Flash drive for music

Did a search and couldn't find much. 2016 Silverado. I have 128GB flash drive installed in the console USB. The music on that flash drive came directly from my iTunes library. All I did to transfer the music was select the artists from iTunes, then drag and drop onto the flash drive. When I search by artist, a good percentage of my music is there, in alphabetical order with all the albums linked to that artist. At the bottom of the "artist" list, there is a folder labelled "unknown" that contains the rest of my music that wasn't placed with the corresponding artist. Those songs are just grouped together by song title and are in no particular order, not even alphabetical. Anyone know why it is doing this? My guess is that it's user induced because I'm not transferring the music correctly in the first place. I know the flash drive is bigger than it's supposed to be (I'm going to downsize to a 32 gig drive). I know that the music that shows up in the unknown folder has the artist info filled out in iTunes. The current flash drive is formatted to either NTFS or FAT32, I can't remember which. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I am curious about the various media formats and restrictions the MyLink will play as well. There doesn’t seem to be much info regarding this, and it seems that it changes from the 2016 version to the 2017-18 regarding the ability to play videos. I hope someone points you in the right direction.

I’m in a 2018 Silverado LTZ Z71.

21 hours ago, MidnightJohnny said:

I am curious about the various media formats and restrictions the MyLink will play as well. There doesn’t seem to be much info regarding this, and it seems that it changes from the 2016 version to the 2017-18 regarding the ability to play videos. I hope someone points you in the right direction.

I’m in a 2018 Silverado LTZ Z71.

Thanks, me too. I do know mine will play mp4 files. I happen to have one music video on that flash drive that will play while the truck is in park. I have no idea though of how to convert mp3 to mp4. I was told yesterday that the mylink is designed to work no more than a 32gb flash drive. I know there are a lot of people who have bigger drives with no issues. Like I said, I'm fairly sure I'm doing something wrong, but I just don't know enough to pinpoint it. 

Jetmek, that's what mine looks like.  I have a 64g card and only spent about 10 minutes with it today in the truck but it looks like it doesn't like folders in folders.  I have quite a bit in my "unknown".  When I have the time in the next few daysI'm going to look at why so many got put in the unknown.

On 2/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, Downsea said:

Jetmek, that's what mine looks like.  I have a 64g card and only spent about 10 minutes with it today in the truck but it looks like it doesn't like folders in folders.  I have quite a bit in my "unknown".  When I have the time in the next few daysI'm going to look at why so many got put in the unknown.

Glad I'm not the only one. Please let me know if you figure out why it's doing it. I haven't had time to mess with it at all.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived