Assigned Key Number

I finally picked up my '18 Silverado LTZ this weekend!!  Love it so far, but my question is about the Key numbers.  The owners manual says I should have a #1 and #2 key that correspond with the 1 and 2 memory seat positions.  It also says that the DIC should indicate which key is inserted when starting.  I have tried both remotes and neither one changes the ceat position when unlocked, and neither one displays on the DIC which one it is.  Is this something the dealer was supposed to program?  Or have I gotten keys that are numbered 3+?  OR Is this a feature I am supposed to turn on in the infotainment menu and missed somewhere?

Memory features are linked to the key fobs. 

How to make sure that the seats move properly when unlocking key:

Auto Memory Recall

This feature automatically recalls the previously stored 1 or 2 button positions when the ignition is changed from off to on or ACC/ACCESSORY. See Memory Seats.

Select Off or On.

This is under COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE in the SETTINGS.

How to set:

If equipped, memory seats allow two drivers to store and recall their unique seat positions for driving the vehicle, and a shared exit position for getting out of the vehicle. Other feature positions may also be set, such as power mirrors, power steering wheel, and adjustable pedals, if equipped. Memory positions are linked to RKE transmitter 1 or 2 for automatic memory recalls.

Before storing, adjust all available memory feature positions. Turn the ignition on and then press and release SET; a beep will sound. Then immediately press and hold 1, 2, or B (Exit) on the driver door until two beeps sound. To manually recall these positions, press and hold 1, 2, or B until the saved position is reached.

The vehicle identifies the current driver’s RKE transmitter number (1–8). See Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation. Only RKE transmitters 1 and 2 can be used for automatic memory recalls. A Driver Information Center (DIC) welcome message indicating the transmitter number may display for the first few ignition cycles following a transmitter change. For Auto Memory Recall to work properly, save the positions to the memory button (1 or 2) matching the RKE transmitter number displayed in the DIC welcome message. Carry the linked RKE transmitter when entering the vehicle.

Vehicle Personalization Settings

• To have the Auto Memory Recall movement begin when the vehicle is started, select the Settings menu, then Vehicle, then Comfort and Convenience, and then Auto Memory Recall. Select On or Off. See “Auto Memory Recall” later in this section.
  • To begin Easy Exit Recall movement when the ignition is turned off and the driver door is opened, or when the ignition is turned off with the driver door already opened, select the Settings menu, then Vehicle, then Comfort and Convenience, and then Easy Exit Options. Select On or Off. See “Easy Exit Recall” later in this section.
  • See Vehicle Personalization for additional setting information.

Identifying Driver Number

To identify the driver number:

1. Start the vehicle with the other key or RKE transmitter. The DIC should display the driver number; 1 or 2. Turn the ignition off and remove the key or RKE transmitter from the vehicle.
  2. Start the vehicle with the initial key or RKE transmitter. The DIC should display the other driver number not shown in step 1.

Saving Memory Positions

Read these instructions completely before saving memory positions.

To save preferred driving positions 1 and 2:

1. Turn the ignition on or to ACC/ACCESSORY.

A DIC welcome message may be displayed indicating number 1 or 2 for memory recalls.

2. Adjust all available memory features to the desired driving position.
  3. Press and release SET; a beep will sound.
  4. Immediately press and hold the 1 or 2 memory button matching the above DIC welcome message until two beeps sound.

If too much time passes between releasing SET and pressing 1, the memory position will not be saved and two beeps will not sound. Repeat Steps 3 and 4.

1 or 2 corresponds to the driver number. See “Identifying Driver Number” in this section.

5. Repeat Steps 1–4 for a second driver using 1 or 2.

To save the position for B and easy exit features, repeat Steps 1–4 using B. This stores the position for getting out of the vehicle.

Save preferred memory feature positions to both 1 and 2 if you are the only driver.

Manually Recalling Memory Positions

Press and hold 1, 2, or B to recall the previously stored memory positions.

To stop manual recall movement, release 1, 2, or B. Recall can also be stopped by pressing a power seat, SET, power mirror control, power steering wheel control, or adjustable pedal control, if memory equipped. The driver or passenger side mirror must be selected.

Auto Memory Recall

The vehicle identifies the number of the current driver’s RKE transmitter (1–8). See Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) System Operation. If the RKE transmitter is 1 or 2, and Auto Memory Recall is programmed on in vehicle personalization, the positions saved to the same memory button number 1 or 2 are automatically recalled when the ignition is turned on, or turned from off to ACC/ACCESSORY. RKE transmitters 3–8 will not provide automatic memory recalls.

To turn Auto Memory Recall on or off, see "Vehicle Personalization Settings" previously in this section and Vehicle Personalization.

The transmission must be in P (Park) to initiate Auto Memory Recall. Auto Memory Recall will complete if the vehicle is shifted out of P (Park) prior to reaching the stored memory position.

To stop Auto Memory Recall movement, turn the ignition off or press any of the following memory controls:

• Power seat
  • Memory SET, 1, 2, or B
  • Power mirror, with the driver or passenger side mirror selected
  • Power steering wheel, if equipped
  • Adjustable pedals, if equipped

If the stored memory seat position does not automatically recall or recalls to the wrong positions, the driver’s RKE transmitter number (1 or 2) may not match the memory button number that positions were saved to. Try storing the position to the other memory button or try the other RKE transmitter.

Easy Exit Recall

Easy Exit Recall is not linked to an RKE transmitter. The position stored to B is used for all drivers. To turn Easy Exit Recall on or off, see "Vehicle Personalization Settings" previously in this section and Vehicle Personalization.

If turned on, the position saved to B is automatically recalled when one of the following occurs:

• The vehicle is turned off and the driver door is opened within a short time.
  • The vehicle is turned off with the driver door open.

To stop Easy Exit Recall movement, press any of the following memory controls:

• Power seat
  • Memory SET, 1, 2, or B
  • Power mirror, with the driver or passenger side mirror selected
  • Power steering wheel, if equipped
  • Adjustable pedals, if equipped

Obstructions

If something has blocked the driver seat and/or power steering wheel while recalling a memory position, the recall may stop. Remove the obstruction and try the recall again. If the memory position still does not recall, see your dealer for service.

BTW...owners manual is always good bathroom reading material...

Edited by newdude

Thanks for that!!  I must have missed that in my frantic scanning of the owner's manual.  I will try turning these features on later today.

So I went out to my truck quickly to see if I could turn this feature on.  When I select 'Vehicle' > 'Comfort and Convenience' my only option is 'Chime Volume'.  Auto Memory Recall, Easy Exit Options, Reverse Tilt Mirror, and Auto Mirror Folding do not show up....  I will try the other key later when I get home, but why would these not be listed for either key!? 

That’s not on my options either only time it has ever come up on my 18 LTZ in the DIC is when I unhooked the batter and hooked it back up. When I put the key in it said memory seats are setting 2 so I assumed I had the second key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Kubs said:

So I went out to my truck quickly to see if I could turn this feature on.  When I select 'Vehicle' > 'Comfort and Convenience' my only option is 'Chime Volume'.  Auto Memory Recall, Easy Exit Options, Reverse Tilt Mirror, and Auto Mirror Folding do not show up....  I will try the other key later when I get home, but why would these not be listed for either key!? 

Should have showed up.  Also, remember its to the key fob, not the key itself. 

When I was at the dealer picking it up I thought I saw the options for auto memory and back up mirror tilt, but both fobs were in the truck.  I will try swapping fobs later and see if it changes.

So I got in the truck to leave work and the full menu showed up this time. I guess this is a my link issue across multiple models that those specific options in 'Comfort  Convenience' do not show up, according  to google. After getting home and turning on the seat and exit functions sure enough both keys register and show in DIC, and move the seat to the correct position.

Thanks for the help guys! If anyone knows of a fix for the buggy menu I'm all ears.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up a dead thread but, I have an odd issue on my 2018 Equinox Premier that is driving me nuts and I am hoping one of you guys can help?

We just bought the Equinox and one of our keys is RKE #1 and the other is RKE #3, anybody know how to change #3 to be #2 so I can use the automatic settings associated with it?

Thanks!