I'd like to get some information on adding a backup camera to my pickup.  I have a 2009 Silverado 1500 LTZ with the Onstar/auto dimming mirror.  I've seen some older after market models that have the camera in the tailgate handle bezel and the screen in the mirror.  I'd like to get some first hand knowledge from anybody who has experience with these devices such as what models to look for, ease of installation/wiring and if there are any concerns one needs to keep in mind while shopping/installing.  I don't use the Onstar system but I'd like to keep all of the functionality associated with the existing mirror. 

Thanks for any help!!

On 3/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, Gunner7800 said:

I'd like to get some information on adding a backup camera to my pickup.  I have a 2009 Silverado 1500 LTZ with the Onstar/auto dimming mirror.  I've seen some older after market models that have the camera in the tailgate handle bezel and the screen in the mirror.  I'd like to get some first hand knowledge from anybody who has experience with these devices such as what models to look for, ease of installation/wiring and if there are any concerns one needs to keep in mind while shopping/installing.  I don't use the Onstar system but I'd like to keep all of the functionality associated with the existing mirror. 

Thanks for any help!!

DON'T buy a factory camera! The camera used for the factory mirror is really bad - very low res simply because it doesn't have to be any better to display in the tiny factory monitor. We use the Camera Source camera kit ($199), which has been a great kit for us the past 6-7 years. It comes in factory GM plastic but with a much better camera than GM uses along with a fully loomed harness and a three year warranty.

You can buy a mirror for the display, but it has to be the factory OnStar monitor mirror, because if it's not, there will be OnStar errors. You can find one of these on EBay for between $200-300, or ask if anyone in this forum that owns the Advent OGM1 or Rosen GM1210 factory-look navi radios wants to to do a trade (and some cash) for your factory mirror, since most guys that bought those radios from us that had the factory camera/mirror combo wired the factory camera to the radio, leaving the mirror display redundant.

You could also move to the GM1210 radio, which gives you all the upgraded radio features for a pretty reasonable price - $679.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this will be helpful, but in my 2005 Sierra 1500 I installed an Alpine touchscreen DVD player with a toggle switch to override the video lockout. Hooked up a Kenwood camera in the void above the hitch receiver tube and was able to keep it on all the time while towing to keep an eye on the hitch and trailer, and when I had large loads blocking my back window it functioned as my rear view mirror. I can say from experience that the kenwood camera i had is fantastic, and they’re probably even better today. Great video quality and never had any sort of issues with it. Not sure if it’ll work as you intend with the mirror though. The installation won’t look factory but it was a much better video quality than my 2016 Sierra 1500 and had the added benefit of keeping it on whenever I wanted to. 

Archived