CB radio

3 hours ago, spiritwalker said:

Thanks for posting.. I just got a new 2018 2500 hd ltz and need to get my ham radio installed..  It has a remote face so I can put the unit under a seat or something..   this post will help me sort out the wire routing and placement..  Cheers!

What radio model do you have? Where are you mounting the remote face?

1 minute ago, KD5FPV said:

What radio model do you have? Where are you mounting the remote face?

I have a Kenwood TM-V71a..  So far it looks like the best location is going to be near the card holder at the front of the console..  I might have to fab up a custom bracket or something. 

1 minute ago, spiritwalker said:

I have a Kenwood TM-V71a..  So far it looks like the best location is going to be near the card holder at the front of the console..  I might have to fab up a custom bracket or something. 

I almost bought a used 71a a few months ago. Post up some pics when you get it mounted up!

• Like 1

It was a pretty nice weekend here, so I was able to get this job done. I might do something different with how the antenna gets to the radio, and how the power cord gets to the power port.

It took some messing around with the mounting stud to get it grounded right, and then some tuning with the antenna, but, using the SRW built in tuner, I got it pretty close to 1.5 on both channel 1 and 40, the picture shows where it is on 19.

I fished the cable in through the cab vent on the back wall, then fed the cable under the door kick panel. ecc60b1846bca18d130d62d7d91d99da.jpgc75e1a933d298efb5d8e53ae2f5a3c3b.jpgd00ef768cb45352db61459cf1e8906fe.jpge7bcb8376723650f35356537ad0c86e1.jpg99e6cf8a9559f2106f12d3c3559ae55e.jpg75279051480f78a76b8ce25367336b27.jpg439e91793eeb199426b88dfd5f7e90d6.jpg95e1a64792306b54d078f106706200de.jpg

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

Make sure you put a drip loop where it enters the back of the cab or rain will follow the cable into the cab...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Does anyone know what is behind the upper glove box.  I wanted to possible install the CB in there, just cut out the back of it and slip it in.  This way I can close it up when not in use.  Not like that storage box is of any use anyways...lol  But i'm thinking it may be that shallow for a reason.

4 minutes ago, tooch420 said:

Does anyone know what is behind the upper glove box.  I wanted to possible install the CB in there, just cut out the back of it and slip it in.  This way I can close it up when not in use.  Not like that storage box is of any use anyways...lol  But i'm thinking it may be that shallow for a reason.

Could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet the airbag is directly behind it.

19 hours ago, KD5FPV said:

Could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet the airbag is directly behind it.

i kinda hoped not...lol   Its a good spot though.  Maybe down in the glove box then..

anyone thinking of putting one up in the headliner? I was looking at the glasses holder I never use and think it would be a good spot. any ideas how to remove it and get a power cord up there? or is there one there already?

There should be power up in the top console. If you got the snow plow prep package there is power for a beacon and a switch to turn it on and off. if not use power from courtesy lights.

91d8a49fab645a1a010ef194f2510181.jpg

216623e47560fa3a2c229ff3c75a162c.jpg

1098e83cbf1b202e9647781d2ac3b393.jpg

6fb81423bbd01fd09b54bb74d0564c16.jpg

I mounted the control head of my Icom 5100 where the sunglass holder is. I can remove it and close the sunglass door as the Ram mount is quick to remove.

The Kenwood TS 480 control head is mounted with another Ram mount in the large cavity in front of the cup holder. I originally had mounted my CTS Edge there but didn’t like it that low so I moved it near the drivers A pillar handle and mounted the radio head here.

The auto-tune panel for the screwdriver antenna is tucked away in the console map pocket unless I’m using the Kenwood ( I stick a piece of Velcro on the dash and stick it on there).

I ran the control cable above the headliner from the radio in the back seat. The power in the overhead console has a very small wire so I ran a larger one to power my dash cam.

The power for the radios came from the upfitter plug by the driver side kick panel.

I ran the coax in the cab through a hole I drilled near the rear seat cabin vent. If you run the coax through the vent the rubber flap will never close.

I hope I was able to give you a few ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1