Trailer Cameras Not Working

Here it is- April 19, 2021.  I spent the whole day at the GMC dealership.  GPS doesn't work or is intermittent.  Rear trailer camera doesn't work or is intermittent.  I have had this problem for some time since it was new- July 2020.  The technician said there was an GPS error code and replaced the GPS antenna.  It worked great when I left the shop- but failed before I got home.   I called the service rep- He said push ON-STAR.  I did a welcome call- bingo- GPS started working.  Sample of 1 time.  We'll see how well this works.

At the same time I noticed the trailer brake lights after locking the truck with the FOB.  This is the theft deterrent mode.  The lights were flickering... I unlocked the truck and re-locked with the door lock.  The lights behaved normally with a single flash every 30 seconds or so.

The techician said there was an error code for the rear camera.  They will order another one. I'm not optimistic at all.  The whole Infotainment system is very complex with complex firmware.  Seems like there is not sufficant diagnostic error catching codes to trouble shoot problems.

My quess is tomorrow I will check out the camera and it will work.  If it does, I still lose the calibration.  That means I will need to remove the rear trailer tire to re-calibrate.  YES- It doesn't calibrate with the rear tire mounted.

These problems need to be elevated to higher hardware, software and firmware engineers. How can they fix these things if they are not in the middle of the trouble shooting battle ????

• 2 months later...

I hear the camera can be used as a simple rear camera without using the transparent trailer feature.  I have a 5th wheel so it won't work anyway.  Has anyone done this and how do you program it or does it even need programing?

• 3 weeks later...

So i have been all over the internet trying to find some guidance. 2020 Silverado with trailer camera package (no the invisible trailer). FIRST camera worked intermittently. Sometimes it shows connected, sometimes connected by no option for the camera in the camera screen, sometimes it worked. It finally failed completely.

Second camera, same thing, except I have never been able to get video. It shows connected, but that's it. My dealership is clueless about this option. I am very frustrated that I bought an option that should be plug and play and am getting no assistance. I too have tried every combination of plugin procedures, asleep, hot, everything. It is a very nice function when it works, but it is very sketchy. My dealership wants me to bring the RV in so they can install it ($$). I don't want them anywhere near my RV after their displayed knowledge of the situation. I'm at the end of my rope!!!

9 hours ago, dobroplayer said:

So i have been all over the internet trying to find some guidance. 2020 Silverado with trailer camera package (no the invisible trailer). FIRST camera worked intermittently. Sometimes it shows connected, sometimes connected by no option for the camera in the camera screen, sometimes it worked. It finally failed completely.

Second camera, same thing, except I have never been able to get video. It shows connected, but that's it. My dealership is clueless about this option. I am very frustrated that I bought an option that should be plug and play and am getting no assistance. I too have tried every combination of plugin procedures, asleep, hot, everything. It is a very nice function when it works, but it is very sketchy. My dealership wants me to bring the RV in so they can install it ($$). I don't want them anywhere near my RV after their displayed knowledge of the situation. I'm at the end of my rope!!!

Have you tried plugging your trailer into the in-bed connector?  If you have an in bed connector.  I got mine installed last week on my 36' 5th wheel and it's working great.  It seems to know if you use the in-bed connector that there is no invisible trailer as it won't even let me go into the setup for it.

I have a 2020 GMC 2500HD Denali with the Trailering feature.  I had my GMC dealer install the rear trailer camera on a new 2021 travel trailer.  They did a great job.  It worked intermittently for months and would lose calibration.  I had to take it back to the dealer many times to have the technician troubleshoot to problem.  Finally, they replaced the camera.  BINGO.  All has worked perfectly for months now.  I'm thankful I had the dealer install and backup the warranty.  There may be a reliability/yield issue with camera.

The only problem with the GMC now is the GPS.  It has always been intermittent since new.  The California Lemon law is being persued.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, Ron Scott said:

Have you tried plugging your trailer into the in-bed connector?  If you have an in bed connector.  I got mine installed last week on my 36' 5th wheel and it's working great.  It seems to know if you use the in-bed connector that there is no invisible trailer as it won't even let me go into the setup for it.

I'm not even sure I have in-bed connectors. I don't have a camera right now as I sent the new one back, and am trying to get some resolution as to exactly what's going on. I.e., is it the camera or the truck. I might try another camera at some point, but right now all I have is frustration...:banghead:

• 8 months later...

I bought my 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 brand new. With a complete camera system, camera never worked. GMC did nothing to help. Trying to find another wiring harness and connector so I can rewire the camera to see if I had a faulty wire but I can't find the parts. Hopefully an aftermarket part if they're available.

Edited by Charlie Blackwood
edit