fast forward a few weeks, and the same shorting out problems continued. Flickering dash, radio goes black, warning messages, dings, beeps, headlights and fog lights flickering. Started doing some research and found out about the faulty ground on the driver side dash near the windshield. 

Again, address that issue, a week or so goes by and the voltage / shorting out issue continues. 

At this point I’m fed up with it, and just drive it that way. The problems gets worse and worse almost daily, to the point where my power steering would go out and the truck would sometimes just stall. 

I realized that if I did something to draw more power from the battery, it would trigger the short / voltage issue. A few ways I noticed were if traction control came on due to slippery roads, or if I pulled up on the window switch, even though the windows were already up it would trip the short as well. Sometimes hitting a hard bump would trigger it. And sometimes just driving down the highway on cruise would do it. The truck at this point had a mind of its own in a way. 

So as you can believe, after owning the truck for about 6 months, I was pretty upset. Paid good money for it and it had left me stranded about 3-4 times at this point.. not enjoyable. 

So here I am, first week of March. Truck complete dead again. I set up an appointment to have it looked at. I wanted to do all I could to rule some things out. So the first thing I did was just buy a new battery. (Tech was wrong about the battery, go figure) 

Put the new battery in and what do you know. Truck fires right up. But a message came on in the dash that said “action needed, roll down passenger side window”.... so of course, I roll down the passenger side rear window. It goes half way down, then continues to go the rest of the way down by itself. Try to roll it back up and nothing. 

Lomg story short on the window issue. I check every fuse in the truck, then check them again. All are good. Have to tear apart the door panel to jump the motor to roll it back up. Ok whatever the windows don’t work. 

I drive the truck for 3-4 days before my scheduled appointment and have no shorting out or voltage drop issues anymore..

i took the truck in on March 4 and have them address the window issues. I hear back from them later that day and they tell me that the ground cable that is 2 months old is bad again. I explain to them that I’m not paying for a new one and that should 100% be covered under warranty. They said “we will work something out” they did not like that I changed it myself....

as far as the windows. They say that the rear window switch is bad.. and the front window regulator is bad. Have to order parts and will put them in the next day. Ok whatever just fix it. 

Next day day I have to call them, they say that oh now the passenger side front window switch is bad. Have to order that now. 

Ok so the switch is bad but you already replaced the regulator / window motor?? 

So here I am, truck has been in the shop 3 going on 4 days and at this point they are just throwing parts at it. Now I know electrical issues suck, and who actually knows where the problem lies, but this is getting old. The last price they gave me for the repairs was just shy of $500.00. So I’m interested to see what the end result will be. 

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to see if anyone else has been having this many problems. Or if there was a different solution on their truck that was showing some of the same issues. 

Had no one checked the ground bolt up under the driver side front speaker grill? I guess there’s a rubber gasket thing that gets caught between the bolt and washer not allowing it to make full ground. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...